Suikoden 1 and 2

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Never played them. Can I get the skinny on what makes them good? Story? Music? Gameplay? Turn Based? 10 year plan (like destiny)?

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
JRPG + 108 characters to "collect" + town/castle building

Combat is similar to FF turn-based (or maybe chrono trigger would be more precise). I just really enjoyed these games, especially the second one.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Haven't played the second one (yet) but the first one was pretty much perfect in every way. 6 man turn based combat with double and triple player combos based on party members and group position. 108 total party members to find and recruit, mostly all unique with individual personalities. As you find more, your castle expands which was all kinds of awesome and original at the time. Large scale battles where, if I am remembering correctly, can result in permanent loss of party characters if you werent careful.

The storyline is top notch as well. I read a reviewer describing it as game of thrones meets FF which is pretty acurate. The typical warring kingdom tropes but done very well. I remember getting hit in the feels quite a few times. One of my favorite things about the story was that it didn't drag out. For me Most RPG's have a way of feeling dragged out and eventually feel like a chore, but Suikoden ended right when it should have clocking in at about 40 hrs for me. Keep in mind that was my best time way back in the psx era after having beat the game a few times and missing a few of the 108 characters.

It's been so long since I played the original and it still stands out as one of the all time best RPGs I ever played. It ranks among Xenogears and Chrono Trigger IMO and by all accounts Suikoden 2 is considered better in everyway. I am looking foward to sitting down and playing through both of them over the course of the week. It's a MUST play for RPG lovers.

Moebiwan

shitlord
Suikoden 1 has been on PSN for PS3 for a long time (I've had it for several years now). Did they take it down at some point or something? Either way, fantastic game, and it's still fantastic all these years later.
When I played Suikoden 1 on the PS1, the thing that stuck with me for so long was the music. Lush at times, used properly, never weirdly jarring. Replaying it a few years ago just brought back the feels. One of the few JRPGs that I truly love.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this readily available viaother meansfor PC (or does anyone have any experience in getting them to work / quality)? Don't have my PS3 anymore and would love to play them. Thread reminded me of missing out years ago.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Suikoden 2 is widely regarded as among the best RPGs of the PS1 era, and if I had a functioning PS3 or PS4 I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Suikoden Tactics was actually pretty good, too, and used data from your prior game's saves. Next to Tactics Ogre, probably one of the most under the rador JRPGs of all time.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Suikoden 2 is one of my all time favorites. How can you say no to a game with the iron chef mafia in it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It is bullshit I cannot play it with the PS4.
Agreed. These games are so fucking awesome and I want to play them on my PS 4 damn it.

2 was indeed the better game, I wish the full scale army battles though would have kept the rock/paper/scissors styles that the first one had.

Vinen

God is dead
Heck yeah I sold disc only and the original strat guide for 170.00 or so.
Will still be worth a ton. My copy of Valkyrie Profile didn't lose any value when the PSP version came out.

(My prized PS1 era possessions are sealed copies of Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar 1, Lunar 2 and Tactics: Ogre)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Happy that the PS3 and PS4 power cords are the same, easy swap out to hook up the PS3 for a little bit to go through these.

Siliconemelons

Will still be worth a ton. My copy of Valkyrie Profile didn't lose any value when the PSP version came out.

(My prized PS1 era possessions are sealed copies of Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, Lunar 1, Lunar 2 and Tactics: Ogre)
The big Lunar (esp 1) boxes are awesome and totally worth their 80$ or so at launch- that and they are awesome games.

Suikoden 1 I need to play- the need to steal my ps3 slim back from my kids room to my bedroom is increasing!

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider

Bastard. For years I tried to get my hands on Valkyrie Profile for the PSX for a reasonable price. One of the main reasons I got a PSP was to get that version of it since I figured I'd be able to get enough other games to justify the expense (I did). I still have opened versions of Lunar 1 and 2 (2's box has a bit of "cat chewing" damage on it though).

Years ago my friend let me borrow Suikoden 1 and I finished it with all but one character. Bothered me that I missed one but never went back to get. I always wanted to play 2 but never got around to it. So I'll probably pick these up at some point.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
About 10 hours in to 1 and loving it. Only complaint is inventory management, but everything else so far makes up for that.