The Al`kabor Project (EQMac) - PoP 1/5

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
There’s no mouse look which is a real downer. Is there any plans to put it in the game?

Hopefully not. Its classic and I think the ONLY EQ server in existence that still has this classic feature. Wish p99 would do it too.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
'EQ Cam' is what Sony called the mousewheel cam and it was added to the game in June 2003, which is roughly 6 months after our client's date.

We decided not to add it for a few reasons: 1) it's an out-of-era feature. 2) it provides an advantage to the user. 3) we can only add it to the PC client which would leave Mac users without this advantage. Honestly not having it also kept some known p99 troublemakers from playing here as well, to be candid.

I used to always play in the top down view: press F9 once, then hold alt+up arrow to extend the camera. This puts your camera above your head instead of eye level. It's a perfectly usable third person camera even if it's not as good as 'EQ Cam'. It's actually a superior camera when your back is to a wall.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone explain the “horse bug” with the classic models? It seems to me like using the classic model allows you to use a horse without the horse head in 1st person view or run speed changes, and would allow you to use duck to cancel spell casts.

Is that really a huge advantage? Does it work when attacking on a hybrid like BST? Trying to figure out if my alts should be races that I prefer the classic models on or if it doesn’t matter much.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I used to always play in the top down view: press F9 once, then hold alt+up arrow to extend the camera. This puts your camera above your head instead of eye level. It's a perfectly usable third person camera even if it's not as good as 'EQ Cam'. It's actually a superior camera when your back is to a wall.

that, and F9 twice -> zoom out, and IDK why anyone complains about no mouse look.

i mean, having to stand to cast spells is probably a bigger pain in the butt. people complaining about mouse look are probably so stubborn they didn't even make it as far as casting a spell tho, i suppose.

SDsurfer

Trakanon Raider
that, and F9 twice -> zoom out, and IDK why anyone complains about no mouse look.

i mean, having to stand to cast spells is probably a bigger pain in the butt. people complaining about mouse look are probably so stubborn they didn't even make it as far as casting a spell tho, i suppose.
You get used to something forever and going back is awkward. I played a bit last night. More of a setup UI night and aligning windows. It didn’t bother me as much since I just ran first person. It won’t bother me much as I get more used to it and forget about the mouse look of the newer client.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain the “horse bug” with the classic models? It seems to me like using the classic model allows you to use a horse without the horse head in 1st person view or run speed changes, and would allow you to use duck to cancel spell casts.

Is that really a huge advantage? Does it work when attacking on a hybrid like BST? Trying to figure out if my alts should be races that I prefer the classic models on or if it doesn’t matter much.

correct huge advantage

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The biggest advantage is being able to med at all times without sit agro and also never having to worry about toggling sit/stand for your hotkey controlled alts.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I get those advantages, which I agree do seem like a huge deal, but those are also available without the “horse bug” to my understanding.

I’m trying to figure out if the run speed changes and ability to duck are also game-changers because there are some races that I really don’t like the classic models as much as the Luclin ones (Iksar, Vah Shir for example).

As an aside I’ve been slowly playing up a Pal/Shm/Wiz trio and been having a blast. At this point in my life I don’t have the copious amounts of free time required to play P99 so being able to show up to a camp and usually find it either open or one other person that I can team up with has been great. People are super nice to noobs and free hand me downs are pretty common which I’ve then passed on to other noobs when I get an upgrade.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Correct me if I’m wrong because I am not high level yet:

Horse + Luclin Models = Medding on horse, no sit/stand, horse head in your way, slow to start/stop running but various speeds available

Horse + Classic Models = Medding on “horse” but no actual horse just the buff icon, no sit/stand, no horse head, no movement speed changes

Sorry if my question was confusing I may completely misunderstand how the bug works. I thought that medding at all times and not having to toggle sit/stand work regardless of which models you use.

Edit: I probably didn’t word this well but I’m wondering how big an advantage using the classic models is over using the Luclin models if one prefers the Luclin ones

Leon

<Silver Donator>
One of the many things about medding with the horse bug is you don't have to dismount to interrupt your cast, you can just duck it, which you can't do with luclin models.

If you're boxing a cleric or any sort of a caster it's a royal pain in the ass to have to dismount every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leon

<Silver Donator>
i don't believe you get the speed tho? I'm only using el cheapo 8k horses on the clerics so i legit have no idea.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Gonna need TAKP to finally finish Planes so I can make a proper classic to PoP boxing server. :(

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems decent around 100-150 on most times (that includes some traders though) and at least 2-3 guilds clearing VT. I’m only in my 40s though so might not have the best take on things.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Regime Regime

We still going strong. Pop is healthy (well for TAKP anyway). It's not p99 and it will never be, but you know that already :p

There are quite a few guilds raiding strong, Nephilim/azure guard is basically doing the same thing tem is doing, got there a little later than we did but in the long run it makes no difference. Destiny made it to VT recently.

Luclin is stale as fuck, weakest of all the xpac, but we slog along. I ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Seems there's been a surge of new players in the last few days, talked to quite a few young ones coming from p99 green (??) who want to go further than velious.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I get those advantages, which I agree do seem like a huge deal, but those are also available without the “horse bug” to my understanding.

I’m trying to figure out if the run speed changes and ability to duck are also game-changers because there are some races that I really don’t like the classic models as much as the Luclin ones (Iksar, Vah Shir for example).

As an aside I’ve been slowly playing up a Pal/Shm/Wiz trio and been having a blast. At this point in my life I don’t have the copious amounts of free time required to play P99 so being able to show up to a camp and usually find it either open or one other person that I can team up with has been great. People are super nice to noobs and free hand me downs are pretty common which I’ve then passed on to other noobs when I get an upgrade.

i love PAL / SHM / NEC, and yeah i bet having WIZ instead works pretty well. NEC in there can be a lot of extra actions per minute, WIZ would be cool to just be able to nuke 'em down once PAL and SHM get things settled.... before i went PAL / SHM / NEC i was PAL / NEC / DRU.... switched DRU out for SHM for slows, but really miss the ports. now i'm almost wishing i had just dropped Pharmakos (my NEC name always) and made a WIZ instead lol. that's actually a really awesome trio if you like dungeon crawling with a Paladin (which is really fun to do, one of the best classes to lead a dungeon crawl!)

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i love PAL / SHM / NEC, and yeah i bet having WIZ instead works pretty well. NEC in there can be a lot of extra actions per minute, WIZ would be cool to just be able to nuke 'em down once PAL and SHM get things settled.... before i went PAL / SHM / NEC i was PAL / NEC / DRU.... switched DRU out for SHM for slows, but really miss the ports. now i'm almost wishing i had just dropped Pharmakos (my NEC name always) and made a WIZ instead lol. that's actually a really awesome trio if you like dungeon crawling with a Paladin (which is really fun to do, one of the best classes to lead a dungeon crawl!)

Contemplating my trio now myself. Pally for dungeon crawls seems a must (tank/puller with lull, side heals, and hp buffs is hard to beat). Was going to go Pally, Sham, Rogue. Seems like the pally/sham are the constant with rogue, wiz, nec or whatever for dps. Not sure if there is an advantage of rogue over wiz or nec tho

Feel like you could also toss a mage in with the pally/sham and it would work well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user