TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Outsider

Genre: Mystery, Drama, Crime

First aired: 2020-01-12

Creator: Richard Price

Cast: Ben Mendelsohn, Cynthia Erivo, Bill Camp, Mare Winningham, Jason Bateman, Paddy Considine, Julianne Nicholson, Yul Vazquez, Jeremy Bobb, Marc Menchaca

Overview: When an insidious supernatural force edges its way into a seemingly straightforward investigation into the gruesome murder of a young boy, it leads a seasoned cop and an unorthodox investigator to question everything they believe in.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is pretty cool. I recall this being a really forgettable Stephen King book but it sure does make for good TV.

Hosix

All labs matter!
So far so good. The first two episodes were solid and kept me interested. I did not read the book. Jason Bateman is great in this. He totally sells that “local guy who coaches all the kids” thing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked the book, thought it was pretty cool in concept and the setting is near where I grew up so i liked that. Been looking forward to this one, actually.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Watched the first episode last night, good start. I haven't read the book either. Jason Bateman is fastly becoming one of my favorite actors.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm interested in this but I'll wait until the season is out in full so I can binge. Fuck this week to week HBO shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Thought this was shaping up to be another "The Night Of" or whatever that hbo show about the guy on trial for murder was, also with the same actor playing the lawyer

Kinda tempted to Google the plot summary of the book

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thought this was shaping up to be another "The Night Of" or whatever that hbo show about the guy on trial for murder was, also with the same actor playing the lawyer

Kinda tempted to Google the plot summary of the book

Don't. I'm happy it was forgettable enough that I don't remember it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So is this going to be like most Stephen King stuff where the payoff is shit? No details just yes or no.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The end is not great. It's kind of predictable, after a certain point, so you're just waiting for it to happen. Maybe they jazz it up for the series, idk.

If it were me (because I'm a better writer than fucking stephen king, of course) i'd have just been a little more subtle and a little less concerned about putting that bow on it. More Pet Semetary and less whatever this is.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is getting better. They're deviating a lot from what I remember in the book... which is not much. But whatever. High quality television boys!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started the show last night and watched all 3 episodes. It is typical HBO quality TV and the story is intriguing at this point. So far, so good.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My WTF is going on meter is filling so hell ya to that

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Couple of episodes into this and it's pretty good so far. I'm getting some True Detective Season 1 vibes every now and again from the shots and the general creepy wtf vibe.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm glad i didn't read the book b/c the show does a very good job of not revealing too much too fast. I still have no idea what the supernatural element is exactly. From what i gather a person gets 'marked' with some kind of cut or bruise which somehow materializes your doppleganger who's sole job is to ruin your life.. & can somehow magically appear to children in their home.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is building up pretty well. Since this creature does this regularly I like that the authorities just go with the most plausible explanation and ignore the rest. As that is what people would actually do.

I do always enjoy paranormal stuff in this way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I had no knowledge of the book/whatever going in, so it was nice seeing things unfold without expectation.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Last week when they introduced the black savant woman I thought the show might nosedive because sjw shit but it hasn't.

Still enjoyable, nice to see Paddy Considine in this.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We will see how this plays out, but I have a feeling this should have been 6 episodes, not 10. The last 3 episodes haven't progressed the story or provided any memorable moments.

Without Ben Mendelsohn giving the show gravity and focus, this would have slipped into Sci-Fi level schlock.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database