OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 4 Votes
Title: The Fifth Element (1997)

Tagline: There is no future without it.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Action, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Luc Besson

Cast: Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, Chris Tucker, Charlie Creed-Miles, Brion James, Tom Lister Jr., Mathieu Kassovitz, Lee Evans, Tricky, John Neville, John Bluthal, Luke Perry, Christopher Fairbank, Kim Chan, Julie T. Wallace, Al Matthews, Maïwenn, Mac McDonald, Indra Ové, Genevieve Maylam, Jason Salkey, Michael Culkin, Hon Ping Tang, Vincenzo Pellegrino, Richard Leaf, Ivan Heng, Sonita Henry, Tim McMullan, George Khan, John Hughes, Roberto Bryce, Said Talidi, Clifton Lloyd Bryan, Justin Lee Burrows, Richard Ashton, Jerome St. John Blake, Kevin Molloy, Bill Reimbold, Colin Brooks, Anthony Chinn, Sam Douglas, Derek Ezenagu, David Kennedy, David Barrass, Roger Monk, Mark Seaton, Jean-Luc Caron, Riz Meedin, Jerry Ezekiel, Rachel Willis, Natasha Brice, Sophia Goth, Martin McDougall, Pete Dunwell, Paul Priestley, Stewart Harvey-Wilson, David Fishley, Carlton Chance, Gin Clarke, Vladimir McCrary, Aron Paramor, Alan Ruscoe, Christopher Adamson, Ève Salvail, Kaleem Janjua, Tyrone Tyrell, Kevin Brewerton, Ian Beckett, Sonny Caldinez, Zeta Graff, Eddie Ellwood, Yui, Laura De Palma, Lenny McLean, Robert Oates, John Sharian, Fred Williams, Sibyl Buck, Sarah Carrington, Ali Yassine, Sean Buckley, Dane Messam, Nathan Hamlett, Cecil Cheng, Scott Woods, Leon Dekker, David Garvey, Stanley Kowalski, Omar Williams, Robert Clapperton, Robert Alexander, Mia Frye, Leo Williams, C. Keith Martin, J.D. Dawodu, Patrick Nicholls, Shaun Davis, Roy Garcia, Alex Georgijev, Marie Guillard, Renee Montemayor, Stina Richardson, Kristen Fick, François Guillaume, Anita Koh, Kamay Lau, Tracy Redington, Gito Santana, Frank Senger, Joss Skottowe, Roger Wright, John Bennett, Nicole Merry, Stacey McKenzie, Josie Perez

Release: 1997-05-02

Runtime: 126

Plot: In 2257, a taxi driver is unintentionally given the task of saving a young girl who is part of the key that will ensure the survival of humanity.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
There have been a ton of old movies posted recently but this one may get mentioned more than all of the others combined. Now it has it's own thread.

My take: Classic. It has that weird quality where they could show it on cable every day and you could leave it on in the background and enjoy it no matter how many times you already watched it. However, if you have never seen it and watch it now it comes off way more silly (in a bad way) than it did if you saw it in the theater.

AZIZ, LIGHT!

Multipass.

Bzzzz. BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
There have been a ton of old movies posted recently but this one may get mentioned more than all of the others combined. Now it has it's own thread.

My take: Classic. It has that weird quality where they could show it on cable every day and you could leave it on in the background and enjoy it no matter how many times you already watched it. However, if you have never seen it and watch it now it comes off way more silly (in a bad way) than it did if you saw it in the theater.

AZIZ, LIGHT!

Multipass.

Bzzzz. BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
I loved this movie, until the Chris Tucker character was introduced then it became unwatchable

• 2Edgelord
  • 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
3D printed figure I bought for my wife. She found the Leeloo at a comic convention.

20201026_093008.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The Fifth Element is my #1 movie. Die Hard for my generation. Saw it in theaters on release night. The opera scene was the most surreal thing I've heard in a theater, still. Gary fucking Oldman is the perfect villain. Sir Ian Holm... I've owned every version of it on disc. When Leeloo punches through the glass, you can see the pre-cut piece in the blu ray copy. They fixed that on the 4K release. It looks amazing in 4K. Luc Besson's best, Leon aside. I had really high hopes for Valerian, but they picked the two worst actors possible during a time when "young actors" had been driven into the ground. I really think that movie would have been 100x better if they'd chosen differently. Could probably start a whole thread about Besson.

