The Fishing Thread

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Old Town seems to have surpassed Hobie these days when it comes to quality and features. My advice is find a kayak dealer in your area and look at them in person and go from there. You being in the NW I'm sure you can find a lot of options. If you want a fishing kayak with actual, sit on top, good seats your price point is going to be quite a bit higher than $900 unless you find something used. If you want to get serious with fishing from it, a pedal drive is must have. Can't do shit fumble fucking around with a paddle.

*Bass Pro/Cabela's might have some decent sit on top options that aren't obscenely expensive.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hey losers, can anyone recommend a kayak to me?

I want to be able to go out with my girlfriend or my daughter (5yo), and I want to be able to fish from it. Because of my daughter and her age, I figured a tandem kayak would be the way to go. At first I was thinking I'd just get a cheap walmart tandem kayak and upgrade next year if I felt like we were going to stick with it.....but I'm kinda feeling like I'd rather spend $900+ on a comfortable one with all the bells and whistles instead of $400 on an uncomfortable chunk of plastic. I'm trying to be preemptively considerate to my back & neck, so the fancier kayaks with better chairs/rests have been catching my eye.

Any recommendations?
You got a few options. I was going to suggest a Jackson Kilroy Tandem, but it looks like they don't make it any longer. It's a sit inside hybrid, but they're fast boats. I've got the singular one for the wife, but I fish out of it all the time.

The other option you could do is a NuCanoe Frontier 12. I have that boat as well, and I put it through its paces. A handful of Summers ago, my brother-in-law and I, who is 6'3, loaded up and paddled down the Frio River all the way from the damn at Garner State Park to Concan, maybe about 10 or 12 mile trip, was pretty treacherous water in spots. It was pretty retarded, but we had way more fishing gear than we needed, and between the two of us the boat was able to handle rapids extremely well. I was honestly shocked that we made it out alive. Never once said that I feel we were going to capsize.

It's an extremely wide but stable platform, and it's got enough rail space to install two seats no problem and both people being able to fish comfortably out of it. If you're going to take your daughter out I don't know how old she is, but you can definitely trust it from not tipping over. Other benefit is it's got a transom, and you can always plop a little motor of some sort on the back if you wanted. That company might have newer offerings, and I haven't looked at their lineup and a number of years, but I've been extremely happy with mine. It's kind of a hybrid between a sit on top kayak and a canoe.

Paddling wise it's pretty slow but if you had two people that shouldn't be an issue, especially if you're out on a relatively calm day.

I know a few of the other companies out there do make tandem kayaks, maybe Native Watercraft would also be worth checking out. Tandem is just not something I haven't really paid a lot of attention to other than knowing the Jackson had that tandem Kilroy. Honestly if you could find one of those used, that would be a nice boat.

Hobbies I also think has a tandem double pedal boat, but you're going to pay out the ass for it, and I don't know how fishing friendly it would be. The NuCanoe is a solid fishing platform, and even if you took it up by yourself it's easy to stand up in and you don't feel like you're going to tip over. I fly fish out of mine all the time, and it's got a nice open deck space to where my line doesn't get tangled on anything.

Anyways hope that helps some. If you got questions or take a look at a particular model from somebody, feel free to ask. Might not have an answer but happy to help if I can.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. I'm just gathering up opinions and recommendations right now. A few different forum searches seemed to aim me at Jackson, too.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Kayaks come up used on all the usual places and in garage sales. Check the recommendations above and see if they are coming up.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah Craigslist will typically net you some decent results depending upon your area, as long as you're not going to get robbed by some jogger. If you can find a used boat though I'd be all over that.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. I'm just gathering up opinions and recommendations right now. A few different forum searches seemed to aim me at Jackson, too.
You can't go wrong with Jackson. I think they also used to have a purely sit on top kayak that I believe is a tandem call The Big tuna. I might be mistaken on if it's tandem though but I thought it was. I haven't looked at their lineup in a long time, but that might also be an option if you don't want a hybrid sit inside.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Went out to fish a bit this afternoon because it's so nice out. Couldn't get a bass to bite despite pitching stuff in their path, tough pond.

Did manage to hook my fifth catfish on the fly, and on the two-hander, too. Had to play it on the reel, and as light as that rod really is, it was probably the best fight I've had in a long time. Made my afternoon.

