The Joe Abercrombie Thread

9veh

Trakanon Raider
Have yet to read Sharp Ends, but I have not really enjoyed the last 2-3 books from Joe Abercrombie. They feel too.. cookie cutter template based? Maybe it is just me :)

khorum

Murder Apologist
The half-a-king series was written as YA and meant for the YA shelves. I loved them but I definitely read Abercrombie for his grittiness.

That said, they were great YA books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So he has a new working title for the first book in his new Trilogy: "A little Hatred"

Progress Report November ’17 | Joe Abercrombie

Looks like 2019 is the current speculative release.

I really hope we get some chapters from the perspective of Bayaz this time, I feel like he's such a fucked up character and I want to know if everything is a power play to him, or if there is a part of him that thinks he's doing what he's doing for the greater good.

I'd also really like to follow more of what Shivers did later in his life, I really feel like he's a character who went through the biggest change over the series.

What the fuck happened happened to Ferro too, I really want to see where she went and what she got up to.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Excluding Half A King, his books are great. I even liked The Red Country and I hate westerns.
The end of the first trilogy is the greatest.

• 1Salty

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really like his stuff. Didn't have any interest in the young adult stuff so I'm looking forward to getting back to his world and characters.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Excluding Half A King, his books are great. I even liked The Red Country and I hate westerns.
The end of the first trilogy is the greatest.

Red Country was such a good ride. I really liked how they characterized Lamb throughout, and the way you could understand why he had to run away from his old life. He is not a good person.

Cosca had a similar arc too, after he was somewhat heroic in Best Served Cold and then showed how deplorable he became with alcohol. He was the character I truly had the most empathy for in Red Country

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Red Country was such a good ride. I really liked how they characterized Lamb throughout, and the way you could understand why he had to run away from his old life. He is not a good person.

Cosca had a similar arc too, after he was somewhat heroic in Best Served Cold and then showed how deplorable he became with alcohol. He was the character I truly had the most empathy for in Red Country

I felt sorry for Cosca but it was more pity than empathy.

Lamb, however, was my favorite part of the book. The knowledge that he cannot just fight because if he does then no one is safe.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I felt sorry for Cosca but it was more pity than empathy.

Lamb, however, was my favorite part of the book. The knowledge that he cannot just fight because if he does then no one is safe.

I feel like Lamb sunk more and more into realising that he's more akin to a demon than a man when he fights. It was kinda sad that this man who has one talent can't fight because he will kill everyone he cares about. Not having any perspective chapters from Lamb was weird too, I was wondering if he was still chanting "still alive" over and over again, or if he was just completely succumbing to rage at that point.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I feel like Lamb sunk more and more into realising that he's more akin to a demon than a man when he fights. It was kinda sad that this man who has one talent can't fight because he will kill everyone he cares about. Not having any perspective chapters from Lamb was weird too, I was wondering if he was still chanting "still alive" over and over again, or if he was just completely succumbing to rage at that point.

I don't think he went scumbag because he still felt terrible when he almost killed Shy.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just got done listening to the main trilogy via audiobook, and thought they were okay.

But then I went and read The Heroes and Red Country and thought they were amazing. Abercrombie definitely needs to be read, not listened to, and I think he is at his strongest when he is writing a self contained story.

I just started Sharp Ends and since I love short stories, I am stoked to blaze through it in my free time.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a little hatred.jpg

So, the newest addition to the First Law universe has been published. It is, as you can see above, titled A Little Hatred. According to publisher details, this is the first of a new trilogy that will focus on the territories that we all know and love - Midderland, Angland, and the North.

The cast of characters that inhabit this novel are extensive, and bear some resemblance to those we met in the first trilogy. Namely, we have; a barbarian warrior, a violent man trying to reform himself, and a rich fop who only thinks of himself. But then we have some interesting additions; an extremely ambitious business woman, an older warrior who'll do anything to survive, a woman who can see the future but cannot control it, and a heroic soldier.

