The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This shows attention to detail is so god awful. The costumes, the dialogue, the pacing are all just such utter shit. The dwarves have been the only redeeming factor and the dark elf uruk guy is whatever I guess. He gets a +1 just for lore aspects, though his writing borders and decent and shit.

I cared not one little fuck for the humans getting over-ran by the orcs. I cared not one little bit about who died, I was kinda hoping all of them. The Numenorians riding in woulda been cool, if their armor and horse bardings didn't look like total high school props.

Who is this kid and why do I give a shit about him. Just some random loser I'm supposed to care about. Galadriel doesn't have one redeeming feature and such a horribly written character. Same with the human elf fucker chick. How does the biggest traitor end up with the most sought after relic and just sneak away with it. Why were they keeping orcs as prisoners? Fuck this show is so bad. 1/10 only because the sets are great. Unfortunately the cinematography is still shit.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
This shows attention to detail is so god awful. The costumes, the dialogue, the pacing are all just such utter shit. The dwarves have been the only redeeming factor and the dark elf uruk guy is whatever I guess. He gets a +1 just for lore aspects, though his writing borders and decent and shit.

I cared not one little fuck for the humans getting over-ran by the orcs. I cared not one little bit about who died, I was kinda hoping all of them. The Numenorians riding in woulda been cool, if their armor and horse bardings didn't look like total high school props.

Who is this kid and why do I give a shit about him. Just some random loser I'm supposed to care about. Galadriel doesn't have one redeeming feature and such a horribly written character. Same with the human elf fucker chick. How does the biggest traitor end up with the most sought after relic and just sneak away with it. Why were they keeping orcs as prisoners? Fuck this show is so bad. 1/10 only because the sets are great. Unfortunately the cinematography is still shit.
Costumes Shit really ? Lol show has its bad points but costumes are solid . High production values .

episode 6 was awesome , too bad it took too long to get into gear . . .

maybe the kid is one of the Nazgûl ?

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
costume complaints are common for this.
"they are shit" is of course pretty vague.

Wheel of time- shit. Due to anachronistic outfits. Designs don't really fit the world or characters often. unrelealistic as well. Especially fatal is a lack of attention to detail. stitching, modern items mixed in for cheap props. and zero weathering. everything looks like it just came out of the dry cleaners.

Witcher s1. mixed. most is pretty good. but ballsack armor is atrociously bad.
witcher s2. mixed. fixed the ballsack, make other problems.

rings of power. anachronisims. armor not matching cultures well. some nonsense. scale mail decoration over harded leather? printed fabric mail being clearly visible. they cheaped out far too visibly too often.

I think people are being a bit unfair, here. But the main issue is the proposed budget. the costuming doesn't match how much this is supposed to have cost. This is coupled up with the Lord of the Rings movies. which put ALOT of effort into making the costuming perfect. Fabrics, stitching, clasps, etc, everything is a faithful reproduction. so having that point of reference, makes everything in this seem worse then it really is, compared to other tv shows.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
After the middle-school-play costumes in WoT I can't see any problems with the costumes in rings of power. I think my standards may have been permanently damaged by watching that show. This looks great.

Casting and writing are another story

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people are being a bit unfair, here. But the main issue is the proposed budget. the costuming doesn't match how much this is supposed to have cost. This is coupled up with the Lord of the Rings movies. which put ALOT of effort into making the costuming perfect. Fabrics, stitching, clasps, etc, everything is a faithful reproduction. so having that point of reference, makes everything in this seem worse then it really is, compared to other tv shows.
Yes its the budget. If this didn't have a billion dollars attached to it it'd get a bit more of a pass. But those Numenorian outfits are just lol. These are supposed to be the pinacle of humans and they go in with, rawhide? Or is that supposed to be scale mail (please god don't tell me it was scale mail).

Yea its nit picky but that's what people do when everything else is shit. Fucking battle going on and you got two dip shits staring off at Galadriel "who's that", "that's Galadriel, commander of the northern armies". Corny as fuck.

Everything in this series is actors taking themselves too serious on a script that was written for children, dialogue that came out of a WOW sidequest.

Yea production values are great but direction sucks, cinematography sucks, actors suck, casting sucks, dialogue sucks, costumes suck, plot is garbage, no coherent theme. Anyone defending this puke pile of a show obviously isn't a Tolkien fan.

Nothing about this says billion dollar series. This could've easily aired on SciFi and nobody would've been the wiser.

As for comparing this to WoT in the costumes I couldn't get past episode 1 in WoT and that was something I was looking forward to more then this (still never read the WoT books though). So while I give this a 1/10 I give WoT 0/10.

But fuck me I'll be back next week so who's the real fag here.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Costumes Shit really ? Lol show has its bad points but costumes are solid . High production values .

episode 6 was awesome , too bad it took too long to get into gear . . .

maybe the kid is one of the Nazgûl ?
The bar had already been set by the LOTR and Amazon knew that and still went with a shitty 3d printing company to make their props and costumes so it's them not even attempting to rise to the standard. This went from an army of the best VFX people in the world working with actual blacksmiths and warfare historians who were hand fitting pieces onto extras that probably wouldn't even be seen to the laughable shit that Amazon is putting out and I'm really unsure why some people defend it? Just do a 1:1 Elendil comparison from the 2 seconds that he's on screen in the LOTR to what he looks like in every scene in this show. The movies put so much more though and care into just that one character than anything that Amazon has presented.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like Halbrand being Sauron would be just too obvious and on the nose since ep1. But also the writers of this show are so dumb that its probably true.

