The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The people up above seem to be following the sources of this disaster. Without the thread updating with the new noghob's - would it have even crossed our thoughts? lol

Question is how long can Amazon float the cash before there's a post mortem on this series available by a major media outlet. Not the nerd fan sites.

I'm talking about a post mortem by the same news papers and critics that rated this 10/10 must-see TV.

We know it's coming. They spent way too much money on a story that isn't all that compelling given the cast they selected. Also in part due to owning incomplete rights to the story they are trying to tell.

At some point the buck has to stop.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think Amazon cares to much. This is just a billion dollar marketing and PR stunt. They can push "The Message" and get all the publicity they want.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The fact that politics obsessed right-wing people and Tolkein purist nerds on the internet hate this show doesn't mean the ratings are bad. Most people aren't deciding what TV show to watch based on how true to the Simarillion it is or whether there's a black person in it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I got some bad news for people here asking how long amazon can throw cash into a fire.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Not as long as they would have been able to for the past decade+. They just announced another 10k layoffs in addition to the first 18k.

I wouldnt think this is in any immediate danger considering the initial rights cost, but overall they don't have nearly as much money they can afford to burn now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fact that politics obsessed right-wing people and Tolkein purist nerds on the internet hate this show doesn't mean the ratings are bad. Most people aren't deciding what TV show to watch based on how true to the Simarillion it is or whether there's a black person in it.
Reductive faggotry seems to be your default. The viewership declined every week and even after Amazon put a three day halt on the ability to review the show, the review score only went back up a single point when the halt was lifted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
a friend of mine has never read the books, just saw the trilogy. i don't even know if he saw the hobit movies? when this came out he was super on board with it just from a visual perspective alone. it took him something close to 5 months to watch the whole show and i think he finished it only out of some odd sense of duty. sunken cost fallacy or whatever it is.

it's not just the diehards who hated it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Imgur is a hive of commies and tranny lovers, but there is a lot of dislike over there, as well.

spronk

FPS noob
seems like only 37% of people who started Rings of Power actually finished. I wonder if s2 continues this trajectory, and of course it will because the show fucking sucks, if Amazon will pull the plug or not

by comparison Squid Game is at 87%, Resident Evil was 45% (and got cancelled), Arcane was at 60%.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

37% complete rate is pretty bad for a big budget show like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except the ratings are bad. And the left wing outlets shit on it. This show doesn't have any redeeming qualities besides its set pieces

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Except the ratings are bad. And the left wing outlets shit on it. This show doesn't have any redeeming qualities besides its set pieces

Sad all they'll be putting on the tombstone is "Looked good in 4k" after spending a billion dollars.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
37% complete rate is pretty bad for a big budget show like that.
Imagine spending 500M on a season of a show and it being so shit only 37% of people can be bothered to finish it.

Don't hire diversity show runners and don't make your dumb fuck kid a producer. Lessons still to be learned I guess.

• 2Like

Goatface

lol, dude claiming they stole his lotr story. why would he want to take blame for this shitshow

His suit claimed, These wholly original distinct and separate characters and storylines compose as much as one-half of the 8-episode series as released and published by Defendants. In many cases, Defendants copied exact language” from his book.

“In other instances, Defendants copied images that match the book cover and descriptions as created in the book as authored by Polychron,” the suit read.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

lol, dude claiming they stole his lotr story. why would he want to take blame for this shitshow

His suit claimed, These wholly original distinct and separate characters and storylines compose as much as one-half of the 8-episode series as released and published by Defendants. In many cases, Defendants copied exact language” from his book.

“In other instances, Defendants copied images that match the book cover and descriptions as created in the book as authored by Polychron,” the suit read.
He actually released his fanfic without permission which raises this above the level of typical frivolous plagiarism lawsuits. Except looking at the dates, 4 episodes of RoP aired before he e-published his fanfic.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hope it takes the legs out of the whole thing and we are spared Season 2. He's doing God's work.

Juvarisx

Florida

This I imagine will get tossed quick. He says he recieved a copyright for the book title in 2017, but Hobbit/LoTR are not public domain as they have copyrights of 95 years. He claimed he tried to get permission, heard nothing back then was rebuffed in 2019.

It doesn't even matter if they copied the manuscript word for word as he didnt have permission to use any of the characters or IP in any way and did anyways. He is trying to get it settled out of court. Amusingly he could get counter sued by the Tolkien estate for publishing an Ebook for $$$ using their IP lol.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It doesn't even matter if they copied the manuscript word for word as he didnt have permission to use any of the characters or IP in any way and did anyways.
That kind of plagiarism would be technically legal but would still be highly unethical and scandalous behavior. But considering the e-publishing date, it's far more likely that he rewrote his shitty fanfic to match the already released episodes than they stumbled across his "masterpiece" and decided to technically not steal it.

• 1Like