The Lord of the Rings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amazon has something none of the other streaming services do when it comes to their shows--Amazon sells things.
Not a single person on this entire planet signed up for Amazon Prime just to watch Rings of Power.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Not a single person on this entire planet signed up for Amazon Prime just to watch Rings of Power.

Ackshually, I reactivated my account. I might have had a free trial for a month and then kept it active instead of torrenting.

Chris

Potato del Grande
nielsen lags on rating release numbers by a month, they just released the Oct 10th ratings which was the season finale for ROP and episode 9 (of 10) for HOTD

509gwn2e87z91.jpg

no surprise, all the youtube "ROP showrunners are ded! amazon is pissed!!!" clickbaiters are wrong as usual, show did extremely well for amazon.

HOTD likely outscored it since these numbers are streaming only and not including cable networks, but then again amazon prime is only streaming not cable either. Netflix still runs the streaming biz though, virtually everything is Netflix all year. Disney+ didn't even show in the top 10 with She Hulk or Andor, Andor had ~350m minutes that week (sadge). Goddamn people still watching season 12 or whatever of Blacklist and NCIS, lol

a lot of overlap, basically 40% of people watched both.

Why are the HBO numbers not added for HotD?

HotD is a fraction of the cost of RoP.

Also we paid nothing to see RoP because my wife has Prime for deliveries. My mother in law paid for HotD because shared password lol.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I sucked it up and tried to watch this for one of my goofy friends. Aside from the dwarves and Adar this did not hold my attention.

My friend list will be pruned.

I dropped ROP by the second episode. 1899 held my attention longer and isn't even particularly good or original.

I make the comparison because both shows use mystery box storytelling. Both shows use a lead female protagonist.

ROP felt like a good 3 AM snoozer like Asmongold was getting at. It looks great and you can pass out while watching it.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I make the comparison because both shows use mystery box storytelling.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. As a semi adaptation prequel to a well known franchise, you know where ROP is heading. A couple of characters of unknown identity that could end up being well known characters is not the same mystery box level as 1899. 1899 was pretty shite also, I have little motivation to watch the last two episodes.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, they're developing $1b television franchises just to keep suscribed people who can't be arsed waiting another day to get their $4 HDMI cable delivered. Then again it's Amazon, they don't care about anything besides AWS and sending old people in orbit.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So benjen quit, he wasn't released or anything. He just cited that he was happy that people liked his character but he wanted to explore other characters or whatever.

I get the impression that with everything being reshaped for season 2 they either took adar into a cliched direction or just strung him along like the audience. It's a pretty hefty commitment for what amounted to like 5 minutes of screen time, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left because he just wanted to work instead of sitting on the bench all season, you know?

On one hand, I'm sad because adar was one of the BEST parts of the show, but I also am happy because it's just one more reason NOT to keep watching the show.

spronk

FPS noob
its entirely possible the population of the US no longer aligns with what you like or want. I have no clue, nothing I like seems to be what other people like and shows I love like Rome, Black Sails, Spartacus, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Farscape, etc don't get made anymore so I assume i'm in my "old man yelling at clouds" phase. I appreciate the occasional gem I am thrown like Andor, Peacemaker, or Jack Reacher and can comfortably rewatch all that stuff until I die on my 80TB Plex server

Amazon recently said over 100m people watched Lord of the Rings the Rangz of Powuh

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
its entirely possible the population of the US no longer aligns with what you like or want. I have no clue, nothing I like seems to be what other people like and shows I love like Rome, Black Sails, Spartacus, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Farscape, etc don't get made anymore so I assume i'm in my "old man yelling at clouds" phase. I appreciate the occasional gem I am thrown like Andor, Peacemaker, or Jack Reacher and can comfortably rewatch all that stuff until I die on my 80TB Plex server

Amazon recently said over 100m people watched Lord of the Rings the Rangz of Powuh

Yeah but if Amazon Video was a separate paid subscription from Amazon Prime, what percentage would pony up for it? I'd wager an overwhelming majority wouldn't.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

j00t

Yeah but if Amazon Video was a separate paid subscription from Amazon Prime, what percentage would pony up for it? I'd wager an overwhelming majority wouldn't.
There's got to be some analytics comparing users and which aspect of prime they use, as well as user growth and retention, you know? I mean Amazon has got to know the difference between people who use the service for free shipping and people who binge invincible and jack reacher.

The dump WAY too much money into it for a service that we just assume people would sub too even they didn't stream anything

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guarantee that's what they're going off of because there really is a Amaon Prime Video Only subscription, but no right minded person would ever actually sign up for that when Amazon is arguably the worst streaming service.

No other streaming service goes out of its way to say, "hey, look at all of these shows and movies you might actually want to watch instead but you can only get from our competitors!"

After years and years of everyone and their mother complaining about Amazon Video's UI, when they finally overhauled it, you know what the one big thing they did was? They removed the "free to me" filter, so now it really is just a bunch of Amazon originals nobody's heard of, your watch list/continue watching, the same repeats of movies and shows that you're not going to bother watching, and then what amounts to being endless advertising for other services and studios. Amazon wants to have their cake and eat it too, acting as both a streaming service akin to Netflix or HBO Max and a virtual blockbuster/extension of the Amazon shopping side - but it's all mashed together.

If you could dump the Prime video part for a cheaper Prime subscription, the biggest audience for their content would be the pirate bay because Prime Video is nothing more than a glorified pay-per-view service with free samples sprinkled around.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

News flash: both amazon and netflix put out the same kind of woke shit these days. there's not really any large difference. Also, there's a world of difference in quality between spartacus and rome, between farscape and breaking bad.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So benjen quit, he wasn't released or anything. He just cited that he was happy that people liked his character but he wanted to explore other characters or whatever.
That will be the agreed statement the lawyers came up with, there is 100% more to this. You don't sign up for an ongoing show then quit it for no reason.

I get the impression that with everything being reshaped for season 2 they either took adar into a cliched direction or just strung him along like the audience. It's a pretty hefty commitment for what amounted to like 5 minutes of screen time, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left because he just wanted to work instead of sitting on the bench all season, you know?
This makes some sense, if his role was being made smaller and the guy wants to act - especially if he has other offers.

Could also he trouble on set too.

j00t

That will be the agreed statement the lawyers came up with, there is 100% more to this. You don't sign up for an ongoing show then quit it for no reason.

This makes some sense, if his role was being made smaller and the guy wants to act - especially if he has other offers.

Could also he trouble on set too.
i mean, it could just be something like how they recast the mountain 4 or 5 different times in game of thrones. they talk about the character WAY more than they show up on screen. from a script stand point it could come across like you are getting way more work than you thought, but the reality is you're just sitting in your trailer twiddling your thumbs while you turn down work.

i think they got rid of the Mormon show runners, so they may have gone a completely different direction with Adar and dude wanted out so they just let him go. /shrug