Suggest a book based on my recent favorites.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't read much in the fantasy world other than Tolkien a long time ago, devoured GRRM once the HBO series came on, and recently read all of Abercrombie's books. I loved GRRM and Abercrombie. I'd love to find something else in the fantasy world that draws me in quickly like Abercrombie. I loved his brutality, the dark comedy, and the twists. What should I read next?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Allow me to be the first to say The Black Company series, by Glen Cook.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch
I forget the exact series name, but a trilogy about an Assassin by Brent Weeks
Malazan by Erikson
The Name of the Wind etc. by Patrick Rothfuss

That's just a start, I'm forgetting many but that will get you looking in the right direction.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Allow me to be the first to say The Black Company series, by Glen Cook.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch
I forget the exact series name, but a trilogy about an Assassin by Brent Weeks
Malazan by Erikson
The Name of the Wind etc. by Patrick Rothfuss

That's just a start, I'm forgetting many but that will get you looking in the right direction.
All of these books except for Brent Weeks. That guy is a shitastic writer and a hack. He's terrible. I am embarassed to admit that I read that trilogy during a low point in my books.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well you sir are off my Christmas list!

That being said, I haven't read his newest series yet, so I have no idea if he's pulled a Peter V. Brett and descended into shitasticery. I liked the assassin trilogy quite a bit though.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
fifty-shades-of-grey.jpg

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Heroes die, by matthew stover
Prince of nothing series, by r. Scott bakker
Book of swords series, by fred saberhagen
I could go on

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My turn! I hated Prince of Nothing. I would have liked it pretty much if it didn't have the main character, but that sort of defeats the purpose I suppose.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everything by Brandon Sanderson
Malazan
The Black Company books
Night Angel trilogy
Rothfuss

Wheel of Time - I kinda think this is something every fantasy reader should read, not because it's the best thing out there though

Dresden Files - Urban fantasy I guess? Still awesome and something I'd recommend to anyone

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Wasn't a big fan of Weeks' assassin trilogy but he's improved quite a lot in his Lightbringer series. Also, Heroes Die, yes, everyone should read that, especially if you love Abercrombie, you should love Caine.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can already feel the negs coming before I type this...

I love fantasy but I didn't really enjoy Malazan. I thought I would start to like it based on all the good reviews and I read up to book 4 or 5 before I finally gave up.

I can recommend everything else people have posted though.

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I listen to audiobooks. I started listening to The Black Company, but couldn't stand the reader's monotonous voice. Especially after listening to Red Country read by Stephen Pacey (this guy can do amazing voices). So I started listening to the first Mistborn book, The Final Empire. Holy shit. The magic system is fucking epic. Did Sanderson create this magic system?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As far as I know he did, and yes it is awesome. As is most anything Brandon Sanderson puts his hand to. A few of his early books are noticeably rougher (Elantris), but still worth the read.

I've listened to like three audiobooks in my life, and that was 20 years ago when driving back and forth to college (cassette tape bitches!), so I can't help any with those suggestions. A terrible voice would definitely take me out of it too I'd imagine, but if you don't mind reading the books you should really try The Black Company novels.

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
As far as I know he did, and yes it is awesome. As is most anything Brandon Sanderson puts his hand to. A few of his early books are noticeably rougher (Elantris), but still worth the read.

I've listened to like three audiobooks in my life, and that was 20 years ago when driving back and forth to college (cassette tape bitches!), so I can't help any with those suggestions. A terrible voice would definitely take me out of it too I'd imagine, but if you don't mind reading the books you should really try The Black Company novels.
My old man did a lot of driving for work. He'd go to the library and check out four of five books on tape a week and then dub them onto blank cassettes or over books that he had already listened to. Hell this had to have been back in the 80's or so because he even used to pay me to do the dubbing. So I was brought into piracy at a young age. Maybe that's why I have a 20 terrabyte media center with thousands of movies, tv shows, music, etc.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I haven't read much in the fantasy world other than Tolkien a long time ago, devoured GRRM once the HBO series came on, and recently read all of Abercrombie's books. I loved GRRM and Abercrombie. I'd love to find something else in the fantasy world that draws me in quickly like Abercrombie. I loved his brutality, the dark comedy, and the twists. What should I read next?
Gritty, darker fantasy isn't as common as you would think. Heroes Die has already been mentioned a few times, and I'd definitely bump that up the list. Child of Fire ( Harry Connolly ) is also excellent and pretty damn grim. The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham probably also qualifies, although I am hesitant to recommend it - if hoping all the main characters would die in a fire is a barrier to enjoying the book, I'd avoid it. ( Some people don't care if the characters are completely unsympathetic ) ;p

Ah yes, 'Already Dead' by Charlie Huston. 'Feast of Souls' by C.S. Friedman.

velk

Trakanon Raider
All of these books except for Brent Weeks. That guy is a shitastic writer and a hack. He's terrible. I am embarassed to admit that I read that trilogy during a low point in my books.
Ouch harsh. His night angel books were pretty bad, although I don't regret reading them. I thought his current series, starting with Black Prism was heaps better though. Not really what the OP was after though I suspect.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not mentioned and not nearly as popular, but I found it interesting so far:The Thief-Taker's Apprentice seriesby Stephen Deas. I haven't read the third one yet, but the first two build an interesting story with some unique characters. And it's almost all set in one city, which I enjoy a lot as it makes the place feel more real.