The Last Spell

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone played this yet? It’s in Early Access on Steam but everything is in the game already, including the first boss/ending, eventually there will be two. It’s coming to Switch as well and the full release date is some time this year.

Its fucking awesome. I ended up playing it for four hours straight after picking it up on a whim. It has base building, turn based tactics combat, and rogue like (or lite?) elements.

The gameplay loop is position your people, survive a night of monsters attacking. The further in they get to the town, the less of a reward you get at the end of the night.

Once you survive you can upgrade buildings, destroy buildings for resources, build defenses, buy new equipment, level up/select passives. Equipment determines your characters attacks and abilities.

As you go along you gain a currency to buy upgrades, get more characters, new equipment sets, etc. and achieve certain things like “kill 50 armored foes” that also lets you unlock things. These unlocks can be used in the current and subsequent attempts.

Very well done, feature rich game, this could be full release IMO, it’s already a 30-40 hour game.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Saw a few streamers play it. Every one ended up playing it continually for a few days saying it was great and comparing the addictiveness of the day/night cycle to Loop Hero (though feeling far less rogue lite). Universal consensus from the people I watched that it was good.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw a few streamers play it. Every one ended up playing it continually for a few days saying it was great and comparing the addictiveness of the day/night cycle to Loop Hero (though feeling far less rogue lite). Universal consensus from the people I watched that it was good.
As long as they aren’t really comparing it to Loop Hero beyond addictiveness, cause it doesn’t play like it whatsoever. I’d liken it more to Ogre Tactics if it had an ironman mode.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Full release was yesterday. It is quite a bit different than when I posted a a year and a half ago.

They’ve reworked perks and it’s much better than the original system. There are now more perk paths than fit on a hero so they randomize them, allowing for a lot more build variety than the first iteration. They’ve also added a ton of them, and you can prep Lan your route by right clicking.

Weapons have received a ton of changes and balance passes, they’re pretty much all viable now, also allowing for a wider build variety.

There are five cities now, all with different layouts so they play quite a bit differently from each other. Each city has a boss, all with different mechanics.

They’ve added a lot of buildings, and streamlined upgrading them so you don’t have to focus on one building anymore. That plus reworks on how the shop works lends you enough currency that you can dig for items you need easier, which removed some of the stingy RNG and lends itself towards focusing on the builds you want.

Has been an excellent game all throughout Early Access, and the live patch update made a ton more improvements.