The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
long, interesting article on behind the scenes for Rings of Power

Amazon’s negotiating team (led by Sharon Tal Yguado, Roy Price and Dan Scharf) wooed the estate not with a specific pitch, but with a pledge of a close relationship that would give the estate a creative seat at the table so it could protect Tolkien’s legacy. There was also, of course, the money. Sources say the staggering number that’s been widely reported ($250 million) was actually Netflix’s bid and that Amazon’s number was tens of millions less (albeit, still staggering).

The first season’s episodes, the team believes, improve as the season progresses (the show’s Sept. 30 sixth episode, its most recent, is its highest-rated yet on IMDb). McKay says the aim of season two — which quietly started filming Oct. 3 at Bray Studios — is to be “bigger and better” on “every level … by an order of magnitude.”

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I’d probably go with Amazon for less than Netflix too. They can’t stop fucking up IPs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
With the prince and kweeness, they somehow messed up and picked two great people. They are the only thing I look forward to in this show, and they are obviously both acting their hearts out. We know it was a mistake because black elf and galadriel are fucking terrible, and they are our main focus.

Notice that the critical drinker didn't say anything bad about the dwarves, I don't think he even mentioned them. Wouldn't be surprised if he skipped over them cause it'd muddy the rest of his message.
They are the nuggets of corn inside the turd?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
FeWQjfYUUAEB6Gn

they really are just copy pasting shit from Peter Jackson films.

• 4Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love ragging on this trainwreck but some of these are kind of pathetic. Like omg two elves said the same elvish phrase (run swift) to their horse. Wow, invaders using a battering ram in a siege situation. And nobody ever talks to their horse except in LotR and RoP I guess.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm 99% sure I heard "To the keep!" because I remember wondering what the fuck he was talking about

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's like poetry.

I love ragging on this trainwreck but some of these are kind of pathetic. Like omg two elves said the same elvish phrase (run swift) to their horse. Wow, invaders using a battering ram in a siege situation. And nobody ever talks to their horse except in LotR and RoP I guess.
I'll give you the battering ram, but the horse stuff is clearly copy/paste. Especially the weird slow mo horse riding scene which is taken from Shadowfax's introduction (and it was goofy in Two Towers).

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
BTW; any nit-picking regarding volcanology must never have paid attention during the end scenes of "Return of the King" where Frodo and Sam were gaying it up in 2000 degree heat and poison gases waiting for the eagles .

last episode was much better. The thing that really is unclear to me is why they picked Friday for airtime. HBO is way smarter holding its premiere of HoTD for Sunday at 9 EST. Gives everyone something to talk about on Monday morning (good or bad). No one gives a shit by Monday about the weak show that aired Friday. Even if it were bad, it would be coffee and donuts chat.

I think there is a huge cohort that watches both shows. I do; but I tune the hell out on HotD because it is so incredibly bad... Unforgivably bad. Even with its breaks from Tolkien/source material and rather poor casting choices, it is still fun to watch (even if you are a hater-- admit it, you love to hate it). Christ it is still not as bad as Picard or any of a dozen Netfliz/Prime/TV choices.

HoTD is just hate-able. It's the difference between eating suicide-level spicy chicken wings and eating spoiled meat.

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don't get why people talk about the two shows as if it's a competition. It's not like people who are into swords and sorcery shows can't watch 2 hours of TV a week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
One episode of something happening then back to soap opera slowness. Ok fuck it I'm watching the extended LOTR again, all this show does is make me want to see them again anyway

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I spat up my drink when I saw that terrible ass "The Southlands"....."Mordor" on screen word transition there at the end. Holy fuck did that feel like it was meant for some retard demographic. Was that supposed to be some big "AHA!" moment they thought?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
are these episodes posting 12am pst? reminds me when they would do EQ patches at 3am PST and everyone would stay on extra late to clear all the mobs so we coud have them to kill again the next night. we had a string of these during Luclin because they kept fucking up their "fixes" with more and more fuckups to the point that we were clearing everything we could as soon as servers came up only to have servers come back down for another patch later that day then back up again to start over again. so much loot so little time.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
are these episodes posting 12am pst? reminds me when they would do EQ patches at 3am PST and everyone would stay on extra late to clear all the mobs so we coud have them to kill again the next night. we had a string of these during Luclin because they kept fucking up their "fixes" with more and more fuckups to the point that we were clearing everything we could as soon as servers came up only to have servers come back down for another patch later that day then back up again to start over again. so much loot so little time.
Prime seems to release shows at midnight Eastern time, so Westcoast gets it at 9pm.

They were at least consistent this week: Dwarves good, everything else bad. Outside of Durin, I don't care about any other character.

Things that stuck out:
Everyone one acts like they weren't all in the same place when the mild pyroclastic flow hit the village. Gladdy the Elf sees the devastation and, you know, wanders out of the village instead of looking for everyone that was RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO HER. Then they are all tricking in to this military camp (that has no defenses except cloth privacy walls), like they were, again, not in the SAME FUCKING VILLAGE.​
On no, Isildur died in a house fire...sure, sure.​
Discount Eminem disliking hobbits was kinda funny, I guess. Not Frodo and Sam set out on a trip with not Merrin and Pippin; so silly.​

• 3Like