IMG_20240412_152020416_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240412_152044035_HDR~2.jpg

Probably 4-5 lbs. Perfect eater, but it's catch and release there. Really need to order a digital scale off of Amazon.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Old Town seems to have surpassed Hobie these days when it comes to quality and features. My advice is find a kayak dealer in your area and look at them in person and go from there. You being in the NW I'm sure you can find a lot of options. If you want a fishing kayak with actual, sit on top, good seats your price point is going to be quite a bit higher than $900 unless you find something used. If you want to get serious with fishing from it, a pedal drive is must have. Can't do shit fumble fucking around with a paddle.

*Bass Pro/Cabela's might have some decent sit on top options that aren't obscenely expensive.
Out of the ones I've seen in person, this is my favorite so far.

PXL_20240413_170042030.jpg
PXL_20240413_170050162.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Out of the ones I've seen in person, this is my favorite so far.

View attachment 524581View attachment 524582
That looks more like a recreational paddling kayak versus anything you can really fish out of effectively. I mean I'm sure it would probably work, but I don't see where you're going to have a lot of storage for tackle and what have you.

I guess a good question would be what type of water are you planning to go out on?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
That's what I was trying to say it looks more like a paddling kayak and not a fishing kayak. I can't imagine sitting in that type of seat for extended hours.
Yep. Couple hrs in that with the kiddo and he's not gonna feel his feet anymore.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Here's my setup with an Outback. Very versatile, doesn't do anything the best but I can do just about anything in it. Pedal powered so I'm hands free for fishing.

Multi day river floats when I need to pack more gear.

Day out on the lake when I need to cover a few miles.

Offshore from the beach. The bow is nice and sharp and let's me cut through the surf without tipping but it has a nice fat ass on it so it's not tippy when you have a 2' wave hit you sideways.
IMG_20240414_080151373.jpg
IMG_20240414_081153428_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240414_072627846_HDR.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Here's my setup with an Outback. Very versatile, doesn't do anything the best but I can do just about anything in it. Pedal powered so I'm hands free for fishing.

Multi day river floats when I need to pack more gear.

Day out on the lake when I need to cover a few miles.

Offshore from the beach. The bow is nice and sharp and let's me cut through the surf without tipping but it has a nice fat ass on it so it's not tippy when you have a 2' wave hit you sideways.
View attachment 524702View attachment 524703View attachment 524704
I really like your setup. Any accessories you feel are must have and any that were a waste? I was planning to start with a keel guard on my pro angler since I will be launching from a sandy beach predominantly, but I noticed you aren't using one - has your keel had any wear?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I really like your setup. Any accessories you feel are must have and any that were a waste? I was planning to start with a keel guard on my pro angler since I will be launching from a sandy beach predominantly, but I noticed you aren't using one - has your keel had any wear?
I do keep Flex Tape on the underside where it rubs getting in and out of my truck. Noticed a little wear on my keel yesterday so might add a little strip there. It's really grabby so I can back in and pull out of steep boat ramps without worrying about it sliding off the back of my truck.

Really love my Garmin fish finder, plan to upgrade to a bigger screen with side scan sonar in the near future. End game would be adding Livescope eventually. I did buy the Hobie bimini for shade and it's pretty decent but does get in the way of fishing a little bit but would be great for long river trips.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I do keep Flex Tape on the underside where it rubs getting in and out of my truck. Noticed a little wear on my keel yesterday so might add a little strip there. It's really grabby so I can back in and pull out of steep boat ramps without worrying about it sliding off the back of my truck.

Really love my Garmin fish finder, plan to upgrade to a bigger screen with side scan sonar in the near future. End game would be adding Livescope eventually. I did buy the Hobie bimini for shade and it's pretty decent but does get in the way of fishing a little bit but would be great for long river trips.
I like the flex tape idea, might have to do that. Was looking at this thing, but it feels like massive overkill for a sacrificial part. How often do you have to re-apply?

Definitely going to do livescope or active target at some point. Still trying to research the best mounting solution. This thing looked impressive, but the price is assenine:

I might have to just build something myself.

• 1Worf

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I like the flex tape idea, might have to do that. Was looking at this thing, but it feels like massive overkill for a sacrificial part. How often do you have to re-apply?

Definitely going to do livescope or active target at some point. Still trying to research the best mounting solution. This thing looked impressive, but the price is assenine:

I might have to just build something myself.
I haven't reapplied the flex tape yet after about a dozen trips out. I was talking to my kayak dealer a few weeks ago asking about gouges in the hull and what to do if it happens and he said a lot of people just use a hair dryer and a plastic milk jug for patches. I'm pretty careful and haven't got to that point, but something to keep in mind.

By the time I'm ready to spend on a Livescope set up I'll probably just buy a real boat.

• 2Like