Terraria

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Did a search and there wasn't a specific thread on this game, and I know there was one on FoH.

So I picked it up the other day during the Steam sale and have been losing many a hour to it so far. Was wondering what others thought of this game, and any tips you guys have would be appreciated as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The game will suck your life away for like a week then there is nothing more to do in it

However it is a fantastic week while it lasts

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's coming to Live / PS3 this quarter, and should be developed for beyond the initial release.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if there is another legal way to have fun for a week for 5$

Fazana_sl

shitlord
It's coming to Live / PS3 this quarter, and should be developed for beyond the initial release.
Thats good to hear for the console crowd, shame he wouldn't let someone else take over when the pc dev lost interest. Gaslamp Games of Dungeons of Dredmore fame even offered to take it over and he refused. I suspect what pissed people off the most was it being announced as out of future support right after the boxed copy was launched.

Still, for the ?1.50 or so every Steam sale it's more than worth it and there are some damn nice mods out there which are all the more impressive as there's no official mod support.

Starbound is something to keep an eye on, Terraria in space with mechs! I'll edit in a link tomorrow when back on my pc.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if there is another legal way to have fun for a week for 5$
What exactly is illegal and costs 5 bucks for an entire week? wtf lol

Fazana is hitting the nail on the head. Get some mods for this game and you'll have an even better time.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was hoping it would be out for the holidays so it could ruin my life when I had some free time.
tongue.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When it first came out I played it nonstop until I maxed out all my gear. Definitely worth five bucks. I wish MC had the boss summoning system and gear progression of Terraria.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played the hell out of it before the big update with all the new stuff. Then after the update I started up a new one and played the hell out of that. Its so ridiculously addictive.

Every time that game's name comes up, the overworld music plays in my head.

Reiker

Can't see myself giving money to these guys again even if Starbound is awesome. They promised all kinds of features for Terraria that would be included after you purchased the game, and then quickly just abandoned it as soon as the purchases started to dwindle a little. I'm just not into supporting developers that abandon unfinished games to make the same game (in space).

Alexzander

From reading between the lines in interviews, apparently there was some in-house drama at the end of Terraria's dev/support cycle. One of the creators went home to be a family man, one left to start working on Starbound. They appear to already have formed a team for post release content as well, but I guess they could have said that before Terraria came out.

At any rate, I was late to the Terraria party. I bought it after they stopped development/updates. I got my 10 bucks worth.

Holy shit, after checking Steam I got 85 hours out of it.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Can't see myself giving money to these guys again even if Starbound is awesome. They promised all kinds of features for Terraria that would be included after you purchased the game, and then quickly just abandoned it as soon as the purchases started to dwindle a little. I'm just not into supporting developers that abandon unfinished games to make the same game (in space).
It's not the same people, afaik nobody on the Starbound team worked on Terraria. They started work on it after Terraria announced it was done.

Edit: hmm I need to check again from what I've just seen above.

Right, there we go, the main Terraria dev held sole rights and hired people for specific jobs. He's the one that pulled the plug for family reasons after the box launch. The graphic artist who was hired for it is the lead dev on Starbound. So yeah I guess there is a connection but Terraria stopping before a whole load of future promises had been met was down to the main man.

Starbounds main "problem" so far is the sheer amount of time between updates on how far they are, they kicked out a character generator at christmas but sometimes the wording suggests they are still miles away from a launch. Possibly trying to bite off too much for a first release but I suppose aiming high shouldn't be dismissed too easily.

Alexzander

The graphic designer from Terraria left to form Chucklefish, which is developing Starbound.