The Happytime Murders (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Happytime Murders (2018)

Director: Brian Henson

Cast: Elizabeth Banks, Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Joel McHale, Leslie David Baker, Jimmy O. Yang, Cynthy Wu, Pamela Mitchell, Colleen Smith, Dorien Davies, Mitch Silpa, Bill Barretta, Allison Bills, Brekkan Spens, Drew Massey

Release: 2018-08-17

Plot: In a world where puppets co-exist with humans as second class citizens, puppet private eye and disgraced ex-cop, Phil Phillips, is hot on the trail of the serial killer who murdered his brother and is now targeting the cast members of the famous 80s television show, “The Happytime Gang.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
its a bummer it has McCarthy and Maya Rudolph but maybe thats like sword fighting with your other arm, it raises the difficulty so much higher that if you can make it work you will be the funniest movie in history

• 1Solidarity

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The trailer is pretty lol worthy but at least it has a happy ending.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
"Sorry 'bout your dead human friend" made me laugh out loud.

I can't see actually going to the theater to see this however.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Avenue Q meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Melissa McCarthy actually looks funny in this movie and all it took was surrounding her with muppets. >_>

I'd see it.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
McCarthy seems like a real mistake here. Bob hoskins played a solid straight man. This just looks like a dumb stoner comedy. If its ALL dumb shit, and the human is more absurd then the puppets, this shit will suck.

Muppet movies, all have again, the human characters as totally sincere, even when not outright straight men.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Her "brand" of comedy has pretty much made her a cartoon character already so she fits right in.

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, 5/10. I usually dislike Melissa McCarthy (I liked Spy and Heat but nothing else she has done) but she was fine in this. Her character must have been rewritten or something because it was almost a flat, no-background character that must have been changed so many times they must have cut out or never filmed much of her background scenes. The first half of the movie is pretty great with some great world building, detective noir setups, and LA-centrism but the second half just wasn't good, and of course the story just completely falls apart not that it was a good story in the first.

If you thought Sausage Fest was funny and dumb you probably will enjoy this, if you thought Sausage was a giant turd then you'll hate this. I don't really get why this is rated R, there is only two puppet-only weird sex scenes, not much violence, no human nudity or violence at all really, and even the language is mostly fairly tame. I guess the puppet sex stuff. Sausage Fest was WAY more gross-out/pervy.

Its a bummer because I like this idea of puppets mixing with the real world ala Roger Rabbit and i think a Netflix/HBO TV show could be amazing but the group behind this just lacked the talent to take it from average to great, and this failure will probably sink any attempts by smarter people to do it on TV.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Its a bummer because I like this idea of puppets mixing with the real world ala Roger Rabbit and i think a Netflix/HBO TV show could be amazing but the group behind this just lacked the talent to take it from average to great, and this failure will probably sink any attempts by smarter people to do it on TV.

Did you watch Happy! ?
You'd probably like Happy!.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I really wanted to like this... and I did not. Another case of a movie which works as a trailer and fails completely as an actual film.

Cybsled

Darn, that is too bad. I was hoping this would do good so they could secure more funding for a Farscape continuation lol

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database