The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sauron doesnt forge the rings for the elves. Celebrimbor does. Sauron just forges the One Ring.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, initially, sauron (annatar) teaches celebrimbor how to create the rings with the plan of giving all the rings to the elves, but celebrimbor made 3 of them without sauron's input because he started to suspect something was up, but didn't quite know what. so he gave the three rings to cirdan (who later gives his ring to gandalf IMMEDIATELY upon meeting him), galadriel and elrond because a) he trusted them, b)they were just about the most powerful elves around at that time and c) probably most importantly, DIDN'T live in eregion.

sauron had a super slow gameplan and took like, another 400 years or something, flew home to mordor and made the one ring himself and then stormed eregion, stole the rest of the rings and basically burnt eregion to the ground. because celebrimbor basically used the exact technique that sauron taught him, the 3 elven rings were still TECHNICALLY connected to the one ring, but they didn't have the negative effects of the other rings. when sauron asked celebrimbor about them, he wouldn't tell sauron where the remaining 3 rings were so sauron tortured him to death. good times.

also, sauron, as annatar, showed up to eregion and celebrimbor and gained their favor over something like 400 years BEFORE the rings were crafted, so we're talking a total of some 800+ years between annatar showing up and making all the rings/handing them to the 9 men and 7 dwarf lords.

this show is compressing the timeline SIGNIFICANTLY if isildur is a young adult and the rings aren't even made yet

• 5Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Goatface

this show is compressing the timeline SIGNIFICANTLY if isildur is a young adult and the rings aren't even made yet

i looked into the timelines, really doesn't seem to be one totally agreed on timeline, guess changes depend on what is considered cannon and most don't say where the info comes from.
anyway i pulled few dates from several, so some might be wildly wrong.

52 of 1st age, celeborn and galadriel marry
455 galadriel's 2 brothers are killed
465 galadriel's brother dies
532 elrond born
590 1st age ends
early 2nd age, celeborn and galadriel go to lindon, celeborn rules over harlindon
500 sauron shows up
before 750 mithril discovered in moria
750 eregion founded
750 galadriel and celeborn go to eregion
900 - 1000 sauron starts building barad dur and forges of Orodruin
1200 numenor starts building harbors in middle earth
1200 sauron comes to eregion
1350 galadriel and kid go to lothlorien
before 1500 Durin the 4th born
1500 forging of the rings starts
1600 one ring forged
1600 barad dur completed
1693 war elves and sauron
1694 elron sent to eregion
1697 eregion destroyed
1697 elrond founds rivendell
1697 celebrimbor dies
1699 sauron armies siege rivendell and lindon
1700 minastir sends the great navy of numenor
1700 sauron defeated at battle of the gwathlo
1800 numenor starts building settlements in middle earth
2251 nazgul first appear
3110 contact with the elves prohibited in numenor
3119 elendil born
3209 isildur born
3255 pharazon marries miriel, seizes throne, becomes 25th and last king of numenor
3260's pharazon captures sauron, sauron becomes his advisor
3319 fall of numenor
3320 gondor and arnor founded
3429 war of last alliance starts
3429 mount doom erupts
3441 sauron defeated

so on the numenor side of things, guess they are going to fit all numenor stuff under pharazon. which i guess can work. that way they could fit the whole story within 200 years, even with a big time jump after the fall of numenor to get cities built.

i would almost bet, they are going to keep galadriel in the story till the end of the war, then have her marry celeborn and go to lothlorien

don't know if in promos/trailer or just a theory, but
mount doom erupts and mordor is going to be formed as we know it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i looked into the timelines, really doesn't seem to be one totally agreed on timeline, guess changes depend on what is considered cannon and most don't say where the info comes from.
anyway i pulled few dates from several, so some might be wildly wrong.

52 of 1st age, celeborn and galadriel marry
455 galadriel's 2 brothers are killed
465 galadriel's brother dies
532 elrond born
590 1st age ends
early 2nd age, celeborn and galadriel go to lindon, celeborn rules over harlindon
500 sauron shows up
before 750 mithril discovered in moria
750 eregion founded
750 galadriel and celeborn go to eregion
900 - 1000 sauron starts building barad dur and forges of Orodruin
1200 numenor starts building harbors in middle earth
1200 sauron comes to eregion
1350 galadriel and kid go to lothlorien
before 1500 Durin the 4th born
1500 forging of the rings starts
1600 one ring forged
1600 barad dur completed
1693 war elves and sauron
1694 elron sent to eregion
1697 eregion destroyed
1697 elrond founds rivendell
1697 celebrimbor dies
1699 sauron armies siege rivendell and lindon
1700 minastir sends the great navy of numenor
1700 sauron defeated at battle of the gwathlo
1800 numenor starts building settlements in middle earth
2251 nazgul first appear
3110 contact with the elves prohibited in numenor
3119 elendil born
3209 isildur born
3255 pharazon marries miriel, seizes throne, becomes 25th and last king of numenor
3260's pharazon captures sauron, sauron becomes his advisor
3319 fall of numenor
3320 gondor and arnor founded
3429 war of last alliance starts
3429 mount doom erupts
3441 sauron defeated

