The Professor and the Madman (2019)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Professor and the Madman (2019)

Tagline: The incredible true story that defined our world.

Genre: Drama, History, Mystery

Director: Farhad Safinia

Cast: Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, Natalie Dormer, Ioan Gruffudd, Jeremy Irvine, Brendan Patricks, Adam Fergus, Jennifer Ehle, Brian Fortune, Aidan McArdle, David Crowley, Kieran O'Reilly, Bryan Murray, Oengus MacNamara, Christopher Maleki, Sean Duggan, Bryan Quinn, Steve Gunn, Malcolm Freeman, Joe McKinney, Olivia McKevitt, Shane Noone, Robert McCormack, Ronan O'Connor, John Morton, Abigail Coburn, Paul Gough, Lucas Browne

Release: 2019-03-07

Runtime: 124

Plot: Professor James Murray begins work compiling words for the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary in the mid 19th century and receives over 10,000 entries from a patient at Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum , Dr William Minor.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
A film about the creation of the Oxford English language dictionary featuring Mel Gibson and a moving performance by Sean Penn. It focuses on the role played in the creation of the dictionary's first volume, in the late 1800's, by a former U.S. army surgeon. The man was committed in a British insane asylum at the time for the murder of a random passerby who he mistook for a phantom that tormented him nightly.

This was a well acted, entertaining and sentimental period piece that I enjoyed quite a bit. I felt that a few of the scenes were a bit overly theatrical at times but apart from that I have no complaints whatsoever which is a very rare thing for me when it comes to film. Give it a watch if you're in the mood for a good, character driven story.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
giphy.gif

Fuck it I'm just gonna start dropping this gif every time I run into a TBT-TheBigToe TBT-TheBigToe post.

Movie looks alright enough.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone else here seen this? The trailer looks good, but the $7 rent / $10 buy is annoying. Reviews weren't great.

Screenshot_20190604-202253_Gallery.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Has anyone else here seen this? The trailer looks good, but the $7 rent / $10 buy is annoying. Reviews weren't great.
sure a good enough watch, tho i only had context cuz...

i heard it on a podcast!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I cannot actually believe I just thought to myself I may actually enjoy a movie about the drama behind the creation of the English Dictionary.

What have I become.

But I am old enough (as are most of us here) to remember and love Gibson before the whole Jew fiasco and still watch everything he is in in spite of his crazy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
He's definitely batshit crazy, but I figured they'd be more obvious explaining why he killed the guy in the alley.

I'm assuming it's because he looked somewhat similar to the deserter he has branded.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He's definitely batshit crazy, but I figured they'd be more obvious explaining why he killed the guy in the alley.

I'm assuming it's because he looked somewhat similar to the deserter he has branded.
i don't think they gave a real reason either, the real story.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Was that the explained reason or assumed?

It's a true story. The guy was a Yale-educated doctor who volunteered for the Union Army during the civil war.....then he promptly went through the Wilderness campaign and had to go from a life of absolute luxury to deciding which dying boys should get their limbs amputated or which ones should get a priest and a shot of whiskey.

Presumably he went nuts because it was also his job to deal with deserters---and that included branding their faces with a "D" on the left cheek.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm pretty sure I saw this story on an episode of Drunk History. I recommend watching that instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database