The Place Beyond The Pines

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...he_pines_2012/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjes7u9Vewc

The daring new movie from the director of Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond the Pines is a sweeping emotional drama powerfully exploring the unbreakable bond between fathers and sons. Luke (Academy Award nominee Ryan Gosling) is in constant motion, a high-wire motorcycle stunt performer who travels from town to town with the carnival. Passing through Schenectady in upstate New York, he tries to reconnect with a former lover, Romina (Eva Mendes), only to learn that she has in his absence given birth to their son Jason. Luke resolves to forsake life on the road and to provide for his newfound family, taking a job as car mechanic with Robin (Ben Mendelsohn). Robin soon discovers Luke's special talents, and proposes to partner with him in a string of spectacular bank robberies. But it is only a matter of time before Luke will run up against the law - which comes in the form of Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper). Avery is an ambitious rookie cop navigating a local police department ruled by the menacingly corrupt detective Deluca (Ray Liotta). When Avery, just beginning to balance his profession and his family life with wife Jennifer (Rose Byrne) and their infant son AJ, confronts Luke, the full consequences will reverberate into the next generation. It is then that the two sons, Jason (Dane DeHaan) and AJ (Emory Cohen), must face their fateful, shared legacy

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Just watched this. Long, but quite an experience. Might hit you in the feels. The less you know going into it, the better ie. don't read the paragraph above.

Szlia

If there is a thin line that separates brilliant from ridiculous, this movie, for me, crosses it back and forth in all categories (like the use of music - here totally bullshit, there totally great). Still, the story and structure were unexpected and there is a classic tale feel to it that is not without charm.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Another overrated one for me. Ryan Gosling's act was by far the best and by the end I was just waiting for it to end.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just re-watched drive, can't wait for Only God Forgives so I grabbed this one to hold me over, have heard mixed reviews, we will see this weekend.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I really do not know how I feel about it. I can agree that Ryan Gosling carried the movie and it got slow towards the second half. I enjoyed it, but it was up and down for me.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
This movie was filmed where I live...still have not seen it. Gosling was walking around places in full getup during production too, friends have pictures of him in the same crap he's wearing in the movie. Was wondering what that was about.

Df~_sl

shitlord
Movie was interesting until halfway through... the rest just carried on and then... nothing...

I feel like I wasted an hour watching this movie.

Should have just rewatched Drive.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Haha.. Glad I stopped watching this movie around the half way point, right after
Gosling dies.
My wife fell asleep, had planned to finish it another day but now I don't think so.

Szlia

People mention Drive over and over, but The Place Beyond The Pines is from the writer/director of Blue Valentine.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I only recently saw Blue Valentine and I was on the fence about seeing this. Blue Valentine was depressing as fuck. Good acting and all that, just... ugh, holy shit. I'll probably give this a pass for a few months if it is more of the same.

Szlia

I have not seen Blue Valentine so I really cannot compare the two movies. But Nicolas Winding Refn being Nicolas Winding Refn the 'more Drive' hitch will probably be scratched by Only God Forgives.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Mike Patton did the music for this movie. Probably the only reason I'd want to see it.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I'm torn on how I feel about this movie. On the one hand, it's a film about the sins of our fathers persisting from generation to generation, and it's kind of a neat story (if you're in a story-listening mood). On the other hand, it's a bit pretentious and heavy handed, and the ending doesn't really give a payoff (unless you can relate to the situation, maybe - which I would think would be extremely rare). Overall, I'd say it was a bit too artsy for my taste.