I disagree that it seems excessively silly if you watch it for the first time today. It holds up, honestly. This is the "right kind" of camp. But I need to introduce it to someone who hasn't seen it to get honest feedback on that. Everyone I know has seen it and at least "liked" it.

Take it, I don't need it.
That's a nice hat. You like it?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
Cheekan, good.
Anybody else want to negotiate?
I have no fire!

I'd forgotten about Besson's relationship with the Diva, and also marrying Jovovich.

I've got a huge print of this poster hanging in my living room.

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

• 6Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I loved this movie, until the Chris Tucker character was introduced then it became unwatchable
There is an odd thing about that, if you take the movie seriously Ruby Rod is going to shit that movie hard. If you realize its actually a comedy, Ruby Rod is fuckin hilarious. I did both and because it really is a comedy if you view it in any other way, youre going to be disappointed. This movie is pure comedy from start to finish, very funny. And mila is such a smokeshow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
There is an odd thing about that, if you take the movie seriously Ruby Rod is going to shit that movie hard. If you realize its actually a comedy, Ruby Rod is fuckin hilarious. I did both and because it really is a comedy if you view it in any other way, youre going to be disappointed. This movie is pure comedy from start to finish, very funny. And mila is such a smokeshow.
I see it as a comedy, but Ruby Rod is just not funny, he just screams and stammers. Just not funny. Like I said its a shame because everything else about this film is fucking awesome. I just love Leeloo, think she is just the most adorable thing ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I honestly find Leeloo/Mila the worst thing about the movie. Not saying I hate her, just that she's the part I like the least. Ruby Rod was fucking hilarious, and I frequently tell my friends to "Bzzzz bzzzz". I'm also not a big fan of the diva scene at all. It just seems weird and completely out of place to me.

Which just goes to show, to each their own.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I honestly find Leeloo/Mila the worst thing about the movie. Not saying I hate her, just that she's the part I like the least. Ruby Rod was fucking hilarious, and I frequently tell my friends to "Bzzzz bzzzz". I'm also not a big fan of the diva scene at all. It just seems weird and completely out of place to me.

Which just goes to show, to each their own.
You're that kid in school that even I made fun of.

• 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Leeloo really is pretty low on the list of characters that stand out, just above the Mangalores and the Priest's assistant. And Luke Perry. Which is fine. Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Ian Holm, Chris Tucker throw down perfect performances. Leeloo is less a character and more of a McGuffin. A sexy as fuck McGuffin.

It's also surprisingly woke, without being preachy. Masculinity, an effeminate male who still plows mad tail, disability (deaf dude), corporatism, "strong independent woman", religion, military, media, government, police, guns. If they were to make this today, Corben Dallas would be played by a woman, Leeloo by a trans MTF, and they'd be a trans-lesbian couple.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love this movie more each time I watch it but without a doubt Gary Oldman makes this movie.

jqv.gif

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Liked it in high school, rewatched it and it was kinda cringey.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Rustled

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I understand not everyone likes Leeloo and that's fine, if you don't like women you don't like them.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You're that kid in school that even I made fun of.
Yes, I can see you sitting at a table all by yourself drawing your furry versions of Leeloo while I laugh with my friends at lunch about how much more entertaining Ruby Rod was, and you chortling to yourself as you decide to add me into your artwork being violated by tiger-Leeloo because I dared to besmirch your beloved.

How will I ever recover from this belittling?

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Liked it in high school, rewatched it and it was kinda cringey.
Its definitely a flamboyant movie with its design, but its not cringe.

Leeloo is less a character and more of a McGuffin. A sexy as fuck McGuffin.
Her creation is is top notch. Scene would have been a perfect work of art imo if instead of the red dreads/braids she had more "normal" hair. But I get what they where going at with the hair she had.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I see it as a comedy, but Ruby Rod is just not funny, he just screams and stammers. Just not funny. Like I said its a shame because everything else about this film is fucking awesome. I just love Leeloo, think she is just the most adorable thing ever.
yes, thats why its funny. the complete insanity of his performance.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I always found one of the most interesting aspects of the movie that Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman never meet or ever really know what the other person is doing.

Also thought Gaultier did an awesome job with the costumes. There's a lot going on with the set pieces and what-not that hold up very well today and overall make the whole thing a very good movie.

One of my favorites.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database