The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan (2023)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan

Genre: History, Adventure

Director: Martin Bourboulon

Cast: François Civil, Eva Green, Vincent Cassel, Romain Duris, Pio Marmaï, Lyna Khoudri, Louis Garrel, Vicky Krieps, Jacob Fortune-Lloyd, Marc Barbé, Patrick Mille, Julien Frison, Ralph Amoussou, Eric Ruf, Rachel Kwok, Alexis Michalik, Ivan Franěk, Thibault Vinçon, Nicolas Vaude, Dominique Valadié, Gabriel Almaer, Christophe Dimitri Réveille, Pascal Fonta

Release: 2023-04-05

Plot: First half of a two-film adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' novel.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They keep trying to make new ones, and always fail to top the 1973 version; but it's not their fault, as who can compete with this cast:

MV5BYTc1NjU2MTktMjA4OC00MzQ5LTk0Y2EtMjFmOGFhYjQzMTIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMTM3NjMzMjkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI5MDkwOA@@._V1_.jpg
threemusk6.png
FqBG4TXWIA0shD7.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will watch this. I like Eva Green well enough and it is actually French. I also like how gritty it looks. Has a more realistic time period feel to it.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They keep trying to make new ones, and always fail to top the 1973 version; but it's not their fault, as who can compete with this cast:
Couldn't agree more but I did enjoy the '93 version with Sheen, Sutherland, Curry etc. It was campy and fun to watch.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the British TV series was too bad either.

I read Dumas when I was like 8 and these were one of the first books I ever read so these stories hold a special place in my heart. Here is hoping that this movie being French and not american will keep it non woke.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

MV5BYTc1NjU2MTktMjA4OC00MzQ5LTk0Y2EtMjFmOGFhYjQzMTIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMTM3NjMzMjkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI5MDkwOA@@._V1_.jpg
threemusk6.png
FqBG4TXWIA0shD7.jpg

I know what you're saying but it's an awesome story and the French are damned good at making period pieces. If anyone is going to do justice to Dumas it's them.

Uncertain why there's a second movie called Milady though. That seems odd as she generally parts way with her head at the conclusion of the story.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know what you're saying but it's an awesome story and the French are damned good at making period pieces. If anyone is going to do justice to Dumas it's them.

Uncertain why there's a second movie called Milady though. That seems odd as she generally parts way with her head at the conclusion of the story.
Well, I have more faith in the French to make it well, than I would Hollywood of the last 30 years. They can make it different in tone, and still keep it close to the book; which may be interesting. I never read the book, but some reviews of the 1973 movie say that they mostly added some humor to an otherwise spot on adaptation. So this one could be super serious and dirty.

As for the second movie, it was originally titled just The Four Musketeers and it covers the second half of Dumas's book.

It was shot at the same time as first movie. Originally, it was all going to be one 3+ hour long movie, but the studio gave them a deadline for release. They couldn't meet that deadline as one movie, so they cut it in half (according to the producers). Most of the actors and crew didn't know about the split until it was well into post production cutting and felt they had been swindled. They later sued to get paid for the second movie, but won much less money than what they were paid for the first.

There is now a clause in all Hollywood contracts called the "Salkind clause" (named after the producers), due to those movies. It states that a movie can not be split unless it's set up that way in the contract (or a new contract is made, I would assume).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Random fact, Rory Kinnear, of Bond fame, is the son of the late Roy Kinnear who died falling from a horse while filming The Return of the Musketeers.

• 1Like

Szlia

Ok cast. Meh director. Bad screenplay writers. La Reine Margot this will not be. It probably will sell a lot of tickets though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
These days I really like The Man in the Iron Mask but god damn was I ever fucking sick of DiCaprio when it first came out.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ever since he was raped by that bear it's been easier to stomach him

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could be good, but probably won't watch. No new ideas anymore and tired of the same stories.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Rereading Count of Monte Cristo currently. Always up for Eva Green. She's on my Mt Rushmore of hotties.

Szlia

Ended up seeing this a while back in theater and was "positively disappointed" to use a regionalism. By this I mean it was significantly better than I thought it would be. It's no masterpiece, but the cast is nice and the pacing is good so it is reasonably entertaining. I am not super fond of some of the choices and I can't comment on the adaptation as I am not familiar with the original work.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database