The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
During watching that BOTW, I was laughing at Mack's 2IC as he covered his face etc watching Roar.

Then afterwards I did a read up about that film, after finding out that there are actual real injuries suffered by the cast being shown. Bites from lions and the actress getting her leg broken by the elephant. Yikes!

I guess he had known about the film, and knowing what you're about to see must have really got his nerves on edge, I can kinda understand now.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I really enjoy these guys commentaries and hearing intelligent discussion on movies. I really wish they did episodes more often.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i knew Rich Evans was going to be making a cameo in that one. sad part is after Kirk i know about as much about star trek as a millenial. i like Patrick Stewart, but i didnt care for TNG.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I only liked TNG - I lived in Halifax one summer and my roommate and I smoked dope, drank earl grey tea (no joke) and watched syndicated TNG every single day. Fond memories. They had really great points on how anyone who only gets the fandom of TNG will never understand the true character of Picard and how and why he was popular. The new show is going to be complete shit. Evans point on NOPEing out as soon as he saw that karate kick reflected my own.

Edit - I had to IMDB the lead actress from Midsommar because it was killing me that she looked familiar and I could not for the life of me remember what recent movie I saw her in - she was The Bruce's wife in Outlaw King.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They had really great points on how anyone who only gets the fandom of TNG will never understand the true character of Picard and how and why he was popular. The new show is going to be complete shit. Evans point on NOPEing out as soon as he saw that karate kick reflected my own.

In one episode Picard solves a tense diplomatic situation by reading through the applicable treaty. We spend some of our limited run time with Picard just reading the fucking thing. His solution to the problem of needing more time to evacuate some settlers is to request third party arbitration (as it is outlined in the treaty) with the chosen arbitrator a species of alien currently hibernating.

No karate action, no technobabble, no phasers and no asspulls. Picard used his thinker.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Newest episode has Patton Oswalt. I cannot stand him. This may be the first one I skip.

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
How did they pull patton? Also... why did they pull Patton? You know these guys watched the new MTS3k.

I get the feeling that Patton's actually a really nice guy. It's just his comedy that sucks for the past 15 years or so. He shows up in so many small parts in so many random things though. Kinda think patton has become one of those "he's famous in the LA scene" sorts of guys.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
ok, tbh, this is the funniest thing that Oswalt has done in years.

LOL. It's genuinely funny though. I don't think he's entirely kidding... but of course he knew what to expect.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Oswalt used to be my favorite comedian; his comedy skits that avoid or only lightly touch on politics are great.

He is the epitome of someone that would appeal to a huge swath of the country if he would keep his fucking mouth shut outside of his specials. We need a generation of comedians and actors that follow in the footsteps of Tom Hanks, Kevin Costner, and all the other ones that just keep their thoughts private.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
How did they pull patton? Also... why did they pull Patton? You know these guys watched the new MTS3k.

I get the feeling that Patton's actually a really nice guy. It's just his comedy that sucks for the past 15 years or so. He shows up in so many small parts in so many random things though. Kinda think patton has become one of those "he's famous in the LA scene" sorts of guys.

He was in their Space Cop movie, and he does Mystery Theatre 3000 or whatever so the RLM stuff is probably something he'd watch on his own.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Politics aside his book Spaceship Zombie Wasteland is awesome and he did the reading for the audiobook. One of the stories he tells, "The Victory Tour", is about a booking he landed at a club in Canada after coming in 2nd on Star Search (or something). The club owner is a shitbag, the crowds don't like him and there is an escaped mental patient is on the loose. It's honestly one of my favorite short stories of all time.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Oswald was starting to become a real fucking SJW cuck but this puts a little currency back into his wallet for me. I've enjoyed his comedy over the years, it is a little more cerebral and literary by times, but I have enjoyed it for the most part. His presence on MST3000 was token, because he was overshadowed by that fucking ex gamer girl harpy clinging to relevence whose chipmunk buck teeth make me shudder. The guys commenting on the movies were great but the cut scenes were horrible, and not campy horrible like the old series - they were trying way too hard.

Anyway, I digress. The Plinko episode was great and Oswald seemed genuine. He was a little too.....I dunno.....mainstream?.........smart?......for the RLM banter. Not to say RLM are not smart, it is just that their irreverential dialogue is what makes them funny and Oswald didn't QUITE fit in. But he was better than Culkin by a long shot.

All I know is that it says something about entertainment today when "celebrities" start showing up on our internet pop culture. What does it say.........?