I honestly hope hes not Sauron. Making him the Witch King or something would be more satisfying as Sauron would be just blowing your load instantly and have little to work with for another 40 episodes.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't understand why they had the arbitary three ship limit.

Numenor is also supposed to have ports in Middle Earth. They could have had the previous episode be in Umbar, not Numenor and show them setting out on their ride.

You can't do an isolationist orange man bad storyline if the island is doing trade with other men though.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So who is this king of neumenor that was "overthrown" that they mention? I don't recall any being overthrown. And so they are are going to rehash a whole aragorn "king in exile, your people need you" shit with whats his name?

I'm telling you now, viewership is going to fall off a cliff with this. Non-Fans have got to be bored, and actual LotR fans will keep watching just to see scenes from the books on film, but will be constantly pissed off when they add things out of thin air or throw in a bunch of Africans in what is supposed to be a sequestered Island nation of high men.

Speaking of High men, I like how they changed "Men of Darkness" to "low men".

p.s. so Isildur and his "sister" have different mommas I take it? Seeing how the sister is white as snow, and Isilidur is obviously mixed race.
I actually think that king will become a ring wraith. Because hey why not.

• 1Like

Goatface

I don't understand why they had the arbitary three ship limit.

Numenor is also supposed to have ports in Middle Earth. They could have had the previous episode be in Umbar, not Numenor and show them setting out on their ride.

You can't do an isolationist orange man bad storyline if the island is doing trade with other men though.
they brought up, this battle would open the door to the ports. they are just going to compress something like 2000 years of numenor stuff into a decade or so.
my understanding the leaders had the 5 ships not attached to the navy and could use them with the volunteer army. in theory, somewhere on numenor should be a great port/shipyard with a lot of ships.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
costume complaints are common for this.
"they are shit" is of course pretty vague.

Wheel of time- shit. Due to anachronistic outfits. Designs don't really fit the world or characters often. unrelealistic as well. Especially fatal is a lack of attention to detail. stitching, modern items mixed in for cheap props. and zero weathering. everything looks like it just came out of the dry cleaners.

Witcher s1. mixed. most is pretty good. but ballsack armor is atrociously bad.
witcher s2. mixed. fixed the ballsack, make other problems.

rings of power. anachronisims. armor not matching cultures well. some nonsense. scale mail decoration over harded leather? printed fabric mail being clearly visible. they cheaped out far too visibly too often.

Honestly I won't hate on them for the costumes. There's nothing that really strikes me as horrible or out of place. This is nothing like wheel of time, where the bad costumes slapped you across the face. It's also inevitable that TV is going to make your armor look cheaper than a good movie no matter what you do, as the higher frame rate makes things like that just more obvious. This show has a lot wrong with it, but I don't think the person making the costumes is to blame.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
p.s. so Isildur and his "sister" have different mommas I take it? Seeing how the sister is white as snow, and Isilidur is obviously mixed race.
That seems to be their universal excuse in this series. Aren't there like 3-4 occurrences of this where they indicate a first wife died or something?

Prince Durin and his wife (Durin's kids are all white in the subsequent movies/stories)
Largo Brandyfoot and his wife (all of their kids are white)
Queen of Númenor and her dad (her dad is Joe Biden)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That seems to be their universal excuse in this series. Aren't there like 3-4 occurrences of this where they indicate a first wife died or something?

Prince Durin and his wife (Durin's kids are all white in the subsequent movies/stories)
Largo Brandyfoot and his wife (all of their kids are white)
Queen of Númenor and her dad (her dad is Joe Biden)
yeah, i was gonna say, they are going out of their way with mixed race families. on one hand, i like that they aren't making skin color an issue. there's a hispanic elf, and no one talks about it. the queen is black and her dad is white, who cares. it comes across that they are hiring the people who are the best actors for those roles (obviously that's not the case and we all know it), on the other hand, someone in this thread said it, i can't remember who, that it all feels like a high school play where they just didn't have the pool of actors to pull from so they used who they had, and that means white parents and black kids.

Chris

Potato del Grande
yeah, i was gonna say, they are going out of their way with mixed race families. on one hand, i like that they aren't making skin color an issue. there's a hispanic elf, and no one talks about it. the queen is black and her dad is white, who cares. it comes across that they are hiring the people who are the best actors for those roles (obviously that's not the case and we all know it), on the other hand, someone in this thread said it, i can't remember who, that it all feels like a high school play where they just didn't have the pool of actors to pull from so they used who they had, and that means white parents and black kids.
I saw Les Mis a few months ago.

The little white girl that's on the poster was white as a child then full black after the timeskip. Then after the interval, the black actress was ill, so the character was suddenly white again and all was well.

Apparently the other little girl who died as an adult is commonly cast as a minority, but was white. The "dress as a man to fight" plot made no sense though as they had woman dressed as women fighting.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
With the prince and kweeness, they somehow messed up and picked two great people. They are the only thing I look forward to in this show, and they are obviously both acting their hearts out. We know it was a mistake because black elf and galadriel are fucking terrible, and they are our main focus.

Notice that the critical drinker didn't say anything bad about the dwarves, I don't think he even mentioned them. Wouldn't be surprised if he skipped over them cause it'd muddy the rest of his message.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
With the prince and kweeness, they somehow messed up and picked two great people. They are the only thing I look forward to in this show, and they are obviously both acting their hearts out. We know it was a mistake because black elf and galadriel are fucking terrible, and they are our main focus.

Notice that the critical drinker didn't say anything bad about the dwarves, I don't think he even mentioned them. Wouldn't be surprised if he skipped over them cause it'd muddy the rest of his message.
Eh, I think Hispanic elf is fine. He's honestly the most elf like of the entire cast

• 1Like