so on the numenor side of things, guess they are going to fit all numenor stuff under pharazon. which i guess can work. that way they could fit the whole story within 200 years, even with a big time jump after the fall of numenor to get cities built.

i would almost bet, they are going to keep galadriel in the story till the end of the war, then have her marry celeborn and go to lothlorien

don't know if in promos/trailer or just a theory, but
mount doom erupts and mordor is going to be formed as we know it
adar and the sword/key theory
i was watching a video from In Deep Geek on youtube, he theorized that adar's plan to block out the sun or whatever he said, is to erupt mt doom, which causes it to remain an active volcano indefinitely, constantly spewing black smoke over all of the southlands, which changes the name to mordor (translates to The Land of Shadow). no idea HOW the sword that theo has is going to instigate that, though... might have something to do with the stranger, it's theorized that he's a balrog, and maybe sacrificing him is the plan or something? no idea.

also i've seen some timeline stuff as well that didn't have a source, so i'm thinking it's all pulled from chris tolkien gathering notes and scribbles and letters. the problem is that some of j.r.r. stuff conflicts with himself. he never "officially" released a lot of that stuff because he was still thinking it through, and other stuff he wanted to change because he was conflicted about his original ideas (creation of the orcs, dagor dagorath, for example). he also left A LOT of the first and second age empty because he liked the idea of other people filling in those blanks, though i'm not sure if he meant that officially or just through personal fan fiction type stuff

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

ahh good old cocomelon and NCIS

only measuring streaming, not cable TV numbers. nielsen lags other trackers by about 3 weeks because... ?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
More episodes like this one and this series has some legs.

If I were in the writing room:

- Dont; have the queen regent travel with the army. This makes no sense and leaves a void in Numenor,
- Why was the army galloping towards the inevitable battle? It made it seem like they knew where to go and why...I would have advocated for either them stumbling on the village or have another means of them discovering the village in peril ahead of time. I felt this was lazy
- I would have killed the vast majority of the village, including the established characters. At present the show has no consequence and is heavy on plot armor.
- Stop making this mom a mary sue. I would have had her killed when Adar initially took the village.
- I really like that we are seeing the claiming of Mordor the region...BUT, your focusing too much on Gladriel and making her impossibly good at everything. Strong characters have flaws and fail sometimes. I'd have already introduced and Sauron as Annatar and taken the political intrigue approach.
- The actor playing Adar is very good and has great screen presence. Don't waste it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jesus fuck. Finally. A decent episode.
Better than the other 5 combined.
More episodes like this one and this series has some legs.
What the FUCK? They jumped the shark with this episode.

craiyon_200233_Jumping_the_shark_but_it_s_lava.png

One hour and they had a shitty battle where they had orcs constantly stabbing woke female fighters, the Numenorean fleet teleported to Mordor and fought in their 3D printed armor, Adar isn't Maglor but just some dark elf fuckboi siring orc babies (this bit wasn't too bad), nobody in the southlands has heard of Haldir, then shitty CGI lava rocks hit everyone.

They ended the episode with PYROCLASTIC FLOW HITTING GALADRIEL. I can just stop watching now, half of the characters just got burned to a crisp apparently.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah definitely weird episode. Visuals still look great and at least a lot of plot happened so I didn't fall asleep during the episode.

is the Southlands just like 80 humans living in a tiny village of a few huts? The whole "you are the King that was promised!" just came out of nowhere, unless I missed some talk about it in the past. Yeah I know Galadriel talked about it a bit but I don't remember Bronwyn or any of the actual humans talking about any of it.

I just don't understand why they didn't have an actual kingdom, with towns and villages, and sure you can POV a small village near Mt. Doom and focus on them but fucking show us a functional, big human civilization not 50-100 human beings in an area the size of Texas. They clearly spent more money than God so why make everything so damn small scale. Whats up with the elves who spent hundreds of years in this area watching for followers of Morgoth to return to evil? They have all fucked off and thats that? No questions about their missing elves?

