Super Mario Odyssey

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't get mine till tomorrow afternoon, but moonmoon is streaming it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game's metacritic is too shitty to warrant its own thread imo

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Let me preface this by saying I loooved Galaxy (I 242 starred it, or whatever the max was), and like most guys our age, 120 starred World a couple times when I was a kid.

I think Odyssey is great - but it's not better than World or Galaxy (so far).

Upsides:
This is the Adult Swim of Mario games. So many random elements and possessions guarantee you have not seen anything like this.
The music is fantastic - even better than Galaxy's orchestral sound track.
Plus the standard great gameplay.

Downsides: This is far less directed than Galaxy. To be clear, anyone who hasn't suffered recent head trauma can get enough moons to open up the next world. (Apparently the game is structured a lot like 3D Land, so you are actively hurting yourself by trying to clear out a world prior to "beating" the game.) But when it comes to getting all the moons, its like pulling teeth - you can get the "name" of the moon and pay 50 coins to get the location on the map, but that doesn't help much when it just shows the entrance to a sub-area. Stuff is hidden everywhere, and its not always clear if you can't get something because you haven't hit the first ending or because you didn't try something.

Controls seem a bit wonky - way too easy to overcorrect and have Mario do his backflip instead of jumping forward. Also seems tough to walk in a straight line, but that may just be me not being used to the Switch controls (only bought it last week and have only played Picross.

Motion controls are essentially mandatory (in spots). There's a non-motion option for one or two moves (although the option is annoying itself), but it's been proven some things cannot be reached without a longer motion-boosted jump. The flicking isn't really easy even on a pro-controller - so (at least a couple spots) are essentially JoyCon Mandatory.

Quasi-spoiler: The reward for all moons is another 3D Land-style death course. Unless you are collecting things for the fun of collecting or have 12 year old reflexes, it's not worth it.

If you have the limited spending power and infinite free time of a preteen/teen, this is probably the best Mario ever. For everyone else, it's merely one of the best.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yep, this is crack lol. I'm not even really a huge mario fan or anything(this is my first 3D mario) and 2.5 hours flew by. Running around and finding all the stuff is just addicting.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Almost smashed a controlled trying to steer these bullet bills. Kid loves playing this via 2player mode where she can just be the hat.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Last Mario I played was Super Mario Brothers 3.

Have there been that many since?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Last Mario I played was Super Mario Brothers 3.

Have there been that many since?

If we only count main line games (a somewhat subjective notion) on home consoles: Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and now Super Mario Odyssey. So 6. If you stray a little off the main line you can also add Yoshi's Island, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Maker. So 6 + 5 = 11. And if you add handheld games you get also Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario Run... So 6 + 5 + 5 = 16 Mario games since SMB3.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Game is a lot of fun if a bit too easy so far (only about two hours in). I haven't come close to dying yet which is a Mario first. It feels more like the Galaxy games than 64.

The only things I don't like so far are the lame looking rabbit bosses.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Feels like a nice Galaxy successor so far. My one complaint is the motion controls make it harder to play while I'm taking a dump (you know that's why you bought a Switch).

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Going to bump this thread cuz in 3 weeks tops it will be page 2.

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Crisco

A greasy jar
Picked this up and it is pretty fun. started playing then looked at the clock, 3 hours went by. Really looking forward to all the other kingdoms.

Moon have been good to pick up, usually get a few just wondering around. Not sure how crazy it will be to get them all but feel getting most of them will be good, with a few annoying ones when almost collecting them all.

Overall I feel it deserves the praise.

Last edited:

Ladro

Anomaly
Been playing this a bit, definitely different but it's just so damn fun and feels great with all the little things you can do. Dig the throwback side scrolling parts, they did a good job incorporating it into the new gameplay.

It's one of those pick it up and play for a bit and not realize how much time goes by. With something like 800 moons to collect, I can see this easily having 80+ hours to complete.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I wish this were a metroid game or smash bros instead.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Well Switch is for sure getting a new Metroid and I imagine a Smash port as well.