The "Out Of Control Fire" Thread.

Lendarios

Buzzfeed Editor
BrutulTM BrutulTM
There are no easy solutions to this problem. Even having mexico as a supplier of water intensive crops is ok in my book. If California passed the breaking point of water produced > water consumed then they have to do something about it.

Drying up the rivers and killing the estuaries is not as easy at it seems. There are people and cities living downstream that depend on the river water flowing.
And its not about "one fish will die", instead you will chance completely the delta salinity if you just build a damn and reduce the water flow, changing the ecosystem of the delta.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Chukzombi

Vizconde de Plata del Reino
108d 1h 30m

Jovec

?
The thing about almonds is that they are trees. You can't just not water them when there's a drought or they will die and it will take tons of money and multiple years to get the orchard productive again.
Almonds take 1 gallon of water per almond to produce, walnuts take 10 gallons per nut, and California grows both. California grows more than 80% of the worlds almonds. California grows 99% of the commercial US supply of walnuts, and one-third of CA walnuts are exported out of the country. I understand the need to grow food, and I understand the need to subsidize food production for cheap food, but the biggest conservation gains will come from agriculture, not from further lowering toilet GPF.

Rain water capture requires both storage (which we do not have) and for it to actually rain (which is rarely does in SoCal - last season Los Angeles received 4.79" of rainfall from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018).

Pipe leakage is another big concern, except no one really knows how much is lost to leaks and no one wants to spend the money replacing aging water system pipes with any sort of regularity.

Rezz

Registered Orca
14d 7h 59m
I don't think climate change is the reason why California is burning. If it was purely climate based, you would see similar issues in other parts of the world with similar regularity.

The root cause is that there are -clear- signs that dangerous dry brush and other types of easy fuel for large scale fires are all over the place, and that there is very little/no effort made to keep them cleared to a safe distance around dwellings. Like, these millionaires with mansions up in the hills surrounded by currently super dry land are just asking to get barbecued at this point. Spend some of that money and keep it clear. If you don't like forest fires, don't live in the goddamn forest.

Everyone wants to have trees and nature and all that shit around them, but they don't take the proper precautions for staying safe. The Montecito hills folk are probably the worst about it. Literally acres of dry forest all around them, but it looks pretty so they don't clean it up. Hope nobody loses their life in the current blaze, but at some point people need to take responsibility for where they live and deal with that nonsense.

Gravel

Ssraeszha Raider
34d 16h 38m
Pipe leakage is another big concern, except no one really knows how much is lost to leaks and no one wants to spend the money replacing aging water system pipes with any sort of regularity.
Don't forget that we lose 50% of the water from the LA aqueduct between the Sierras and LA. They siphon off all the snow melt from the Sierras, ship it down an open air concrete aqueduct, and half of it evaporates. Because the entire trip is through a fucking desert.

I've got coworkers whose families grew up around lakes in the Sierras who say they're all ghost towns now because the lakes were drained to nothing. You drive through the Sierras and it looks like Vanguard brown. Apparently it used to be green as shit.

Nija

Molten Core Raider
23d 14h 6m
Not sure if this has been linked here, sorry if repost. You may have to visit youtube and agree to sensitive content to watch it. Guy survived but his neighbors did not. This was created a few days ago when the death toll was still something like 7 or 9.

Harkon

Trakanon Raider
10d 23h 15m
Not sure if this has been linked here, sorry if repost. You may have to visit youtube and agree to sensitive content to watch it. Guy survived but his neighbors did not. This was created a few days ago when the death toll was still something like 7 or 9.

It's like a wasteland straight out of the fallout series...

iannis

Chairman Meow
36d 2h 36m
I once ran the numbers on desalination plants, based upon the largest current output plant in the world - over in the ME. We'd have to have one every mile of the 800+ mile coast to break even on water usage, which does nothing to account for growth. Obviously we don't need to get 100% water from the sea, but still, it puts things in perspective.

Or we could just use rainwater better (at all), decide some crops are too water-intensive and disallow them, shore up our water infrastructure, and stop trying to turn parts of the desert green.

Shit cracks me up when the governor steps out and talks about how we all need to tighten our residential use up, while as mentioned accurately by a user previously, 80% of water usage in Caly is agricultural. Go fuck yourself, gov.
It would be hideous at first, but all you really have to do is prime the system. Water reclaimation with treatment and sewage plants is a part of it. It certainly would not be lossless, but the challenge at first would be inputting the water into the system that way. Once in all you have to do is replenish loss. Which there would be plenty of, sure. But you don't have to pull out 7 billion gallons an hour to feed the system is all I'm talking about.

A big investment, but also one that greatly mitigates the negative effects of groundwater/deep aquifer overuse and drought. Cause like you've said, 80% of it is agriculture... the water doesn't have to be -particularly- pure.

Vyemm Raider
38d 10h 5m
i know it would shit on some wildlife, but why not just do a better job of water capture from rivers. pipe it /divert part of it up into a basin and let it soak into the water table.

iannis

Chairman Meow
36d 2h 36m
I think they've already exploited most of their rivers.

It's like in the east. If there's a place where it makes sense to build a dam, there's already a dam there. Further exploitation will have significant effects downstream.

They've already lined a few rivers with concrete to stop them from moving. Kind of impressive. Also kinda dumb, sorta.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
15d 12h 26m
I think they've already exploited most of their rivers.
River water is spoken for all the way back to the continental divide. It's acually illegal for people in colorado to collect water from their house downspouts because it's supposed to go to CA.

Edit: Upon looking it up, it seem the part about downspout collection isn't true any more, but it was until 2016.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
15d 12h 39m
This Camp Fire is horrific. 42 confirmed dead, 200 missing, 7000 structures burned in Paradise, California. Has anyone made a "Paradise Lost" joke yet? Because it sounds like it's fucking lost.

Borzak

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
54d 23h 20m
it's so alien being from the Gulf Coast. we have entirely too much water and would like for it to stop bothering us.
Yeah. Here it's all about how to get rid of water. I had a conversation with a guy at the Phoenix office were I used to work and he couldn't believe with the rain we got in East Tx, Louisiana, and MS that everyone didn't have things to catch rain water off their roof. I was like "why?".

Did the fire eventually run it's course and out of fuel or did the weather change with wind shift or something or is it still going and hasn't run into something again?