The Holdovers (2023)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Holdovers (2023)

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Alexander Payne

Cast: Paul Giamatti, Dominic Sessa, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Carrie Preston, Gillian Vigman, Dan Aid, Colleen Clinton, Dustin Tucker, Bill Mootos, Michael Malvesti, Ian Lyons, Pamela Jayne Morgan, Martin Lee

Release: 2023-11-10

Plot: The disliked Deerfield Academy teacher Paul Hunham is put in charge of supervising Angus, a smart and rebellious student unable to journey home for Christmas. Joining them is Mary, the school's head cook.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty decent Christmas movie. They really nailed the early 70's vibe (down to the opening credits and everything). Paul Giamatti crushed it.

I think my only complaints are the main kid is kind of meh, and it seemed way too long. Had this been a 90-100 minute movie it'd have been perfect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Pretty decent Christmas movie. They really nailed the early 70's vibe (down to the opening credits and everything). Paul Giamatti crushed it.

I think my only complaints are the main kid is kind of meh, and it seemed way too long. Had this been a 90-100 minute movie it'd have been perfect.

Watching this now, it's a cross between Breakfast Club, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, Officer and a Gentleman and The Ice Storm

Edit: it got boring when they left the school

Last edited:

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Pretty darned good film. I was amazed how they transformed (without CGI) a block or two of New England (one town at a time) into the 1970's. They must spend a day clearing out all the cars and bringing in vintage cars to get a few 6-second shot of Gill, Massachusetts (or was that Gardner or South Deerfield?)

A little too syrupy sweet at times. And, of course, the most studious and book-smart ex-Harvard student is far less sagacious than the black cook (who isn't smart even to know NOT to eat 15,000 calories a day).

Aside from that it was a sweet male-bonding fantasy.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database