The Dead Linger

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
They just released it on Steam and it's still in Alpha development...
The commentary is pure shit, but good info on it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's a market for it or they wouldn't keep doing it. I mean it's published on Steam ffs.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
There is a huge market for it, yeah. There isn't anyone holding a gun to your head on buying it. And if you want to check it out later? Hit the favorite button/wishlist and steam will email you when its actually released. Its almost has if you have a choice on the matter or something. Crazy I know.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
I don't mind if they release shit in alpha testing, like you said it's a choice to buy or not.

However, I won't play a game that has alpha graphics and alpha game play. It's like paying for a demo in my book.
I can see what huge benefits releasing games in alpha/beta can have though.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I understand that everyone isn't going to like everything, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the appeal to zombies as a theme in general. I couldn't care less if the fad dies out or not, there's obviously a market for those games, but I haven't spent a cent on a zombie game (outside of LFD2, I guess) and [probably] never will.

Any big fans want to help me understand the draw?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Eh, my love of zombies has nothing to do with gaming, and everything to do with watching the 1980 something version of Night of the Living Dead while really high one night.

That's one of the best movies ever made by the way.

For real, though, the reason I love the zombie genre is encapsulated fairly well in games like The Last of Us and the Walking Dead game by Telltale. Zombies are like a stage upon which human dramas play out in the context of the narrative. You could find similar drama in any sort of setting where people must band together to survive or die, basically. The zombies are the kinda kitchy kinda cool narrative device used to set up situations within which you can explore the limits of human actions in an artistic narrative. Zombie apocalypse narratives give you justification for introducing characters who've been pushed to their absolute brink and have broken or risen above their circumstances.

Shit is way overdone right now though. I'm a zombie hipster, though, I liked them before they were cool.

But yeah way way way overdone in video games right now. And movies too. But especially video games.

Of course they're popular to video game developers because you can use very similar models over and over and no one will complain because they're zombies.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Zombies aren't new and have been in games just as long as movies (since they became popular, anyway).

Hell, Wolfenstein had zombies... Zombie Zombie, DOOM, CarnEvil, Resident Evil... the list is massive. From the early-mid 80's to the present.
It's not a new thing. The craze started in the 80's and hasn't stopped since. It just seems like zombie games/movies are out of control because they're so easily available now.
Zombie movies have been around since the early 30's. They weren't made popular till George did his take on zombies and they pretty much became "mainstream" at that point.

I don't think the zombie craze is going to die off any time soon.

This game though, atleast for the time being... looks like shit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Zombies give you the ability to be able to do things like blow their heads off and other extremely violent things to what are more or less people, but without any moral conflict.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I understand that everyone isn't going to like everything, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the appeal to zombies as a theme in general. I couldn't care less if the fad dies out or not, there's obviously a market for those games, but I haven't spent a cent on a zombie game (outside of LFD2, I guess) and [probably] never will.

Any big fans want to help me understand the draw?
I think it's the survival aspect of games that makes these popular - and it gives players a strong way to relate to the theme since survival/Z movies have been popular forever. I also personally enjoy an FPS/survival game more if I have a gun and my targets don't. They could use bears or wolves or aliens. But Zombies just fit better.