Sunless Sea, related to Fallen London setting

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So happened across this and am quite excited as it reminds me of games of old. Going to buy and play when I get home breaking my on sale only rule. I'm unfamiliar with the Fallen London browser game it shares a setting with, but it's a lovecraftian sorta dark setting complete with fear/madness meter.

This guy has a decent lets play. Has a 2nd season that has a little less explanation and more quickly jumps around. Though like a lot of casters seems pretty noob resulting in yelling at the screen.Let Dappingtonshire - YouTube

A recent update though has changed the encounter based combat into some kind of realtime which I don't know if makes it worse, I was just happy with the way the game was looking with the old style. (Though did I suppose result in repetative combats where you handle each enemy in a defined set of abilities. IE Evade till 100meter then fire till dead or flare x3 then fire till dead.)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really want to like Sunless Sea, since I love games like Pirates! and Space Rangers, but I think it needs a few more months of polish before it's worth putting the time into playing. Currently, the pace is rather slow which makes do-overs kind of tedious, I don't like how you use the starter ship for a really long time before finally being able to buy a new one, engine upgrades give an absurdly small increase in speed, and the combat involves a bit too much just sailing in circles. I think they need to work on the interface some too, most of the mission stuff that tells you why something is locked or unlocked reads like debugging messages rather than actual game text. Because I think the game has so much potential, I'd hate to spoil the experience by playing it all the way to the end before they clean it up some more.

TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." does a pretty good job of showing what the game is like too:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get why they made the game so text heavy, and then use such a tiny font on such a small window to read it

This is very exhausting.

Sludig

I almost think they try to make the game as oppresive as the atmosphere in the game.

Few things you like really need a guide or else you'll never see true endings to different stories. Was a little unhappy with some combat changes etc. (Namely made torpedoes take ammo which was one of few things making fighting ships not a waste) Didnt get a chance to really re get into it yet from when I first set it down.

For what it is, I still think it's neat, but I suppose in some ways a Demon Souls for it's genre in terms of tedium, need for careful choices, etc. Nothing like forgetting multiple saves and ending stranded in middle of ocean. GG

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so how do you turn on saving? Given how it's taking ages to get somewhere, I'd rather not start over from scratch..

Especially how long it takes to acquire the 3k you need to get a ship that isn't complete shit.

Sludig

Saving, iirc (been a long time) is an option turned on in london in one of the many town menus or I think can only be done in when docked.