The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
A few of us on the forum who are from KC have been talking about getting together on a weekend this fall to descend upon at least one local BBQ establishment like a horde of locusts. I'm thinking of the 1st or 2nd weekend in November but that isn't set in stone.

I know that there's quite a few people from KC here on the forums - if you'd be interested post here and we can get a debate going on what BBQ joint to hit up.

Grabbing some beers afterwards would almost be mandatory.

892356_10152710743300220_788006109_o.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Sunday, November 10th is the Chiefs bye week. Only downside to that would be that some BBQ places are closed on Sundays. But that would be the ideal day that wouldn't drastically interfere with people that are into local sports teams (Chiefs/Mizzou/etc)

I'm trying to think of a good BBQ spot that is also really close to a good bar to hang out at afterwards. Preferably walking distance between the 2.

Hrmmm...

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone pay for my ticket? And can I bum it at someones house?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't you just eat BBQ and then catch football somewhere over beers?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Sunday, November 10th is the Chiefs bye week. Only downside to that would be that some BBQ places are closed on Sundays. But that would be the ideal day that wouldn't drastically interfere with people that are into local sports teams (Chiefs/Mizzou/etc)

I'm trying to think of a good BBQ spot that is also really close to a good bar to hang out at afterwards. Preferably walking distance between the 2.

Hrmmm...
Yeah, I think Oklahoma Joe's is closed on Sundays IIRC.

It's too bad that there isn't a BBQ down by Power & Light, as I've been wanting to try Flying Saucer on 13th. But there really isn't anywhere close to there for BBQ...Winslows in a bit north in River Market but I've only ever heard bad things, you could hit Gates or Arthur Bryant's east on Brooklyn, or maybe south for the Jack Stack in the Freight House district.

I'd be willing to try anywhere though. I haven't been to BB's yet and that's down by the Grandview triangle, and the Martin City Jack Stack is south of there. I'm in KCK but I'm not about to drag anyone over there, unless it's down by I-35 and 635 or so (Quick's, several places in Mission). I have no idea really if there is anything up in NKC worth bothering with.

Furiouss1_sl

shitlord
Jack Stack on 95th and Metcalf might be an option. Plenty of great bars in that area as well. Once we get a showing of hands, we can try to come up with a central location. I'm in downtown Overland Park.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm probably down for this, I'm out in Lees Summit so I'm used to a hellacious drive no matter where I go, so location doesn't matter a whole lot to me. Jackstack down in the freighthouse district isn't far at all from P&L(Flying Saucer), and it's also only a few blocks away from some decent bars like Grinders, The Cashew, The Brick, etc. Although, none of those are really sports bars that we could watch random football on a Sunday, they're more dive bar/music type bars.

Jackstack is also one of the pricier BBQ places(not that any BBQ is really that expensive), but I'd expect to probably not be able to get out of there for much less than $20 a person by the time tip is figured in, since it's actually a nice restaurant. It isn't like most BBQ places that are total dives and you can get a good sandwich for 7 bucks or something.(Just FYI for anyone unfamiliar with it). That being said, it is some of the better BBQ in the city, I love Jackstack.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I wish it wasn't a five hour drive for me to KC, so you guys could see how damn good looking I am. I'm jealous though, I hope you all can hook up and put on a feedbag.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Jackstack is also one of the pricier BBQ places(not that any BBQ is really that expensive), but I'd expect to probably not be able to get out of there for much less than $20 a person by the time tip is figured in, since it's actually a nice restaurant. It isn't like most BBQ places that are total dives and you can get a good sandwich for 7 bucks or something.(Just FYI for anyone unfamiliar with it). That being said, it is some of the better BBQ in the city, I love Jackstack.
I've always had good quality Q at all of the Jack Stack's I've ever been too. Only complaints I ever had were with the lunch specials at the Plaza location, the portions seemed a little on the light side to me. The Metcalf and Martin City locations always gave me a food coma; I think the Freight District one is the only one that I've never been to. That's one of the reasons I really like the original Arthur Bryant's...you always seem to get WAY larger portions there.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I've always had good quality Q at all of the Jack Stack's I've ever been too. Only complaints I ever had were with the lunch specials at the Plaza location, the portions seemed a little on the light side to me. The Metcalf and Martin City locations always gave me a food coma; I think the Freight District one is the only one that I've never been to. That's one of the reasons I really like the original Arthur Bryant's...you always seem to get WAY larger portions there.
Small world - my uncle is the head cook for all the Jack Stacks. A few years ago he competed with Bobby Flay at some competition, but I forget which, might've been a state fair. I think they called it a draw =p

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Are you a European or something? How did you not know Philly to KC would be a long ass drive? That's almost halfway across the country.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And that drive across MO, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio is one boring goddamn drive. About the only thing that could make it worse is if you were also driving across kansas.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since he fails at geography its quite sure to assume hes indeed US citizen (or at least enjoyed "premium" HS education).