The Lord of the Rings

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah and the forging of the rings.

Something like Sauron makes the rings in disgise with the elves, Sauron wages war and is defeated/captured by Numenor, Sauron corrupts Numenor leading to it's destruction, refugees from it form the last alliance and defeat Sauron (LotR Prolog).

4 seasons?
Hm, I would honestly be surprised if they spent much time on the forging of the rings.

Goatface

Amazon's The Lord of the Rings TV show has planned a 5-season series arc so far, with eight to ten episodes in each season. Filming for the first two episodes has already been completed, and post-production work has started.
Movieweb — January 13

goes against what was said in 2019 that season 1 would be 20 episodes.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Even ignoring the fact that wokeness is almost certainly going to infect this, bringing the people who birthed the latest idiotic Star Treks is not a good sign.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
This is gonna be a mess for sure. Lead part will be a genderfluid hobbit namned Bimbo Faggins and his merry band of social justice warriors on a monumental quest against white elf supremacy.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I hear they already cast the part of Sauron...

1611193076055.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Morgoth and Melkor are the same character unless you are joking!
I know. I also know that lots of people have only read and watched the trilogy. Earlier age references might not stick with everyone.

I <heart> Gothmog.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I know. I also know that lots of people have only read and watched the trilogy. Earlier age references might not stick with everyone.

I <heart> Gothmog.
Lol, googled it to make sure but yeah, it's the cancer faced orc AND the Balrog leader.

They need to make the Silmarillion trilogy.

Movie 1: Beren and Luthien with LotR style prologue setting up Melkor/Silmarils. This movie introduces the new setting and Sauron is in the story mid way through further setting the context of the time period.

Movie 2: Children of Hurin. Sets up the pieces for the final war and is your darker middle movie with Turin's failed hero's journey story (incest suicides!). Fit in Fingolfin vs Melkor here somewhere.

Movie 3: Fall of Gondolin with epilouge showing the banishment of Melkor. Gothmog vs Glorfindel. Contrasts Tuor's successful hero's journey with his cousin Turin.

Creepy digitally de-aged Cate Blanchett can make some cameos.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have faith they SJW the shit out of it and fuck it all up.

Well not quite, but fresh word from production set is they are basing the LOTR universe on planet Earth, rather than Middle Earth.

It's going to be more like modern Earth in terms of set pieces and atmosphere. They're cutting the high fantasy aspects down. How much? I can't say right now. But it's confirmed there is a reduction taking place.

• 1Picard
  • 1Rustled

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well not quite, but fresh word from production set is they are basing the LOTR universe on planet Earth, rather than Middle Earth.

It's going to be more like modern Earth in terms of set pieces and atmosphere. They're cutting the high fantasy aspects down. How much? I can't say right now. But it's confirmed there is a reduction taking place.
no way do not want GIF by CBC

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Clown World
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

They cant possibly be this stupid after spending a couple hundred million to buy the rights can they?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Wait what? How would this even work? Like how that new shitty Robin Hood movie was weirdly modern (You know, where they used bows as if they were rifles lol)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

The series will concentrate on a tight knit group of lovable orcs like Shrek who are travelling through Europe, circa 1000 AD and encounter racism from Men of the West.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wait what? How would this even work? Like how that new shitty Robin Hood movie was weirdly modern (You know, where they used bows as if they were rifles lol)

Was writing fast-- didn't have time for word choice. 'basing' was lazy.

It could mean a little more modern take, or it could mean realism being taken up a few notches. Details are scant.

My take on the leak was that it's not going to be campy high fantasy fluffy Peter Jackson stuff. And they don't care if the set pieces are Earth-like rather than Middle Earth. And the fact they don't care could impact the tone of the story telling. It's not clear if that's supposed to jive with the overall tone of the story, but there has to be some reason this leak was reported specifically about the look of the show not being satisfactory to LOTR fans.

A few critics are already convinced this is going to be a pretty disrespectful effort by Amazon though.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

It could mean a little more modern take, or it could mean realism being taken up a few notches. Details are scant.

My take on the leak was that it's not going to be campy high fantasy fluffy Peter Jackson stuff. And they don't care if the set pieces are Earth-like rather than Middle Earth. And the fact they don't care could impact the tone of the story telling. It's not clear if that's supposed to jive with the overall tone of the story, but there has to be some reason this leak was reported specifically about the look of the show not being satisfactory to LOTR fans.

A few critics are already convinced this is going to be a pretty disrespectful effort by Amazon though.

The 2 guys (John D Payne, Patrick McKay) they have hired to run/write this have absolutely no resumes

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>

I am one of those who firmly believe this is going to be a total raping of Tolkien's works. The showrunners have no experience and are associated with Bad Robot (they were going to do the Star Trek 4 movie). If rumors/leaks are to be believed, they fired the writers when Christopher Tolkien died and brought in new ones. Since he was the one zealously protecting his father's legacy, there is no one left to ensure Amazon treats Tolkien with respect. They have brought in a nudity/intimacy coordinator so they are going to GoT the series. HBO-type nudity and sex in a Tolkien work. It's a disgusting perversion of the source material and an insult to the memory of a deeply religious man. That type of thing has a time and a place but it is not in a work with Tolkien's name attached to it.

Since his world is based on the mythology of the British Isles, and we all know how anything with even a hint of white, European origins is now problematic, we will get all kinds of "subverting expectations." Sauron will be a toxic white male. There will be tons of gender swapping. There will be a female lead (probably a person of color who is a lesbian since the current fad seems to portray all black women as lesbians). She won't be kick ass because of the strength of her character, but because all the men around her will be dumb, ineffectual and weak. The religious and moral undertones that Tolkien weaved through his world will now be something like: the elves are colonizers of Middle Earth; Gollum's fall to the Ring will be some kind of (and blatantly obvious) allegory for capitalism; orcs will now be all white and also an in your face symbols of Caucasian, Judeo-Christian, European culture that invades the noble, peaceful and perfect indigenous peoples; and so on and so on.

I am deeply tired of Hollywood, and all of the entertainment industry, being so creatively bankrupt that they cannot create anything new. Instead, they take classic works and IPs and "update" them with modern, culture war propaganda, completely erasing the original themes and morals lessons. Twenty, heck even ten years ago, I would have been excited to see SF/Fantasy novels adapted for a movie or series due to the great advances in special and digital effects. These days, any time I see some classic work adapted or rebooted by Hollywood, I know it's most likely going to be utter garbage and feel nothing but apathy.

• 16Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 18 users