The Death of Stalin (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Death of Stalin

Genre: Comedy

Director: Armando Iannucci

Cast: Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Jeffrey Tambor, Jason Isaacs, Rupert Friend, Michael Palin, Paddy Considine, Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Paul Whitehouse, Adrian McLoughlin, Cara Horgan, Jonathan Aris, Gerald Lepkowski, Justin Edwards, Paul Chahidi, June Watson, Daniel Tuite, Adam Shaw, Dermot Crowley, Richard Brake, Roger Ashton-Griffiths

Release: 2017-10-20

Plot: Based on the graphic novel by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin, the drama is set in the days following the Russian leader's stroke in 1953 as his core team of ministers tussles for control.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

Releasing Oct 20th in UK, not sure if a US theatrical date is set yet. Pretty crazy cast

Steve Buscemi with some crazy baldness
Jason Isaacs
Jeffrey Tambor
Rupert Friend (Homeland)
Palin (Monty Python)

Written/directed by the guy who created In the Thick of It and Veep.

The accent thing is weird at first but then just makes the whole thing funnier when they don't even try to pretend

It is offensive though that everyone is white in 1950s USSR

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is a weird movie. Like, it's a comedy, and it's legit funny. But moments of comedy are interspersed with moments of absolute horror. Which, yeah, it's a pretty serious subject matter so that's to be expected.

My favorite part of the movie is the radio director in the beginning making everyone sit back down, that shit was hysterical.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This is a weird movie. Like, it's a comedy, and it's legit funny. But moments of comedy are interspersed with moments of absolute horror. Which, yeah, it's a pretty serious subject matter so that's to be expected.

My favorite part of the movie is the radio director in the beginning making everyone sit back down, that shit was hysterical.
Please forgive this very Lumi-esque observation, but after watching the trailer my first thought was "someone is trying to teach modern self-identified hammer-and-sickle communists just exactly who and what they're identifying with." Veiling a preachy history lesson by wrapping a comedy around it seems pretty clever to me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That was your first thought after watching the trailer?

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I love "In the loop" and "The thick of it" (As well as Veep)

I'll check this out, thanks.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
Damn, not playing anywhere near me, not even the local art house cinema. Cast looks awesome, but guess I'll be waiting for small screen release.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I saw it a little while ago. It was ok i guess. funny and compelling enough to be worth the watch but fairly forgettable.

Don't try to read too much into it, it's not a manifesto for the evils or greatness of communism either way.

Szlia

This film is basically horror-comedy with a political/historical twist. There is a good dose of poetic licence (compression of the timeline, alteration of some events) but that's to be expected. Oddly, the main flaw of this movie is an abundance of riches. It's so packed full of themes, great performances and different types of comedy, that at times it becomes hard to process it all. I mean, when you have 10 poison laced lines in a row, mixed with a visual gag, while political plotting is going on, your brain asks for some respite and so does your rib cage!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database