The Bernicia Chronicles

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I rarely start threads on this forum, but these books blew me away and I wish someone had given me a heads up about them earlier, so passing this along. They are totally underrated at the moment but that's going to change I'm sure.

Not going to get into a deep review since good reads has some pretty spot on reviews already.

In short, if you liked The Last Kingdom you'll love these. Same era (a couple hundred years earlier actually) but significantly different protagonist. TBH, I like this series more than Cornwell's. I think Harrfy is a better writer- significantly better imo (and I like Cornwell a lot). Haven't been able to put this series down.

First book: The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)

I was skeptical about the series because I think the book titles and the cover art are almost a little campy, but the writing (the only thing that matters) is fantastic.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Added it to my Goodreads. I love Bernard Cornwell, but his books are quite formulaic.

But I'm a sucker for anything with vikings and saxons duking it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree. One of the reasons I like Harrfy better than Cornwell is that his books aren't formulaic at all (I'm on number 4). The plot takes a lot of twists and turns that you don't expect, and you never feel like you are sure what's coming next. Importantly though, the plot twists have a very realistic feeling to them. It feels like they are happening just because sometimes life throws a curve ball at you, rather than the author inserting them just to surprise his audience.