The Disaster Artist (2017)

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Disaster Artist

Tagline: I did naaaht! Oh, hi Mark

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: James Franco

Cast: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Ari Graynor, Alison Brie, Josh Hutcherson, Zac Efron, Jacki Weaver, June Diane Raphael, Andrew Santino, Nathan Fielder, Hannibal Buress, Sharon Stone, Melanie Griffith, Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, Sugar Lyn Beard, Eliza Coupe, Zoey Deutch, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jason Mitchell, John Early, Peter Gilroy, Kelly Oxford, Tommy Wiseau, Greg Sestero, Casey Wilson, Randall Park, Jerrod Carmichael, Brett Gelman, Dylan Minnette, Judd Apatow, Megan Mullally, Kate Upton, Kristen Bell, Bryan Cranston, Zach Braff, Adam Scott, J.J. Abrams, Erin Cummings, Tom Franco, Michelle Arthur, David DeCoteau, Ricky Mabe, Shane Ryan, Tamzin Brown, Cate Freedman, Amechi Okocha, Cameron Brinkman, Nicole Gordon-Levitt, Elizabeth Hirsch-Tauber, Jenna Curtis, Frederick Keeve, Angelyne, Adwin Brown, Slim Khezri, Corey Weber, Phillip E. Walker, Katherine Neff, Taylor Laughlin, Johnny Meyer, Xhuliano Ujka, Tearra Oso, Vince Chavez, Isaac Phillips, Krista West, Aidiye Aidarbekov, Kara Gibson, Resit Berker Enhos, Steven Liu, Tudor Munteanu, Frank Lui Geo, Bill Rojas, Mark Anthony Petrucelli, Zhubin Rahbar, Javi Sánchez-Blanco Boyer, Jolie Mitnick Salter, Ramona Tibrin, Frankie Ponce, Vincent Marinelli, Adonis Simmons, Elena Cristiean, Cerra Angela Vallentine, Ron Saylor, Danny Finneran, Eloho Josephine Okujeni, Dan Byelich, Cynthia Natera, Jordan Daem, Max Valentine

Release: 2017-12-01

Runtime: 105

Plot: An aspiring actor in Hollywood meets an enigmatic stranger by the name of Tommy Wiseau, the meeting leads the actor down a path nobody could have predicted; creating the worst movie ever made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

Saw the trailer during It, looks hilarious. If you haven't watched The Room, you should definitely get on it. Or the Rifftrax version.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I just started the room. made it to like a few minutes after the sex scene. boy is this bad... will finish for sure! I cringed so bad when the young boy jumps in bed with them to pillow fight. Wow.

Szlia

James Franco's impersonation of Wiseau sounds pretty on point. Nice to see the man himself in the credits. Hopefully playing the part of a crazy James Franco!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just thought I'd mention, if you can find a showing, try to see The Room live in a cinema. I went to one in Edinburgh at the comedy festival a few years ago, I'd seen the best of clips of The Room online and thought I'd show my friends. IT WAS AMAZING.

Basically there's a list of memes people yell at the screen at for like booing Lisa whenever she appears or shouting "Meanwhile in San Fransicso" during establishing shots. People hand out plastic spoons at the door so when you see the spoon in a frame stock photos, you throw your spoons at the screen and you get to reload every tie since the spoons from behind will hit you and you pick those up. This just proves that Tommy Wiseau is a modern day Shakspearce since that's apparently what happened during his plays too.

Didn't realise that all the awkward sex scenes were right at the start to two friends walked out, but my girlfriend got the joke so it was fine xD

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Saw this Saturday Night. Hilarious and amazing film. My wife hasnt seen the room and still enjoyed it just knowing a bit about the story and knowing its a "true" story.

Franco killed it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, Franco was great as everyone has said but nothing really stood out for me and it just sorta felt safe and shallow. Worth a watch at home for sure, especially at some sort of Room party where you watch that FIRST with a group of friends and then this.

also Tommy W is now streaming apparently on twitch

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I so wish this was playing closer - I think I'll be able to catch it after my woman's distant doc appointment on Thursday - but I so hate the idea of having to drive an hour to and from with a movie.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Saw it, had a general wafting feel of 'something isn't right' the entire movie. Thought it was because it was a pretty shallow puddle in terms of the story it was trying to tell, or maybe because the stand-alone parts (Ie., the stuff that wasn't directly from The Room) didn't seem all that funny. Half in the Bag review was the nail in the coffin, in that I didn't realize the movie is a completely castrated version of the book. James Franco wanted to play Wiseau so badly that he tried to remove just about every part suggesting he was a bad guy, then dolled up the freak-outs and fucked-up behavior in cheap chuckles over his bare ass and cock sock. Would've preferred to see the actual story instead of some dumbed-down buddy movie. As an exercise building off the lulz of the Room, it brings nothing.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Saw it, had a general wafting feel of 'something isn't right' the entire movie. Thought it was because it was a pretty shallow puddle in terms of the story it was trying to tell, or maybe because the stand-alone parts (Ie., the stuff that wasn't directly from The Room) didn't seem all that funny. Half in the Bag review was the nail in the coffin, in that I didn't realize the movie is a completely castrated version of the book. James Franco wanted to play Wiseau so badly that he tried to remove just about every part suggesting he was a bad guy, then dolled up the freak-outs and fucked-up behavior in cheap chuckles over his bare ass and cock sock. Would've preferred to see the actual story instead of some dumbed-down buddy movie. As an exercise building off the lulz of the Room, it brings nothing.
I've never seen The Room but have heard of it, same as the other infamous 'worst movies of all time'. Didn't know this was based on a book either. If the book is meatier & full of more fucked up ridiculous shit, I'd have preferred that to a fluffier, lighthearted flick. Otherwise this looks funny enough.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just a related story some fans of The Room may like. My sister lived in NYC for a couple years for her Masters in college. Some theatre near her play The Room on a weekly or monthly basis, like Rocky Horror places, and people go yell their lines, throw plastic spoons n shit. Her and room mates always talked about going but never did. When they were all getting close to getting their degrees and moving to various parts of the country they started knocking out the things they wanted to do so they finally went to a showing.

It just so happened the week they picked,Tommy Wiseau showed up and was greeting people as they came in. She said he was just as odd as you’d think, and was wearing like nine belts all overlapping each other.

Before the screening he stood in front of the screen and was answering questions from the crowd, giving blessings to weddings, etc. just doing whatever the crowd was yelling at him. One person said “please recite a sonnet” and he said ok,ok I’ll come back to that, and kind of blew it off. He then kept answering questions and doing whatever. At the very end he said ok, I gotta go, so everyone quieted down. He then recited a sonnet and left. She said everyone was impressed and shocked lol.

That’s the end of my Wiseau story~

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database