Tales of Arise

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This probably should have its own thread instead of just being mentioned in the JRPG one.

Demo is out now for consoles. It's coming to PC as well, but I don't think there's any plans for a demo there, at least not before release (Sept. 10).

Haven't done anything beyond booting it up on XSX and choosing a character, but it certainly looks great (and runs at 60 fps).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's this thread that you last posted in :)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

There's this thread that you last posted in :)
Ah, forgot that one existed since it hasn't been bumped since ToV DE was new.

I hope this is good. Vesperia was a chore to finish.
Same. I feel like I never quite "get" the Tales combat system and just end up mashing buttons. I've heard there are some significant changes in Arise, but so far that's all I'm doing this time too (playing as Shionne atm). The demo throws you into mid-game with L25 characters and no idea what you're doing so that doesn't help a lot.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Button mashing probably better idea than trying to pull off 100+ hit combos that aren't interesting or deep enough to make the combat enjoyable unlike say FFVII remake where getting good at combos is actually rewarding.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ok played a bit. It looks gorgeous and runs well on PS5. Not going to bother playing through it all as I generally dislike being dropped in the middle of the story and level 25 and having no idea what any of the skills do.

I’ll wait for reviews but it’s most likely going to be a buy for me unless it gets terrible reviews.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Dem fighting words bih, Vesperia was glorious - everything else after especially those abortions on nintendo were bad.

Mourg

Trakanon Raider
I was going to play Vesperia only to realize i'd finished it a year earlier. I couldn't remember a thing about it past the first 20 minutes. Utterly forgettable game? or old man brain?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Utterly forgettable. I kept waiting for it to get "good" since so many praised it. Absolute snooze fest.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I've gotten far in Vesperia (50+ hours in) a few times, but never finished it. Only Tales game I finished was Berseria. The others after that I never got into much.

I enjoyed this demo though, so will most likely pick it up if reviews are good. Not a pre-order.

Vorph

The demo definitely doesn't make me want to run out and pre-order it, but I still can't tell if it's just a shitty demo or the game itself is meh. I'm leaning towards it just being a shitty demo because demos that throw you into the middle of the game with zero context always suck ass, but for now GameFly seems like the way to go.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Happy to see the scores, think the only other Tales game to get over 85+ on MC was Symphonia on the Gamecube days. Have this preordered for my PS5.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well this is good news, I enjoyed the demo and was waiting for reviews to make a final decision. This makes it rather easy to decide.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This probably should have its own thread instead of just being mentioned in the JRPG one.

Demo is out now for consoles. It's coming to PC as well, but I don't think there's any plans for a demo there, at least not before release (Sept. 10).

Haven't done anything beyond booting it up on XSX and choosing a character, but it certainly looks great (and runs at 60 fps).

I thought about picking this up, but I don't think I have time for it unfortunately. Not even close. It looks good though, and I want to play a Tales game. I've tried to get into this series multiple times and it never clicks past the first couple of hours. I think the furthest I ever got was Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube, which I spent around 8-10 hours on...enough for the sunk cost fallacy to kick in and make me want to power through and finish it even though it just wasn't grabbing me.

At the very least I'm gonna play Berseria. That seems to be the one I see raved about the most, the main character is hot as fuck, and I've liked all the clips of it I've seen. It would also be cool to play the original Phantasia for Super Famicom.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
For story, Abyss is #1, better character growth than most RPGs. They all have pretty fun gameplay and exploration though. Hoping the story here is good too, because the gameplay already looks great.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I thought about picking this up, but I don't think I have time for it unfortunately. Not even close. It looks good though, and I want to play a Tales game. I've tried to get into this series multiple times and it never clicks past the first couple of hours. I think the furthest I ever got was Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube, which I spent around 8-10 hours on...enough for the sunk cost fallacy to kick in and make me want to power through and finish it even though it just wasn't grabbing me.

At the very least I'm gonna play Berseria. That seems to be the one I see raved about the most, the main character is hot as fuck, and I've liked all the clips of it I've seen. It would also be cool to play the original Phantasia for Super Famicom.
Berseria was pretty cool, although the story is very anime, in fact most of them have very anime tropes and stuff. It at least starts a bit different than the usual "a young boy in a random village begins his adventure" kind of trope. The combat is what makes Tales though, and Berseria was great for that, imo the best in the modern modern(as in the 3D systems). Every character feels very unique to play, while in some of the older ones, you have not nearly as much depth into each character's combat so it feels a bit boring.

That said if you're not sure and assuming you don't want to pirate, getting Berseria on a deep sale for 10bucks or whatever is definitely a much better idea than buying this new, although this looks like it makes a lot of improvements. That or waiting a few months for a sale on this, Bandai does pretty good sales usually, so in like 6months I expect this to be available for 25$ or something like that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and bought it on Steam. Should have a little time between everyone being sick and most work stuff being canceled due to Ida. Kind of enjoying the lull honestly.