Taxes / Tax return questions

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I just did my taxes on TurboTax like every year and this year I am getting fucked with the AMT. However the typical scenario of who the AMT typically applies to doesn't seem to really describe me. I'm single, no dependents, have tax deducted at source, and have the typical deductions like mortgage interest, property tax, and state sales tax-- but that's about it. I did know I would owe taxes as almost 50% of my salary is bonuses, and they tax that at source at a flat 25% (which is too low), but I didn't think I was going to get assraped with the AMT.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I just did my taxes on TurboTax like every year and this year I am getting fucked with the AMT. However the typical scenario of who the AMT typically applies to doesn't seem to really describe me. I'm single, no dependents, have tax deducted at source, and have the typical deductions like mortgage interest, property tax, and state sales tax-- but that's about it. I did know I would owe taxes as almost 50% of my salary is bonuses, and they tax that at source at a flat 25% (which is too low), but I didn't think I was going to get assraped with the AMT.
From my understanding of AMT it means that you have a fair bit of Schedule A deductions, how much your employer held wouldn't affect it, just how much you now have to pay that you hadn't already. It seems most people getting hit with the AMT are house rich making their deductions rather high for their income.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kids in china or AI becoming intelligent and self-aware? We may never know!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Targeted bots strike again! Holy shit. They're getting smrt.