Tax Reform and You

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
After discussing the Tax plan in the Politics thread and reading the below post from @AladainAF

Politics Thread

It got me thinking.

My point of this thread is to sort of chart how we in our own lives are affected or will be affected as either employees, entrepreneurs, business owners etc by these tax cuts.

Don't have to go into financial details etc if you don't want too but I thought a discussion about how this affects you individually as we go through the next year or so would be ideal.

An example would be like: I'm a business owner and we hired an extra person. Or I work in a factory and we are expanding / building a new facility somewhere.
Even if it's like: Job market is improved, I did an interview and got a better job or man my refund is larger / smaller than I tought.

Obviously we can point to Comcast, etc offering bonuses and such too but we got a lot of various people here and it will be interesting to see what people post.

May as well start off with myself first. From this plan living in IL, taking the standard deduction, I will see a couple thousand more than I would before. That's how this will affect me.

Tax Calculator : Tax Plan Calculator by Maxim Lott

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
heard some blabbing about doubling child credits...goddamn son.

If you spend more then 1k a year on childcare you can claim +2 for each kid already.

Thats 4 i can claim per kid in total? Doubling the initial adding the childcare credit?

waaaaat?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Married, no kids. Probably a wash because blue state. Not super clear on what, if anything, it will do to RSUs. Likely it just kicks me into higher taxes because it gets treated like income for no damn reason.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really need to step up my game. Tyen has this shit on lock. Marry someone, get foh shitposter to do the whole impregnating if I don't find her attractive, collect massive child credit, save money by shoving kid in a closet, spend difference on Indians caps and eq browsering.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When does the new tax plan go into effect? I'm guessing 2018 taxes, but they could make it apply to 2017.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
2018 taxes. If you're expecting a bigger refund in April you'll have to wait a year but you should see bigger paychecks in Jan as less is withholded.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
All I know is I'm pretty sure I need to switch from itemizing to taking the standard deduction. I'm in the highest bracket so this will potentially save me a bundle of cash but I think I'm going to actually need to get my taxes done professionally in 2019 to make sure.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
When does the new tax plan go into effect? I'm guessing 2018 taxes, but they could make it apply to 2017.

Once signed the new tax tables will be sent out to business from my understanding in February I believe & start taking less at that point from paychecks. It may be Jan though, but I heard at least Feb.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really need to step up my game. Tyen has this shit on lock. Marry someone, get foh shitposter to do the whole impregnating if I don't find her attractive, collect massive child credit, save money by shoving kid in a closet, spend difference on Indians caps and eq browsering.

You forgot the first step before getting married. 1. Have no conscience, self pride, or morals.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
according to that calculator I'm theoretically saving 5 grand. But I suppose most of that will be in the form of higher take-home not a return that's 5k higher next year.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was actually hoping for some help with this.

I'm a bit confused about the new pass-through rules. If I have a sole proprietorship that earns say 300k a year how will my taxes be effected (Just in general)?

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pro tip: when your paycheck gets bigger from the new tax rate, increase your 401k withholding so the difference all goes in the market. Live on what you have been, and grow your retirement.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rad

Lord of Guk
Pro tip: when your paycheck gets bigger from the new tax rate, increase your 401k withholding so the difference all goes in the market. Live on what you have been, and grow your retirement.

Fuck that, PABST and HOTDOGS.

• 7Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Dodsengel

Trakanon Raider
Married filing jointly w/ no kids taking the standard deduction would save me ~$5,600 based on that calculator. Apparently bonuses will be proportionately increased based on the new corporate tax rate as well but we'll see how all that shakes out. One thing about these companies coming out and saying they're giving people bonuses and raises because of the new taxes is it's made employees ask if that'll be happening to them as well.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've still got to see for sure what deductions are getting axed which involves far more than a simple calculator can figure out unfortunately. I've been able to deduct about half my income before (I'm 1099, not W2) - so if I fall into standard deduction range I'll probably be losing multiple thousands. But assuming my deductions stay as is, I'll be gaining a few thousand.

And regardless as 1099, I won't see any movement from it until approx April 2019 for sure.

As for when your payroll should see it, I've been told to expect to have new filing info sent off to the payroll folks for us by the end of Feb. Not sure how long for payroll to finish it up, and this employer seems faster for logistics like that than my previous ones. So unless we're running slow, I'd expect April to start seeing it live personally.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Married filing jointly w/ no kids taking the standard deduction would save me ~$5,600 based on that calculator. Apparently bonuses will be proportionately increased based on the new corporate tax rate as well but we'll see how all that shakes out. One thing about these companies coming out and saying they're giving people bonuses and raises because of the new taxes is it's made employees ask if that'll be happening to them as well.

What? Who else would companies be giving bonuses and raises to besides their employees? Are they saying they are giving bonuses and raises to random people on the street or something?

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I have a small business that's been around for about 7 years. This past year has been great and we need to build or buy a much bigger place.

I gave out normal bonuses 3 weeks ago but after reading about the new tax changes coming, feeling good about the business, (and following along in the politics thread) I gave everyone an additional $500 check today with their normal Friday paycheck. One of the employees that got back later in the day thought the extra check was a mistake and went to hand it back. I told her it was an additional bonus for a great year.

I haven't actually had time to see what, if anything, the tax changes will do for my S-Corp yet. But I'm very optimistic about 2018 either way.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm going to make out pretty well with this tax plan. A friend of mine with a small business (6 employees) will have his tax rate change from 27% to 38%. That sucks badly. If this prediction is right, he will almost certainly have to let someone go.