The Last of Us

Cybsled

TLOU2 gameplay wise is fine

Storywise it’s mixed and some of the controversial storybeats involve gameplay that takes away player agency, so even though you REALLY don’t want to do that gameplay action, you have to in order to proceed. It’s like that Viva la Dirt League sketch where the guy has an unskippable quest where he is forced to kill a bunch of cute puppies. TLOU2 evokes a similar disgusted reaction at points along those lines.

There are some good story elements in the game, but most of the negativity is the result in my opinion: 1) it wasn’t the story people wanted. The flashbacks with Joel and Ellie I think were more in line with what people expected, although that unto itself would have lacked sufficient action to sustain a game 2) We are introduced to a new character that murders a character we love, then the game tries to retroactively explain why we should feel bad for this new character. As a result, while most players understand why they did what they did, the massive emotional barrier that the player has put up as a result of that initial action results in most players never actually sympathizing or empathizing with the new character like we did with Joel + Ellie in the first game 3) The underlying theme of the game, revenge, is handled poorly because other media has done it better. They try to cap it off with a “turn the other cheek” type of message, but it always felt like Ellie got the shittier end of the deal at the end for taking the high road decision

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TL;DR Bad plot decisions, bad writing for what they went with, and not what anyone wanted

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
So apparently the PC port for this is a steaming pile of shit. It's having serious performance issues even on high end rigs with 4070s etc.

Also here's a great SteamDeck screentshot:

454EscF.jpg

They're putting out a patch on Tuesday that will supposedly fix some stuff. I hope so, because I'd really like to replay this in all it's glory on PC.

Oldbased

> Than U
I am pretty sure you have it completely backward along with a copious amount of tin foil on top your head. What is most likely happening is that the bean counters ask for market data and see gigantic gaping holes in the demographics. This is without a doubt a correct assessment of the situation and while some people might go "oh well... at least we are doing well in the demos we target" the reaction of the typical bean counters is : "Expand the market please, we currently don't reach X, Y and Z with our products." Now, how do you go about doing that ? You do multiple products going after different specific targets or you try to have a big tent product. By economy of scale, you often see the latter and the low hanging fruit when you try to do that is to include themes, characters and actors that appeal to X, Y and Z. A slightly higher hanging fruit is to hire in your crew some X,Y and Z, because if you don't you increase the odds of missing the mark for the X,Y and Z targets you try to reach. The calculation is that, depending of the product you try to apply the formula to and depending of the skill of the people involved, you might alienate a part of your original audience, but, short term, as long as you gain more than you lose, it's ok. The long term math might even be that losing more than you gain is still ok, because you lose people who did not like that specific product but are still interested in that category of products and you gain people who were not interested in that category of products before.

It's probably a bit different with something like Last of Us 2, where you have an author who is also the vice-president of the studio and making hit after hit. He has almost total creative freedom and will do with it whatever he wants. It's very unlikely PlayStation Studios will ever get involved based on sales numbers, because with its ICE Team, Naughty Dog is basically a R&D center creating high end tools for other studios that also happens to make award winning blockbuster games.
nah

Oldbased

> Than U
It was(is?) like 9 bucks for PS+ members last week. At that price, the bargain was finally higher than my disinterest in it. Will give it a shot after Hogwarts. I feel that we've hated on TLoU2 so hard, that it can't possibly be as bad as we've memed it into being.
Send me $8 and I'll tell you to ram your dick into a door knob. You save a buck and get half the pain.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Whatever happened to all the people who got robbed? If you didn't know to refund, they never did a automatic refund? Seems strange given how terrible rendering was on PC. It was far below par for what they advertised graphic wise.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is part 2 worth getting?
If you want to play as a f2m trans who magically still has access to dick chopper treatment in a post-apocalypse and
savagely beats Joel to death, then switch to Ellie who incompetently bumbles her way through the most inept and unsatisfying quest for vengeance ever
then by all means.