The Earthquake and Tsunami Thread. AKA Kiss Your Ass Goodbye

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh, nice. Didn't know we had an earthquake thread.

So yeah, 4.5? I think yesterday morning, followed by the 6.4 (knocked out power for about 5 hours, only a picture frame fell off wall). Had probably 100+ aftershocks we could feel yesterday. Today was pretty quiet, maybe one an hour. Then a 5.0 while I was playing Borderlands, and then a couple minutes later the gigantic fucker at 7.1.

Neighbors lost about a foot from their pool. Heard from coworkers their house is flooded from pool. Getting big aftershocks (4-5 range) every couple minutes now.

Worried that this is just a foreshock now to something even bigger.

Fucking thing sucks.

Edit: Oh yeah, we're within 15 miles of the epicenter for all of em. Had all kinds of shit all over the house fall for the 7.1. Mostly cleaned up already, but we're going to vacate the house for a while. Power came back on in like 5 minutes this time, and internet stayed on apparently.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

SeanDoe1z1

Limited #s of CA refugees are allowed in my OK McMansion at entry price of 2 temp bangmaids or 5 illegal coyote scalps.

OR p99 plvl

joking aside my sister is out there with 2 months to go, would like to see her nope out faster with my nieces.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
OAN is showing live broadcast of the LA usgs office, kindof a shitshow production-wise but cool otherwise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

So yeah, 4.5? I think yesterday morning, followed by the 6.4 (knocked out power for about 5 hours, only a picture frame fell off wall). Had probably 100+ aftershocks we could feel yesterday. Today was pretty quiet, maybe one an hour. Then a 5.0 while I was playing Borderlands, and then a couple minutes later the gigantic fucker at 7.1.

Neighbors lost about a foot from their pool. Heard from coworkers their house is flooded from pool. Getting big aftershocks (4-5 range) every couple minutes now.

Fucking thing sucks.

Edit: Oh yeah, we're within 15 miles of the epicenter for all of em. Had all kinds of shit all over the house fall for the 7.1. Mostly cleaned up already, but we're going to vacate the house for a while. Power came back on in like 5 minutes this time, and internet stayed on apparently.
Glad your okay dude.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Glad your okay dude.
Honestly the big quake itself isn't the worst. This one lasted maybe 15 seconds.

It's the anticipation of worse, and/or the fact that we keep getting smaller aftershocks that we never know if they're going to be big.

Because even the big ones feel like a small one at first until it really starts going.

But once it's over you kind of feel like it's okay...until the next one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've actually got family that lives out in Ridgecrest, where these last 2 were the epicenter. They are fine, just a little shocked by all of it. Of course it is also a tiny desert town so not sure really how much there is to destroy.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seismic waves disperse a lot moving through loose material, that's why the New Madrid is so much more dangerous than the San Andreas.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Seismic waves disperse a lot moving through loose material, that's why the New Madrid is so much more dangerous than the San Andreas.

depth of the plates shifting is also a major factor in how aggressive the surface action. IIRC the deep ones dont spread very far because the crust is more pliable because of temperature. Been a while since Geo 101.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Reading some, this is all the same fault line.

“The fault is growing,” Jones said. “We ruptured a piece in the first earthquake [the 6.4 on Thursday], we ruptured a piece in the 5.4 [the aftershock yesterday], and we’ve ruptured more now.”

“This is an earthquake sequence,” Jones said. “It will be ongoing. It is clearly a very energetic sequences, so there’s no reason to think we can’t have more large earthquakes.”

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Much bigger question is, what the hell is going on at China Lake!
That's a deep facility.

Screenshot_20190705-222836_Maps.jpg

• 2Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Fucking thing sucks.

I'm way down in OC and that 7.1 went on forever. Ton of activity up in your area the last few days, hopefully it just relieving build up vs precursor.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My wife was talking to her friend earlier in Illinois (today is her birthday) and I think at that point we had had 250ish 2.5+ quakes, and like 1200+ measured in the last 24 hours. We've probably doubled that by now.

So far anything above about 3.2 to 3.5 or so we can feel pretty well.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Checking in from La Jolla (San Diego), here for the 4th with family, banging out the drive home tomorrow morning.

We didn't feel anything at all down here, but I'm actually kind of glad we're leaving tomorrow, even though I'm sure that's just paranoia on my part.

EDIT: Stay safe California Bros.

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I am guessing her default mode is under someones desk....

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users