The Shannara Chronicles

Goatface

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Shannara Chronicles

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2016-01-05

Creator: Miles Millar, Alfred Gough

Cast: Austin Butler, Ivana Baquero, Manu Bennett, Aaron Jakubenko, Marcus Vanco, Malese Jow, Vanessa Morgan, Gentry White

Overview: A young Healer armed with an unpredictable magic guides a runaway Elf in her perilous quest to save the peoples of the Four Lands from an age-old Demon scourge.

Goatface

[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 98560[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]The Shannara Chronicles[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Action & Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2016-01-05[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]A young Healer armed with an unpredictable magic guides a runaway Elf in her perilous quest to save the peoples of the Four Lands from an age-old Demon scourge.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Dear Readers,

I am very excited and proud to tell you that the dream to turn the Shannara books into an epic television series has just become a reality. MTV has officially ordered the first season of SHANNARA, which will be 10-episodes, and based on The Elfstones of Shannara.

Miles Millar and Al Gough are writing the series, and have done an amazing job with the scripts they?ve written at this point. I really couldn?t be happier with how it?s all coming together, and I am very much involved in the process.

Jonathan Liebesman will now direct the first 2 episodes.

I am Executve Producing along with Al Gough, Miles Millar, Jon Favreau, Jonathan Liebesman, and Dan Farah, who I began this long journey with several years ago. Sonar Entertainment is our studio partner. It?s a terrific team and I greatly appreciate and respect each and every person on it.

As previously announced, Jon Favreau was going to direct, however, due to scheduling conflicts he is unavailable to do so, but remains very passionate about the project and will stay on board as an Exec Producer.

I?ve been dreaming about seeing these books adapted properly for thirty-five years, and now its really happening. So let?s all celebrate dreams coming true. I will continue to keep you all posted as things progress.

All good wishes,

Terry
i read the 1st series when they came out, but don't remember a thing about them atm

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I've read a couple of the Shanara books, years ago. Don't remember much about them, so can't say one way or the other if I'm excited about this. I am a bit sceptical though, it being an mtv production.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Only thing I really remember is the first book(Sword of Shannara? i think) being a rehash of LoTR.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Shannara is lame, and I don't see how MTV makes it worthwhile. I'm curious if Favreau really had a scheduling problem. In Brooks's defense, Shannara was better than most of the contemporary work. It just hasn't held up as well as older stories.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Always liked the Shannara series but again I read it back in the late 70's when I was a kid. Least to me not as good as Tolkien but enjoyed more than Lion Witch Wardrobe, don't remember a lot of good fantasy back then.

Don't really see the problem with MTV, Teen Wolf is pretty decent and the teen drama while annoying at times isn't too bad. I'll give it a chance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I predict that it will be like and even campier and lamer True Blood. Take a book series that is only marginally decent to begin with, and make it even worse.

TheOkapi

Molten Core Raider
The books are retarded derivative drivel, and the show is destined to be shit*.

*Since the books are so shitty, there may be only up for the show to go. I don't expect MTV to try that hard though, so it's pretty unlikely.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The original Sword of Shannara was the first fantasy book I read. I loved it. 25 years later and a ton of books later and I can firmly say it sucks. There are some good plot ideas but it was such a LotR clone its hard to get by that.
Elfstones gets leaps and bounds better. Its almost like a different author wrote it. Couple of years ago I read the Word and Void trilogy and it was OK. Picked up the following books and was happy to see them turn into Shannara. If he would have stayed in that part of the story and left the Sword and Wishsong out people might have a different opinion on these books.

That said... Its MTV... It will suck.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Guessing this will go the way of the Sword of Truth tv series that was on a few years back

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Guessing this will go the way of the Sword of Truth tv series that was on a few years back
I'm ok with that and that's coming from guy who has an original Keith Parkinson painting of Soul of Fire in his living room. Plus that show gave us Bridget Regan
smile.png

Karloff_sl

shitlord
The original Sword of Shannara was the first fantasy book I read. I loved it. 25 years later and a ton of books later and I can firmly say it sucks. There are some good plot ideas but it was such a LotR clone its hard to get by that.
Elfstones gets leaps and bounds better. Its almost like a different author wrote it. Couple of years ago I read the Word and Void trilogy and it was OK. Picked up the following books and was happy to see them turn into Shannara. If he would have stayed in that part of the story and left the Sword and Wishsong out people might have a different opinion on these books.

That said... Its MTV... It will suck.
There was an interview with Brooks a few years back that he pretty much admitted to the Sword being a clone of Lotr but his stuff got progressively better and I agree I enjoyed how he put the Word/Void series together with Shannara. I'm behind on the series though, think the last was the bearers of the black staff.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
"If" they start at Scions and do the Scions/Elf Queen/Druid/Talismans path, then it could be pretty good. Hell, if they just do a series about Brona and the first council (I think there was a novel called First King, that talks about Jerle's fuckup. Might be wrong!) it could be pretty good. But Sword is a complete LOTR ripoff, and should be skipped. Elfstones and Wishsong are much, much better, with the later novels (at least up through the Heritage series) being fairly decent.

Admittedly, I read that series when I was 9 and NIN's PHM was my music of choice. Listening to any part of that album takes me back to Elfstones and Wishsong, and wishing that Sword wasn't so wordy with so little gain.

Edit: I'm curious why they haven't approached Leah Eddings for the rights to either the Sparhawk books or the Garth books. Mallorean and Eleniad, I think. The first Sparhawk series was hilarious, while the Tamuli (Domes of Fire, The Shining Ones, The Hidden City) was effectively the same but written better with stronger characters. An entire series of Stragen and Ulath dealing with Thalesian politics and the underground would be great TV, imo.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was an interview with Brooks a few years back that he pretty much admitted to the Sword being a clone of Lotr but his stuff got progressively better and I agree I enjoyed how he put the Word/Void series together with Shannara.
Yeah he really did improve considerably. Honestly the early shitfest books aren't fully his fault, that's just where fantasy was at the time. That's not a full excuse, there were amazing writers breaking the mold like Zelazny and Moorcock etc, but when the books came out they weren't the worst of the crop by a long shot.

I barely made it through the first 2 Shannara books and just swore the series off. Couple years later I read the Word and Void trilogy and enjoyed it a lot without making the connection in my head. Really had no idea it was connected at the time.

You'll notice a pattern here from the people that liked the series, they all read it as kids=P

iannis

Musty Nester
It was just pulp. It was derivative and weak on plot and internal consistency but it was strong on style. Great fodder for middle schoolers playing dnd at lunch.

Elfstones was the best. He told a story with that one. Wishsong was mostly an elfstones rehash. I've read his second trilogy, and while it's stronger in a lot of technical ways it suffers on style.

They won't, but if they could capture the style and ambiance of sword stones song they could make an endearing bit of television.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is a lot of cool things they could do in theory, the wishsong being musical in nature could play into MTV but like Noodle said... MTV was all I needed to read to be disappointed.

The series with the Shadowen (is that the elfstones/wishsong/elven queen/druid saga?) would be great for TV, given all the crazy shit they do and would even have some good siege style battles.

Alternatively, if they found a way to shorten the Voyage storyline into something that wasn't 18 months on an airship there is a lot of potential there. Zombies, warlocks, automated sentries with lasers ripping people to shreds. Could be fun to watch.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database