Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1621508722116.jpg

• 10Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 12 users

spronk

FPS noob
“Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” is set roughly 250 years before the events of “The Fellowship of the Ring” and follows the story of Helm Hammerhand. Casual “LOTR” fans may recognize that name for Helm’s Deep, the fortress that serves as the setting for the epic battle at the end of “The Two Towers.” But diehard Tolkien fans will know that Hammerhand was once a legendary King of Rohan. Tolkien described events of his life in appendices from the books, but the specifics of his story were never outlined.

• 3Like
  • 1I Came
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Seriously? Theyre gonna take some fifth rate nobody king from one of tolkiens notes and make the series about that? Who cares about the war of the rohirrim when they have the war of the silmarils they could use? Goddamn

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Won't matter. The Omega Covid variant will be out by then and our TV's will be forced to wear masks.
Don't be silly.

The TV will be connected to the internet and will automatically report you for not wearing YOUR mask at home while watching TV.

• 2Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seriously? Theyre gonna take some fifth rate nobody king from one of tolkiens notes and make the series about that? Who cares about the war of the rohirrim when they have the war of the silmarils they could use? Goddamn
I think that's the point. Any deviation from a know story will result in nerd rage. This just gives them the ability to tell any story they want in the lotr world

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I think that's the point. Any deviation from a know story will result in nerd rage. This just gives them the ability to tell any story they want in the lotr world

Queer womxn racial equity and gender justice stories. And when people even question it they'll be accused of toxic masculinity and racist nerd rage! You see, Tolkien was a trailblazer for all the state-sponsored social justice causes all along, you were just too busy being a bigot to notice.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
we can hate a terrible story because it's terrible. i'm just pointing out that picking something that gives them a blank slate doesn't start them in the hole

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doing a proper series about the Silmarils would be a huuuuuuge endeavor, bigger than LotR itself, imo. Doing the story of Helm, as an animated film/series should ok, aside from the obvious inclusion of wokeness.

Looking at the current cast for the series about Numenor is as expected. Much brown (though mostly within reason, depending on who they are). Then we get to the 3 cringe casting choices:
Sophia Nomvete
Sara Zwangobani
Megan Richards

Caliane

Wonder how the fans would have taken story ideas from Lord of the Rings online being used?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I know I missed it at first glance.

"the light source in the far background that one might have initially mistaken for the sun is, in fact, the piercing illumination of two giant trees, the Two Trees of Valinor. Thusly, it appears that the frequently-referenced but never-seen locale of Valinor, a.k.a. the Undying Lands (the mystical place to which Frodo, Gandalf and Bilbo sailed off into the sunset for a special privilege retirement,) has finally manifested in live-action form."

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's definitely the two trees, which is surprising b/c I thought they didn't have the rights to anything in the first age?

Maybe the series opens with a bookend to the first age, similar to the opening in Fellowship when you see Sauron defeated at the end of the 2nd age. It would be cool to see the capture of Morgoth & his banishment at the Door of Night; while Sauron makes his escape to somewhere in Middle-Earth then reappears to the elves as Annatar.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's definitely the two trees, which is surprising b/c I thought they didn't have the rights to anything in the first age?

Maybe the series opens with a bookend to the first age, similar to the opening in Fellowship when you see Sauron defeated at the end of the 2nd age. It would be cool to see the capture of Morgoth & his banishment at the Door of Night; while Sauron makes his escape to somewhere in Middle-Earth then reappears to the elves as Annatar.
nerd !
but that would be damn cool

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will geek out for a moment. People say that Tolkien created a conflict that was purely black and white with no real psychology behind the bad guys. But he does lay out the differences between Sauron and Morgoth in an essay in Morgoth's Ring that is quite interesting and could be relevant to the tv series.

"..when Melkor was confronted by the existence of other inhabitants of Arda... he was enraged by the mere fact of their existence... Morgoth would no doubt, if he had been victorious, have ultimately destroyed even his own creatures... Melkor’s final impotence and despair lay in this: that whereas the Valar could still love Arda Marred... (in contrast) Melkor could do nothing with Arda... even left alone he could only have gone raging on till all was levelled again into a formless chaos."

"
Sauron had never reached this stage of nihilistic madness. He did not object to the existence of the world, so long as he could do what he liked with it... he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. Sauron had, in fact, been very like Saruman, and so still understood him quickly and could guess what he would be likely to think and do... (Sauron's) plans, the idea coming from his own isolated mind, became the sole object of his will, and an end, the End, in itself."

"
Morgoth had no plan; unless destruction and reduction to nil can be called a plan. But this is, of course, a simplification of the situation. Sauron had not served Morgoth, even in his last stages, without becoming infected by his lust for destruction, and his hatred for God... He probably deluded himself with the notion that the Valar (including Melkor) having failed, Eru had simply abandoned Eä"

Sauron was originally a maiar that served Aule, who was kind of like a greek god of smithing. Hence is love for order, coordination, and perfection. He saw Morgoth as someone who could more quickly realize his plans & designs because he was the most powerful (and charismatic) Valar. But as Tolkien puts it this decision put him on a path that spiraled downward.. to the point that implementing his plans and controlling others became the end in itself. Sauron was a master smith so he created the rings to do exactly that.

Morgoth on the other hand was closer to pure evil. He wanted to destroy the world simply because he was not its sole author/god/king.

Last edited:
  • 2Like