If you have read anything by Joe Abercrombie before, you know what to expect - anyone with a shred of good intention in their heart will be beaten like a rented mule. But the heart of the plot captures an interesting angle that we hardly see in fantasy books; the modernization of the world. Factories are opening up, machines are being invented, and people are moving out of the country and into the cities. Change is at the heart of this novel. I, for one, am excited to see where it goes. The mix of technology, social progress, and limited magic is something we hardly see in fantasy - a genre bloated with exploring different magic systems, lithe elves, and bearded dwarves who live under mountains.

Speaking of fantasy, I think that Joe Abercrombie really wants to write historical fiction - not fantasy. He seems to take history, and shave off the serial numbers. Maybe he is straddling an interesting middle ground, where he is not forced into a story by the conventions of history, but can do whatever he wants by making it a faraway land that has never existed. I believe it works. Works so well you wish there was more of it. I guess they call that good writing.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Joe Abercrombie. He has only developed as writer, and this may be his most well-crafted book to date.

• 1Dislike

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 225867

So, the newest addition to the First Law universe has been published. It is, as you can see above, titled A Little Hatred. According to publisher details, this is the first of a new trilogy that will focus on the territories that we all know and love - Midderland, Angland, and the North.

The cast of characters that inhabit this novel are extensive, and bear some resemblance to those we met in the first trilogy. Namely, we have; a barbarian warrior, a violent man trying to reform himself, and a rich fop who only thinks of himself. But then we have some interesting additions; an extremely ambitious business woman, an older warrior who'll do anything to survive, a woman who can see the future but cannot control it, and a heroic soldier.

If you have read anything by Joe Abercrombie before, you know what to expect - anyone with a shred of good intention in their heart will be beaten like a rented mule. But the heart of the plot captures an interesting angle that we hardly see in fantasy books; the modernization of the world. Factories are opening up, machines are being invented, and people are moving out of the country and into the cities. Change is at the heart of this novel. I, for one, am excited to see where it goes. The mix of technology, social progress, and limited magic is something we hardly see in fantasy - a genre bloated with exploring different magic systems, lithe elves, and bearded dwarves who live under mountains.

Speaking of fantasy, I think that Joe Abercrombie really wants to write historical fiction - not fantasy. He seems to take history, and shave off the serial numbers. Maybe he is straddling an interesting middle ground, where he is not forced into a story by the conventions of history, but can do whatever he wants by making it a faraway land that has never existed. I believe it works. Works so well you wish there was more of it. I guess they call that good writing.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Joe Abercrombie. He has only developed as writer, and this may be his most well-crafted book to date.

Holy shit. Did you just crawl out of a hole Rip Van Winkle? While I agree with Abercrombie being a gifted writer, the push into Victorian type settings has been around for quite a while. I'm sure this helps keep him interested in writing and I can't wait to read it but the bolded statement from you above is hilariously out of date. You might want to expand your reading.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit. Did you just crawl out of a hole Rip Van Winkle? While I agree with Abercrombie being a gifted writer, the push into Victorian type settings has been around for quite a while. I'm sure this helps keep him interested in writing and I can't wait to read it but the bolded statement from you above is hilariously out of date. You might want to expand your reading.

I lived in an eastern european country for the last two years and had limited access to English books. Does that count?

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think I have maybe a few hours left on the audio version, and so far, it’s his weakest book in the series for me. The only characters I give a shit about are when the one’s from the first books pop up.

I guess something big is going to maybe happen in the final chapters, but fuck if I know what it’ll be, and I’m not sure I really care. It’s unfortunate because his other books are some of my favorite fantasy I’ve read. There’s also a subtle odor of some SJW bullshit. Don’t know if it’s just the rest of modern media putting me on guard, but it definitely has a few on the nose moments with some of the dialogue and plot points.

Maybe the book will finish strong, and it’s just a long setup for the following two. Can’t say I’m that excited to see how it ends, and that’s unfortunate considering his other works.