The Genographic Project

Torpid_sl

shitlord
Has anyone tried this? You buy the kit for $200 and they send you a mouth swab, you send it back and they can trace your dna to see where you come from, going back to the beginning. My dad was adopted and we have no idea about his side of the family, so I've always been interested in this. Does anyone have any experience with this and is it worth $200?

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Troll_sl

shitlord
My family did it for my grandpa a while back. Forget the results, though. Will have to see if I can't dig em up.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I did the 23andme thing. It's OK. It's not as great as I'd hoped because I still can't find any relatives on my father's side.

It does tell you what you're resistant to, what you're susceptible to, and sensitive. It's pretty nifty.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
My dad was adopted and we have no idea about his side of the family, so I've always been interested in this.
You'd have to make sure for your dad to do the mouth swab then. It follows your maternal lineage.

Moreover, it's not nearly as granular as you might think. We're talking about historic timescales here - thousands of years, not decades. I don't think it's going to tell you what you're looking for.

That said, it's a fun little project and I don't regret spending $200 on it. I didn't get anything useful out of it, but it was interesting nonetheless. They also did place me in the right part of Europe, which is kind of cool.

edit: heck, I can just attach the report I got. I didn't check for updates since 2008, so there may be more on the site. I should probably do that...

See here:https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1359916902338.pdf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I had a friend who did this and he thought it was great. The traditional understanding of where his ancestors were from (Iran/Persia) was turned on its head (turned out to be Spain and Northern Africa probably due to Moorish settlements around those parts at the turn of the Dark Ages).

This isn't going to tell you whether you have long lost uncles or cousins, these tests operate on historical time scales as someone mentioned earlier. They will tell you what tribe/people you originated from centuries ago and how your ancestors might have migrated around.

Flank_sl

shitlord
One of the things this should also tell you is how much non-homosapien dna you have. Most white people are not pure human
wink.png

Torpid_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't be trying to find uncles or cousins or anything like that. What I meant by not knowing his side of the family is that we really have no clue about where his side comes from geographically. We think his father was Italian but even that we don't know for sure, but based on these replies it sounds like what I would be looking for.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is there any purpose for this besides geographics of your genes? As in, is it important for avoiding health issues?

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
The 23andme service does tell your risks in getting diseases along with your family tree stuff.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't be trying to find uncles or cousins or anything like that. What I meant by not knowing his side of the family is that we really have no clue about where his side comes from geographically. We think his father was Italian but even that we don't know for sure, but based on these replies it sounds like what I would be looking for.
No, it is not. It will not tell you if his family came from Italy 100 years ago. It will tell you which region his ancestors were in 5000 years ago. People have moved around a lot in recent centuries.