The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yea true, I was just talking about online discourse / water cooler talk, not so much mystery boxes. Lost was obviously the most mystery box show of all time, but just generating talk about a show online that lasts months as the show goes on is very important to a shows success.

While Breaking Bad didn't have a lot of mystery boxes so to speak there was a lot of debate over where a season was going or what a character was going to do next.
the most intense discussions i ever had over Breaking Bad was with chicks and the whole Jane incident. after Walt let Jane choke to death, all the women i knew that watched the show wanted to fucking kill Walt and hated him like poison. guys were mostly neutral because she was likely using Jesse and she was an absolutely horrible person. so she got what she deserved. when the two opinions clashed everyone started yelling. its still probably the most fucked up thing Walt ever did on that show and thats really saying something.

Juvarisx

Florida
the most intense discussions i ever had over Breaking Bad was with chicks and the whole Jane incident. after Walt let Jane choke to death, all the women i knew that watched the show wanted to fucking kill Walt and hated him like poison. guys were mostly neutral because she was likely using Jesse and she was an absolutely horrible person. so she got what she deserved. when the two opinions clashed everyone started yelling. its still probably the most fucked up thing Walt ever did on that show and thats really saying something.

I agree with you it actually was the worst thing he did. Interestingly the thread from the show is still on here dating back to Dec 2012 and it covers mostly Season 5 part 2, and its a long ass thread.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I agree with you it actually was the worst thing he did. Interestingly the thread from the show is still on here dating back to Dec 2012 and it covers mostly Season 5 part 2, and its a long ass thread.
that show took like 3 seasons before it started to become a thing here. i remember promoting it all the time and people were just like meh, dont care, its boring.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Then why the fuck do you watch it? That's idiotic.

It's true-- I am an idiot. Why do I go for White Castle on occasion when I know it's little more than gristle? Or how can I refuse a little bag of funyuns at the checkout?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1665445719367725.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The thought process is essentially right. The most popular tv shows over the last 15 years all had strong online and watercooler discourse. Hell arguably the first one to get that discourse was Twin Peaks and its why its so well remembered by the general public even though its a weird David Lynch production. Its why I don't mind these big shows to be weekly, I cant remember half the shit I watch if I binge it over a weekend.

The problem is nothing about this show is making me want to talk about it like I do with say House of the Dragon. Sure its not as good as GoT but its getting there (most recent episode had some old school GoT in it). Rings of Power is: stuff happens and I really don't care because these characters all suck outside of the Dwarves.
Nobody is talking about either show at work, but if it came up I'd rather be talking about all the insane medieval stuff in House of the Dragon and that show has zero mysteries.

You need interesting things happening and very little of interest is happening in Rings of Power. The mysteries are kind of stupid and hollow. The only thing worth a damn is Durin's story.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So leaving out the the IP cost the official budget for Season 1 of Rings of Power is 465 million. When you adjust for inflation, the entire LotR trilogy had almost the exact same budget (somewhere between 450-470 million). Cumulative length of the LotR theatrical cut is 9 hours and 18 minutes, 11 hours and 36 minutes for the extended editions. Rings of Power is right about 9 hours in total if the episode lengths I saw online are accurate.

I'm sure it's beating a dead horse at this point but god damn the utter lack of competence and talent involved in the creation of RoP really shows.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So leaving out the the IP cost the official budget for Season 1 of Rings of Power is 465 million. When you adjust for inflation, the entire LotR trilogy had almost the exact same budget (somewhere between 450-470 million). Cumulative length of the LotR theatrical cut is 9 hours and 18 minutes, 11 hours and 36 minutes for the extended editions. Rings of Power is right about 9 hours in total if the episode lengths I saw online are accurate.

I'm sure it's beating a dead horse at this point but god damn the utter lack of competence and talent involved in the creation of RoP really shows.
The insane thing is that making armour and clothes for real and hiring extras is probably cheaper than 3D printing designs and multiply them via CGI.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The insane thing is that making armour and clothes for real and hiring extras is probably cheaper than 3D printing designs and multiply them via CGI.
The Hobbit trilogy did a more than adequate job demonstrating that, being far uglier movies than LotR despite having double the budget.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like this show. But god damn this most recent episode was so boring I fell asleep. I cant see the finale being anything good.

• 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Celebrimbor meet Halbrand!
It would be almost perfect if he says "You know, I'm something of a smith myself" when this scene happens. That single line could make this whole season worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
that show took like 3 seasons before it started to become a thing here. i remember promoting it all the time and people were just like meh, dont care, its boring.

People don't take your TV opinions seriously? I wonder what could be the reason for such low credibility

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
you should be focusing on your monkeypox, not trying to score some tryhard win with me.

you've consistently been the king of TV bad takes for the entirety of the time I've been on this forum. The majority would agree with me. It's not try hard. I'm literally owning you at the same time as healing a WOTLK heroic dungeon

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you've consistently been the king of TV bad takes for the entirety of the time I've been on this forum. The majority would agree with me. It's not try hard. I'm literally owning you at the same time as healing a WOTLK heroic dungeon
you're a legend in your own mind. have fun dogboy.