Suspiria (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fedor

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Suspiria (2018)

Tagline: Give your soul to the dance.

Genre: Thriller, Horror

Director: Luca Guadagnino

Cast: Dakota Johnson, Mia Goth, Tilda Swinton, Lutz Ebersdorf, Chloë Grace Moretz, Jessica Harper, Sylvie Testud, Angela Winkler, Malgorzata Bela, Ingrid Caven, Renée Soutendijk, Vanda Capriolo, Toby Ashraf, Fabrizia Sacchi, Elena Fokina, Olivia Ancona, Christine Leboutte, Paolo Vanoli

Release: 2018-11-02

Runtime: 145

Plot: A young ballet dancer travels to a prestigious dance academy in Europe, only to discover it is a front for something far more sinister and supernatural amidst a series of increasingly grisly murders.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The original is still great . Why remake this.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The original is still great . Why remake this.
source.gif

• 3Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>

reviews so far make it sound like they shit the bed hard with this one. Bleak, muted palette, incredibly boring, the screenwriter apparently hated the original. No clue why you'd remake Argento and not realize what made his films great. Amazon will now be a hard 0 / 2 with remakes of really good horror/suspense movies. They're doing their best to catch up with Netflix in releasing as much absolute garbage that they can in the name of having an original tag attached to it.

Fucking Thom Yorke sounding like pre-electronic Radiohead is a nice thing to get out of it all

• 3Like

Szlia

To be fair, Profondo Rosso >>>>> Suspiria.

EDIT: Also I have not seen A Bigger Splash and Call Me By Your Name, but Io sono l'amore was an impressive movie (possibly helped by the John Adams score, but this time he has Thom Yorke so he is also getting helped!)

EDIT 2:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, Profondo Rosso >>>>> Suspiria.

I too prefer Deep Red but we are probably in the minority. Consensus seems to be Suspiria is the better film.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They remade Disturbia?

220px-Disturbia.jpg

I swear to god for the last decade I thought this movie of Shia's was named Susperia and was really confused by this thread.

• 2Worf

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I too prefer Deep Red but we are probably in the minority. Consensus seems to be Suspiria is the better film.
I always found that his style worked better as horror rather than suspense. The last time I watched Deep Red so many things stood out as just awkward film making. Ridiculous sound and score cuts, incoherent pacing, literally every extra is just standing there staring at a wall and not moving. A bunch or small things whose absurdity seems more at place in a horror than a black glove killer suspense although I could never discount his ability to make either. I could see a Deep Red rehash working a lot better under the weird writing and direction that the new Suspiria took than the carnival like art nouveau of the original. All of his films have that amazing quality where it seems like an alien watched some horror/suspense and tried to make a human movie but, after rewatching a bunch of giallo must sees over the past few months, Suspiria, and to a lesser extent Inferno, still hold a lot of charm and can stand as decent horror in a sea of like genre movies made with much less heart than his suspense which has been more than perfected since by many other directors.

Deep Red is the first one scored by Goblin I think? Been a fun few months revisiting a bunch of Italian horror/suspense. Weird fucking filmmakers but those guys had some balls, no half measures with them at all. Fulci had an entire movie centered around killing kids. If only they'd have hung it up when they were losing their touch, sad watching anything past a certain point of Argento's. End of the mothers trilogy is really sad, all of those old idiosyncrasies didn't hold up well with an aging Argento and modern film equipment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database