Taxes: Itemizing conference travel?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I did quite a bit of conference travel this year, which should easily count toward a professional expense. Although it was not required, it's by and large expected - and, unfortunately, not fully reimbursed.

Does anyone know if, for the purpose of a tax deduction, it matters when I spent the money or when the conference took place?

For example, for a conference in January I'd be billed for the first night in the hotel in 2011, but for the remainder of the stay not until 2012. Plane tickets and conference fees would also be charged in 2011, even though the actual conference is not until 2012. Similarly, I've now paid for conferences in 2013...

Also, are emailed receipts (e.g. of a plane ticket order) generally sufficient to make the deduction, or do I need some other paperwork?

How do I deal with trips that were partially reimbursed - where I paid the expense upfront and got it reimbursed with the next paycheck? (I'm pretty sure no taxes were withheld from that reimbursement.)

Thinking about the mess that is itemization, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a tax professional to do this for me. However, I'd at least like to make sure I have the paperwork in order and not look entirely foolish.
wink.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Whether you claim it on one year or the other isn't going to matter if you get audited as long as you aren't trying to evade taxes or double deduct anything. Just make sure it gets deducted on one year or the other.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

Also, generally speaking deductions are claimed in the year in which they are paid. This means if you want to pay ahead of time to make sure you pay in the current year, or wait to pay until the next year passes, that's fine. In this way you have some limited wiggle room.

As far as receipts, just keep whatever you get. Email receipts are fine, as long as they say "plane ticket date/date for x moneys". For the tax professional, you technically don't ever need to show a single receipt for anything - but then again that's why you sign the work agreement which says "(tax professional) is using information provided by client and is not responsible for its accuracy".

For expenses in which you are partially reimbursed, only deduct what you weren't reimbursed for. And yes, you may be getting taxed on employer reimbursements (really up to how your employer handles it), in which case it's just considered income and not a reimbursement - so you deduct the full amount.

Anyway, your tax guy will tell you all this, just keep your receipts, and schedule your payments as you choose and are able.