The FCC is expected to announce a vote to gut net neutrality rules the day before Thanksgiving.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
i thought net neutrality was bad, now its good? you guys need to make up your mind on the subject. nothing is gonna change because the market is still competitive.

It doesn't really matter. The concept of net neutrality as applied to modern "internet services" is no longer the bastion against corporate fuckery it was in the late 90s. They can do shit at the application layer to control everything anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Net Neutrality is good. It forces companies to treat all websites/applications as equals, without favorites. People saying that the government should 'step out' of the situation have to understand that these companies have been given BILLIONS of tax-payer dollars to improve the technological infrastructure of America and have barely done so, pocketing the profits and using them to secure strangleholds.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
i live about 30 minutes away from NYC. i guess rurally you have less options.

I live in LA and depending on where you live, you generally have 1 option of Comcast (mostly in the valley) and Spectrum (everywhere else) with the occasional bit of FIOS peppered around. It's the 2nd largest city in the country and the % of people here with "options" is not that high, I bet.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah when I was in Florida it was Comcast with ATT trying to work its way into some areas with UVerse or whatever their version was. Now that i'm near Cleveland it's Spectrum (was TWC) or I guess maybe WoW! although I haven't checked if we can even get that in my building, I think they're still working on expanding coverage areas.

Rime

<Donor>
And the reason behind the lack of options is that the companies that 'laid' the fiber 'own' it, despite having been paid by the government to put it down initially. So they charge outrageous fees to let other telecommunication companies use the lines (See?! It is not a monopoly in the area if we 'lease' the lines to other people! It is not our fault that they cannot afford the price we charge being so high that it erases any chance of a profit), if at all. Hell, if GOOGLE has trouble cutting through the miasma of laws and restrictions being enforced by Comcast/TW/etc, then you can see why this might need government oversight for any sort of competition.

Not to mention that the big companies have been caught colluding to keep smaller ISP services from moving into their areas and have even brought lawsuits against cities/towns that tried to pay for their own fiber/lines to be installed, so they could be free of the big-4. Sure, some areas are lucky and have multiple options, some even have smaller ISPs available (In my area, I am 'lucky' to have 2 connection options - Blue Ridge or Verizon).

At the end of the day, the government let these companies run wild and now that their profits from the television-cable are drying up, they want to swap to milking internet-cable so they can keep having record profits year after year, while being subsidized by our tax dollars.

It is not like 15 or even 10 years ago, when having the internet was a 'luxury'. Have you tried to apply for a job recently? Many places do not even have a physical method of doing that, you have to go on the internet. Combine that with banking, basic communication, and almost any form of higher education, the internet is more important than ever, even if you remove entertainment purposes from it.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ive been calling that battle for the net thing everyday since I saw it on reddit. I dont have any hope that it will actually accomplish anything, but they sound really annoyed everytime I call so seems pretty worth it for that reason alone. If you do call make sure you press * after you leave a message with someone and itll keep routing you to other offices

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dookiefart

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ive been calling that battle for the net thing everyday since I saw it on reddit. I dont have any hope that it will actually accomplish anything, but they sound really annoyed everytime I call so seems pretty worth it for that reason alone. If you do call make sure you press * after you leave a message with someone and itll keep routing you to other offices

Nice. I'll call again later. It's a shame that public interest is so far out of their sights that we have to literally spam them to get then to vote for the best interest. They need to put a 10 year bar in place for anyone in office who received money from Telecom companies and the like. Ugh. Were so fucked.

• 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

Funny this thread popped up.

Boss dropped some 400+ page FCC guideline/req(?) on my desk at like 4PM on a Friday asking me to review it because of technical jargon. I wonder if it is related to this. Usually do not need to review shit past lawyers unless they have questions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was the "sell browsing information to interested parties" thing over the summer tied into net neutrality or separate?

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Just nationalize ISPs already. The market already doesn't exist so there's no reason not to. Anyways what good is net neutrality when we now have domain name registrars refusing to do their jobs based on content?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just nationalize ISPs already. The market already doesn't exist so there's no reason not to. Anyways what good is net neutrality when we now have domain name registrars refusing to do their jobs based on content?

Just 'nationalize' the infrastructure (shit in the ground) by turning it into locally owned utilities. Give equal access to all companies that want to run cable or offer services, local utilities or otherwise.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Was the "sell browsing information to interested parties" thing over the summer tied into net neutrality or separate?
Nope, selling your shit isn’t something NN would change. Biggest culprits for that are google and Facebook anyways

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like net neutrality and I would like real competition even better but this title 2 unilateral FCC mandate was never going to last. If you want actual net neutrality then somebody has to get off their ass and get congress to pass some actual policy which I think is what Ajit Pai would say he wants as well. The whole regulatory agency doing shit on their own is cool when you agree with them, but it's always going to be undone at the whim of the next administration if you do it that way.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just nationalize ISPs already. The market already doesn't exist so there's no reason not to.

we have the exact same issues in Europe (Belgium)

in fact one of our supposedly independent members of parliament got busted for also being in the board of directors of our biggest (only serious) ISP earlier this year

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Totally stole, per word from reddit. Fuck Ajit Pai. You know Verizon has a fat ass bonus for him when he steps down from his position.

And I guess if you want to read the thread. /r/Music/comments/77fow0/the_fcc_is_expected_to_announce_a_vote_to_gut_net/

I like how phish.net is the #1 site on their "who's driving the most calls" list.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I live in LA and depending on where you live, you generally have 1 option of Comcast (mostly in the valley) and Spectrum (everywhere else) with the occasional bit of FIOS peppered around. It's the 2nd largest city in the country and the % of people here with "options" is not that high, I bet.

Same here, its just the BIG 2 with 1 option that is the same as the other 2 BIG options....just the way they want to play it. The smaller provider allowed in is a ballplayer they prop up to stifle monopoly.