The West Wing

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The West Wing

Genre: Drama

First aired: 1999-09-22

Creator: Aaron Sorkin

Cast: Dulé Hill, Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, John Spencer, Bradley Whitford, Martin Sheen, Joshua Malina, Mary McCormack, Alan Alda, Jimmy Smits, Kristin Chenoweth, Janel Moloney

Overview: The West Wing provides a glimpse into presidential politics in the nation's capital as it tells the stories of the members of a fictional presidential administration. These interesting characters have humor and dedication that touches the heart while the politics that they discuss touch on everyday life.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Didn't see a thread on it. (Surprising)

Anyway ...new special episode thing.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Aaron Sorkin writes some of the best dialogue on TV. Sadly he is a flaming liberal. If you can put that shit aside, his shows are really worth watching. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was light years beyond 30 Rock (same concept and same release year). 30 Rock was aimed for simpletons and Studio 60 was for non-simpletons. We all know how it turned out.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Aaron Sorkin writes some of the best dialogue on TV. Sadly he is a flaming liberal. If you can put that shit aside, his shows are really worth watching. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was light years beyond 30 Rock (same concept and same release year). 30 Rock was aimed for simpletons and Studio 60 was for non-simpletons. We all know how it turned out.

Studio 60 was fucking amazing. It integrated faith and politics in a non shitty, non stupid way that was thoughtful and thought provoking. I was so sad that show was cancelled after one season, I think it could have been magnificent. I suspect the integration of faith is part of what killed it. In everything that Sorkin writes there are these hints that he believes in God to some level. The episode of West Wing where Mrs. Landingham dies is particularly powerful. The scene in the National Cathedral. Quoting scripture in Latin and screaming at God because of injustice. It's not an immature Christian who does or writes that.

But yes, his shows in general have some of the best dialogue on television. Sometimes it's almost too fast paced.

He's a flaming liberal, but I'll watch anything he produces.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Aaron Sorkin writes some of the best dialogue on TV.

Sure, if you're prone to thinking platitudes and one character shoving morals down another character's throat and them just standing there stunned as if they "got got" is good dialogue.

Aaron Sorkin shows are the Coldplay of TV

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sure, if you're prone to thinking platitudes and one character shoving morals down another character's throat and them just standing there stunned as if they "got got" is good dialogue.

Aaron Sorkin shows are the Coldplay of TV
Well ok then. Thanks for the tip.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I liked this performance a lot. Sterling K Brown is great, but he's a bit too flat for Leo.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It was a different read of the character, but in doing so it highlights the aspect that the actor injects into the words. Same words, different delivery.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah this was an interesting take on an old episode. I enjoyed it.

Side note...everyone is old except Rob !@# Lowe

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is this even-handed or just anti-Trump stuff? I'd like to check it out, but I don't want it to ruin my re-watches of West Wing

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
  • 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TWW is a flamboyant, opiniated and riveting tale about how US politics (kind of) were 20 years ago. It's a dem-biased, bad-for-good, moralitstic conundrum story about White House affairs back in the day. Besides that, it's also a very well written and produced TV show with utterly stong acting, good dialogues and top notch development. It's of course not aging well these days but if you're into top tier TV shows you shoul definitely give it a watch.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
really enjoyed this. Having watched TWW multiple times, this was like catching up with old friends.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
My last hijack post....

My favorite version of the intro theme for sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
NECRO TIME!

I am not sure why/how I missed this show when it first came out but I finally got around to watching it now. I'm mid-way through the 1st season but could tell by the 2nd episode that this was a good series. I know it's left leaning but I try to watch it for the writing not the politics. I do have a question for anyone who watched it when it originally ran, was the politics shown on it topical at the time or just random?

One of the episodes was about the teamsters threatening to strike over full time and half time pay rates, that is an episode from 1999 that was headlines last month with UPS.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
NECRO TIME!

I am not sure why/how I missed this show when it first came out but I finally got around to watching it now. I'm mid-way through the 1st season but could tell by the 2nd episode that this was a good series. I know it's left leaning but I try to watch it for the writing not the politics. I do have a question for anyone who watched it when it originally ran, was the politics shown on it topical at the time or just random?

One of the episodes was about the teamsters threatening to strike over full time and half time pay rates, that is an episode from 1999 that was headlines last month with UPS.
That's the funny thing about politics, if you watch it for long enough you realize it's all reruns. I spent a lot of time during COVID watching a lot of old movies from way back in the 1930s or even earlier. Many of them were quite political and it's all the same shit.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That's the funny thing about politics, if you watch it for long enough you realize it's all reruns. I spent a lot of time during COVID watching a lot of old movies from way back in the 1930s or even earlier. Many of them were quite political and it's all the same shit.
so does that mean they were topical? Because I almost did a spit take about the half pay shit. Like why the fuck didn't that get resolved then?

TV show information provided by The Movie Database