The Beyond (2017)

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Beyond (2017)

Tagline: To find out place in the universe, we must venture beyond our boundaries.

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Hasraf Dulull

Cast: David Bailie, Jane Perry, Kosha Engler, Brian Deacon, Noeleen Comiskey, Amy Argyle, Melissa Graham, Bruce Chong, Nigel Barber, Tom Christian, Julian Graham, Georgina Blackledge, Nick Kokotakis, Alissa Juvan, Jessica Blake, Zack Schor, Louisa Hollway, Ezra Khan, Neil Percival, Wes Nike, Stuart Ashton, Karen Brace, Fiona McGee, Harriet Leah Preston, Alexander Clay, Alex Duong, Adam Batchelor, Aleksandr Uusmees, Zoe Cookie Levere, Peter McAllister, Jaedon Tan Yung-Ming, Alek Usemee, Roger Harding, Imran Yusuf, Cheah Wen Jin, Dare Emmanuel, Fahimah Hedar, Anderson Augustine, Jessica Riley

Release: 2017-11-17

Runtime: 92

Plot: Set in 2019, The Beyond chronicles the groundbreaking mission which sent astronauts - modified with advanced robotics, through a newly discovered wormhole known as the Void. When the mission returns unexpectedly, the space agency races to discover what the astronauts encountered on their first of its kind interstellar space journey.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I saw this a few days ago. It actually wasn't bad to be honest. It definitely dragged at points, but overall, it was an ok "There is nothing to watch so I'll check this out on Netflix" film.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I saw this a few days ago. It actually wasn't bad to be honest. It definitely dragged at points, but overall, it was an ok "There is nothing to watch so I'll check this out on Netflix" film.

Identical reason for watching this. It ended up being a pseudo-Day the Earth Stood Still kind of movie (The Void is basically "Klaatu"), that while it played as home film-documentary as an attempt to "ground it in reality", went way into left field on a couple things which would break the suspension of disbelief pretty heavily.

But yeah, it was "ok".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

watched this today.
yeah, kindof interesting. More of a thought experiment/what if, then a traditional movie. A number of 70's movies did this with disasters, and the like. It trys to take a very grounded "realistic" take on a first contact scenario, and transhumanism.

Main issues:
It takes a fairly MASSIVE Leap with cybernetics. 2019? yeah no... A big problem as its a what if we had firstcontact wormhole tomorrow with current tech...then pulls out cybernetic tech 50-100 years away from being realized as a solution..

hurr durr, military is bad. Very frustrating, the military astronaut isn't even given a fucking name. lol. I'll never understand this idea from sci fi writers. The universe is a cold uncaring place. no species can evolve or expand without a fierce sense of self preservation, as well as a drive to fight against the a universe trying to kill them constantly. any super advanced peaceful civilization would 100% understand a species need to show their willingness to defend themselves from any external threat.
The idea that an advanced species lending aide via planetary defense shield, or the like, would be 100% misunderstood by the local primitive populace is very sound. theres even a solid outerlimits about it. (sun shifting radiation, aliens send a musical signal to the Earth, which children can hear, and causes a DNA shift, mutating skin and eyes to be able to survive the sun's change.)

its very dry. Like The martian is a similar idea, but written to be dramatic and fun. This is written as a bunch of interviews with scientists. this is REALLY not for everyone.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't like it. I can't stand a Friday Night Lights camera style (camera's always moving around slightly) and it was really boring.

I do appreciate the story they told and I liked the ending.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It works well as something to have playing in the background while doing other things, but I don't think I could have actually sat down and focused on it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database