Tales of Xilia (PS3)

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I just went through all 22 pages of Other Games and pulled multiple specific searches and nothing came up - can I get a confirm/deny that we already have a thread for this? I could have sworn I fucking saw one. If so, link it please and we can get rid of this.

If not, here it is.

I picked up Tales of Xillia today with no experience with the past 'Tales' games and from what I understand 2 is on the way to the U.S. and with the impressions I have so far from ToX I'll definitely be excited to see 2.

It's a gorgeous JRPG with actual dialogue that doesn't make me feel like stabbing myself because it's translated so well and the characters mesh together very well. The voice acting is top notch and the cinematics are beautiful (not too lengthy but they push it at times) as well.

The gameplay is a perfect combination of typical Final Fantasy style while letting you take full control of your character and free roam in battle (although in a limited area, a battle sandbox if you will) & also has awesome chain attacks with really cool and well thought out skills and atres (spells). It's not extremely linear, you have a set destination most of the time but are also allowed a decent amount of free time throughout as well. The vendor system is unique and lets you upgrade shops through material donations and gold, which I found to be really cool. The skill trees are pretty basic at first, but the beauty is they allow each character into everything, so you don't feel trapped with having to have a golden combination. I would say the difficulty is a bit wimpy, especially at first, so I cranked it up to hard combat immediately and haven't turned it off yet even after the (don't want to spoil it so...) yawn yawn combat at the beginning of the game. It's much better on hard, otherwise I would have a serious problem with the game out of sheer combat boredom but it levels out well.

I'm only a couple of hours in and slugging through the first 30 minutes of durrrr I know how to play an RPG is totally worth it once you're done with all the bullshit. The story is pretty good so far as well, at least it's not cheesy, I'm not really far enough to make a call on how on depth it gets.

10/10 from my initial impressions. I'm hooked.

Tales of Xillia Wikipedia Link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Xillia

IGN review - 8/10
http://www.ign.com/games/tales-of-xillia/

GameFAQs page for Tales of Xilia for walkthroughs and other things (WARNING - links found in page contain SPOILERS, the base link itself is safe)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/616012-tales-of-xillia

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There wasn't a thread specifically for the game, we usedTales of...to discuss the game when it was released, not that much interest in it.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Ah, thx info. Hard to believe there wasn't much interest, maybe I'm just weird...I think it's a phenomenal crossover. I am also a huge Namco-Bandai fanboy so well, yeah.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah, thx info. Hard to believe there wasn't much interest, maybe I'm just weird...I think it's a phenomenal crossover. I am also a huge Namco-Bandai fanboy so well, yeah.
It's a good game but jrpgs are kinda niche, and Tales are even more so since they're so action oriented. Also they don't get as much promotion as say FF or KH.