Tales of Maj'Eyal

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The shits real classic and announces player achievements and deaths. Really amusing death texts too.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I think I have more hours in tome than in all other roguelikes combined. I give it two thumbs up for the best of the genre.

It has been a while since the last DLC, but it's not like it is an early-access game or anything, it's been fully complete since like 2010, and the base game has enough content for like 3 full games anyway. Other than the orc campaign, the DLC just add new classes and such.

It's more diablo-like than most roguelikes, with a truly insane amount of equipment progression ( if anything, equipment analysis fatigue would be one of my downsides ).

It's also notable for some of the most in-depth and distinct character based gameplay - the different classes play very differently, even the same class can play very differently based on their talent builds.

It is also brutally unfair, and you will die - a lot. If that doesn't appeal, you can always play explorer mode or something, but why resort to abject cowardice ? ;p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It has been a while since the last DLC, but it's not like it is an early-access game or anything, it's been fully complete since like 2010, and the base game has enough content for like 3 full games anyway. Other than the orc campaign, the DLC just add new classes and such.
Yeah I'm not saying it's incomplete or whatever, just that patches have stopped for a while, while many other roguelikes still constantly patch random shit in every now and then(DCSS for example gets patches every few months with new shit).

The game could also use bugfix patches, there's always a ton of known bugs, not necessarily major ones that break the game but that skill doesn't work with these items kind of thing.

One of the things Darkgod(main dev) teased in the next DLC patch too was a shorter more randomized campaign(rescaling of xp, dungeons that are available are more random instead of being somewhat fixed with a few optional dungeons being random kind of thing), leading to less fatigue from running the game over and over in roughly the same places(the dungeons themselves have randomized maps obviously, but all my runs pretty much followed the same route, and especially in part 2 there's very little randomization). Not having that kinda sucks too.

It is what it is though I don't regret buying the game(I even bought the cosmetics pack shit I never used just to help the dev a bit more since it was worth it) but it sucks it went that way, if they had kept up the updates like when I played the game would be much different today I think since they were patching like every 4-6months and it's been 3-4years of nothing. It is my favorite roguelike still though, I wouldn't have put that much time into it otherwise and whenever the DLC releases I'll definitely be going back to it for a while.

In the meanwhile there's a ton of other games to play in the genre so I've been going at them every now and then. Currently playing Barony which is an interesting take on the genre(it's real time first person so plays very differently but lots of similarities), and in may Path of Achra releases fully so I'll be going back to that, played for a couple of weeks in early access a few months ago, the guy patching this literally releases patches every day though so the game has a ton more shit than since I last played, also different take on the genre with even less things outside of combat(as in none at all, you just fight) and a simplified combat with shorter runs, usually 1hour or less per run. Caves of Qud has a planned release at the end of the year(likely next year though cause no way they don't get delays) so that's another one to look forward to I've been holding off until it's 1.0, and I'll go back to DCSS at some point as there's been a ton of changes since I last played.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
if they had kept up the updates like when I played the game would be much different today I think since they were patching like every 4-6months and it's been 3-4years of nothing. It is my favorite roguelike still though, I wouldn't have put that much time into it otherwise and whenever the DLC releases I'll definitely be going back to it for a while.

Hey, it's not that bad - the last patch was july 2023, and it's already had 14 years of regular patching ;p

I am not sure you can ask much more from something with the outrageously steep price of $0.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hey, it's not that bad - the last patch was july 2023, and it's already had 14 years of regular patching ;p

I am not sure you can ask much more from something with the outrageously steep price of $0.
Na last "real" patch is June 2021. In may 2023 they did release a patch that was a few bug fixes and modding changes in preparation for the DLC beta, and in july they released a 2 lines patch that fixed some website stuff, but for the most part there hasn't been one of the bigger patches they used to do with class reworks and stuff since 2021.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, a decade long necro with me being the last one to reply. Don't even remember writing it lol. Haven't played in years, but need to give it a go again. I love these types of games that are made by small indy dev teams where the time and effort goes into the game and not fancy graphics. Though that said, I do like the graphics in this. Nice retro feel but still crisp. Battle of Wesnoth is in the same league IIRC, small indy team, decent but old school graphics, but lots of depth to gameplay.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Wow, a decade long necro with me being the last one to reply. Don't even remember writing it lol. Haven't played in years, but need to give it a go again. I love these types of games that are made by small indy dev teams where the time and effort goes into the game and not fancy graphics. Though that said, I do like the graphics in this. Nice retro feel but still crisp. Battle of Wesnoth is in the same league IIRC, small indy team, decent but old school graphics, but lots of depth to gameplay.

They fully replaced a lot of abilities, passives and sustains that were noob traps since my pals who recommended it to me played.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Downloaded it for free on the website and did my first run yesterday. I played a dwarf berserker and died at level 18 to some slavers (on adventure mode). The character customization seems really fun. I'm sure there are still tons of mechanics that I have no idea how they work. Lots of the items are a giant wall of text, one of my few complaints.

Is there any way to scale the UI? I only see the option to scale text but when you make it bigger to be readable it all overlaps itself all over the place and makes everything unreadable for a different reason.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Downloaded it for free on the website and did my first run yesterday. I played a dwarf berserker and died at level 18 to some slavers (on adventure mode). The character customization seems really fun. I'm sure there are still tons of mechanics that I have no idea how they work. Lots of the items are a giant wall of text, one of my few complaints.

Is there any way to scale the UI? I only see the option to scale text but when you make it bigger to be readable it all overlaps itself all over the place and makes everything unreadable for a different reason.

Yeah you can move resize all the ui elements, there's a lock icon on the, uh, bottom right by default I think ? Once unlocked, holding down right click on the anchor lets you resize the element, holding down left click lets you drag it around.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
My phase door that I aimed 5/5 points put me in the room with a ton of bad shit I was trying to get away from lol. Guess I need 5/5 teleport to hedge my bet. The upside is you cast on another monster or friendly and aim it as a cc/save. Great stuff.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Yeah you can move resize all the ui elements, there's a lock icon on the, uh, bottom right by default I think ? Once unlocked, holding down right click on the anchor lets you resize the element, holding down left click lets you drag it around.
I totally missed that. Thanks!