Telltale games

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Telltale games

Telltale has downsized
Telltale Games restructures, cuts 90 staff

"Our industry has shifted in tremendous ways over the past few years. The realities of the environment we face moving forward demand we evolve, as well, reorienting our organization with a focus on delivering fewer, better games with a smaller team," said Telltale Games CEO Pete Hawley.

This could be great news if they really mean it, but it could just be a cover for other problems.

Been a fan of their games since Regime got me in to them. Since there's no general Telltale thread I'll give a one line description each game and whether or not I think they're worth playing. The engine they're using is pretty dated at this point but that doesn't really matter since their focus is on story telling. Their gimmick of making stories where choice matter isn't really true but I don't think that matters. No matter what choice you make you're still going to get the same big events with some minor tweaks based on choices made. If they've put some work in you may even get a couple spots with parallel stories but that will be the extent of it.

The Walking Dead
Worth playing. Probably the best game they've made. Great characters and story arcs. A story about a father trying to protect his daughter in a world gone mad.

The Wolf Among Us
Worth playing. Might be my favorite. A detective story set in the Fables universe.

The Walking Dead: Season Two
Skipable. Weaker characters and weaker stories. More adventures with a few characters from season one.

Season two DLC: 400 days:
Awful

Tales from the Borderlands
Worth playing. Great characters and story telling. Hyperion corporate middle management and Pandoran natives go on an adventure. A must of you like the Borderland universe but it's self contained in the case that you aren't.

Game of Thrones
Skip. Their worst game. It felt like a lazy retelling of other stories in the A Song of Ice and Fire universe.

Minecraft: Story Mode
Skip-able but not awful. Find the power of teamwork and save the world. This is the ABC Afterschool special of videogames.

The Walking Dead: Michonne.
Skip-able but not awful. Michonne stand alone adventure.

Batman: The Telltale Series.
Skip-able bordering on skip. The "Gameplay" was better than the other games but the story and a key character crashed and burned. Don't want to spoil it for those who want to play it.

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier.
Probably a skip. I played this intentionally trying to get everyone killed. They're just retelling the same scenario over and over again at this point.

I haven't played any of the newer ones since I wait for all episodes to come out. As they've picked up more projects their quality has gone down. Their best two games were the first two. Maybe this "restructring" will yield good results but I'm not holding my breath. Their model is stagnant and they're probably stretched thin. Dontnod's Life is Strange did a much better job with Telltale's model, but they've chosen a shitty character for Life is Strange 2 so I don't think their next game will be as successful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
People, like me, learned why am I paying $24.99 - $29.99 to get one episode of the game every 2 months, forget where the hell I was at in the story anyway, then see the full game 12 months later sold for $9.99 or free on a console service with the added benefit of playing it all at once.

Two best games they did was Monkey Island and Back to the Future.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People, like me, learned why am I paying $24.99 - $29.99 to get one episode of the game every 2 months, forget where the hell I was at in the story anyway, then see the full game 12 months later sold for $9.99 or free on a console service with the added benefit of playing it all at once.

Two best games they did was Monkey Island and Back to the Future.
Jurassic Park and Back to the Future are on my backlog list, but I don't know when I'll get around to them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed Thrones for what it was. It's worth playing if you like the Universe.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The only ones I played all the way through were the Back to the Future games, which I quite enjoyed. Despite the fact that they got Christopher Lloyd and a great Marty sound-alike, I still find it hard to consider the events of the games as taking place in the same universe as the movies.

I was looking forward to playing Telltales' Batman game (the free episode, at least), but the damned thing won't even start up on my PC.

norp

Bronze Squire
Haven't played a Telltale game since Tale from the Borderlands because that was the last good thing they did in my opinion. I'm actually glad they are changing things considering the last couple of years.

Wolf among us, and Tales from the Borderlands are must plays if you're into visual novels, imo.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Jurassic Park.

Skip. It's awful.

I like their games a lot since they tend to have good stories but their business model blows. 25 bucks upfront for a glitchy game that you won't be able to finish for almost a year because they're always doing 4 projects at once. If they just combined teams they could put out a better product on a better time frame. I don't think outside of the first Walking Dead i was ever in anticipation for the "next episode" and most of the time I would just forget for months at a time until something reminded me.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven't played a Telltale game since Tale from the Borderlands because that was the last good thing they did in my opinion. I'm actually glad they are changing things considering the last couple of years.

Wolf among us, and Tales from the Borderlands are must plays if you're into visual novels, imo.
If you haven't played them how do you know if they are good?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
batman telltale series came with this month's lootcrate. i'm enjoying it so far for a functionally free game, just finished episode 2

i've never played any of these games before. it's interesting how so many people complain about QTE's in games, but this is just one long QTE and people are happy with it

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
TwD 1 is amazing, 2 is good and 3 is ok.

Batman has a good story and the best gameplay so far.

Wolf had a great story, but I didn't like the ending much.

Thrones is a skip.

Borderlands is ok, but Burch is a faggot.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
batman telltale series came with this month's lootcrate. i'm enjoying it so far for a functionally free game, just finished episode 2

i've never played any of these games before. it's interesting how so many people complain about QTE's in games, but this is just one long QTE and people are happy with it
People don't like QTEs in their action games where they interrupt the flow of the game and remove control from the player, but in a story-based decision-making game they add a bit of engagement and keep you on your toes.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I generally like their games, only one I did not care to finish was GoT. Although I think they should have gone with entirely different characters for each walking dead season. S2 felt a bit forced at times. Have not tried 3 yet since I buy the bundle later.