Halbrend has got to be Sauron at this point, the hints they drop every episode are just funny
ROP_Halbrand_Is_Sauron.png

he might as well have just said "I COULD BUILD A RING THAT HOLDS THAT FEELING"

• 1Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One hour and they had a shitty battle where they had orcs constantly stabbing woke female fighters, the Numenorean fleet teleported to Mordor and fought in their 3D printed armor, Adar isn't Maglor but just some dark elf fuckboi siring orc babies (this bit wasn't too bad), nobody in the southlands has heard of Haldir, then shitty CGI lava rocks hit everyone.

They ended the episode with PYROCLASTIC FLOW HITTING GALADRIEL. I can just stop watching now, half of the characters just got burned to a crisp apparently.
Some elves are immune to dragon fire, yo, but only if they have pure Valyrian Valinor blood!

I assume they will portray it as a firestorm, even though it looks like they modeled the CGI on pyroclastic flows...the director wanted a cool shot, so they gave him a cool shot.

As for the battle, it was standard Hollywood fare, so it's mostly whatever, but the ork monk playing fisticuffs with the elf ranger was maximum silly. Again, this would have been perfect for an elf to show they were worth 10 to 20 men and just go slaughtering orcs instead of that stupid WWF fight. To bad elves in this show are weaklings, little better than a human.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As for the battle, it was standard Hollywood fare, so it's mostly whatever, but the ork monk playing fisticuffs with the elf ranger was maximum silly. Again, this would have been perfect for an elf to show they were worth 10 to 20 men and just go slaughtering orcs instead of that stupid WWF fight. To bad elves in this show are weaklings, little better than a human.
Yeah, I was trying to really figure out why the elf was not kicking this orc's ass. The orc throws the elf but the elf would in one moment appear as strong as a human but then suddenly be able to match strength. It was an odd fight.

Also, nobody bothers unwrapping the blade to make sure, it was the blade? You chase this bad elf down and get the item. Then you bring him back and tie him up and then for some amount of time keep him. During all that time nobody thought to unwrap and check...Wow.

It was amazing how fast the elves reached those people. Horses go warp speed yo.

It was the best episode so far but as with all of the other episodes there are moments that always feel off.

• 1Like

Goatface

Yeah definitely weird episode. Visuals still look great and at least a lot of plot happened so I didn't fall asleep during the episode.

is the Southlands just like 80 humans living in a tiny village of a few huts? The whole "you are the King that was promised!" just came out of nowhere, unless I missed some talk about it in the past. Yeah I know Galadriel talked about it a bit but I don't remember Bronwyn or any of the actual humans talking about any of it.

I just don't understand why they didn't have an actual kingdom, with towns and villages, and sure you can POV a small village near Mt. Doom and focus on them but fucking show us a functional, big human civilization not 50-100 human beings in an area the size of Texas. They clearly spent more money than God so why make everything so damn small scale. Whats up with the elves who spent hundreds of years in this area watching for followers of Morgoth to return to evil? They have all fucked off and thats that? No questions about their missing elves?
after joining team morgoth would think they got their shit pushed back into the stone age. villages of 50-150 would be about the norm for places that don't river access or ports. i guess the elves were stopping them from getting to organized.
king gil-galad declare evil was defeated and pulled all the troops home.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Halbrend has got to be Sauron at this point, the hints they drop every episode are just funny
View attachment 435711

he might as well have just said "I COULD BUILD A RING THAT HOLDS THAT FEELING"
it was leaked before the season started. Halbrand=Sauron. if thats actually the case, i am unsure, but its been talked about since the final trailer.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is Sauron going to be a different person every season? Or does Galadriel take him to Eregion because Southlands dies?

Still makes no sense to me, but they ARE dropping the hints.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sauron's gonna make a 2s slow-motion appearance at the end of the last episode of this shows last season and you'll remember how you spent the last five years playing Where's Waldo instead of noticing how bad it was written all along.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
theyre pulling off these last second reveals really badly. they love to end the episode that way, but they suck at it.

a couple episodes ago it was the "pretend to send Galadriel off the island, then reveal her at the last second" stupidity.

then this time the "oops it was just a hatchet not the powerful artifact" reveal. Both times, its like they were going for some big surprise moment and it came off more like "oh thats dumb, anyway".

great episode overall though, if the rest are like this I'd happily forget the first few.

• 1Seriously?