The Wonder Years

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I saw the thread title, clicked on it, then saw picture with the black family.

"Oh, this is a joke right?"

Right?!?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't have a problem with a reboot and I don't have a problem with a black family. The problem I have is going back to the 1960s again. The original chose that time period for boomer nostalgia and it did so to good effect. This has chosen that time period again to continue pulling open old scars of racism.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a problem with a reboot and I don't have a problem with a black family. The problem I have is going back to the 1960s again. The original chose that time period for boomer nostalgia and it did so to good effect. This has chosen that time period again to continue pulling open old scars of racism.
yeah when I heard about this, I assumed it was gonna take place in the mid to late 90s, and into the 2000s, assuming it ran a while (aka roughly the same amount of time back as the OG wonder years compared to when it aired). Going back to the 60s is dumb.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Prediction!

One of the things that impressed me about Mad Men was the discipline the writers used in not constantly including famous people and historical events of the 60s and 70s. You were in the time period of course but every episode wasn't an opportunity for the characters of Mad Men to meet the Beatles or a Kennedy or whatever. It was more organic.

This show is going to be piles of clunky cameos.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have a prediction too. This show will suck ass, will get canceled and all of us will be called racists for not watching it.

• 1Worf

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They won't have the Joe Cocker enterance, it's not black enough.

I was going to go with a joke post about them probably choosing some guy beat boxing, but Jimi Hendrix was performing over this time frame. His music would be a good intro for a show I'll never watch.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Notes from episode 1 -

Cold open, first line of dialogue is from narrator Don Cheadle. "Growing up mom and dad gave me the police talk, how to act around police. There was a presidential election that created a racial divide and There was a flu pandemic that they said would kill a million people but it was 1968 and that was the state out country was in. Yep. Even the flu part."

Forty seconds in "the previous summer's race riots had caused the first wave of White Flight to the suburbs." The mom has a degree with Tuskegee University and his father is a music teacher and funk musician. "Folks like my dad didn't believe we needed to mix with white people to be better off but my dad put his money where his mouth was. He always hired the black doctor, black accountant, the black plumber, and often he'd have something we called black regret [shot of dripping sink].

Scene of white kids seeing black kids using water fountain and walking away. Dean's only white friend is Jewish. They're on different peewee baseball teams and want to play against each other for practice but Dean's black coach is against it. Dean's mom shows up. "Why would you want to play against a bunch of white boys" she asks. "Exactly" says the coach. "Why does it matter?" "Oh, it doesn't to us but trust me it will to them."

Scene in class where white girl tattles on black kids and white teacher scolds them for their black behavior. White friend whispers "hey, she's not prejudiced." Narration - "but was she? In my memory she was but she also gave us black students extra attention if she thought we had potential. Which may still have been racist. I don't know."

We're 11 minutes 39 seconds in.

Bully beats up Dean for acting white.

Interracial baseball game happens (bit of humor), game ends with news of MLK being shot. Dean bikes to his friends and see's his best friend kissing the girl he has a crush on and we out.

Production quality is good, acting is good, lots of good music but this episode is all race all the time. Race race race. Race. Compared to the opening of the original series where we see Kevin's first day of junior high concluding with Winnie's brother dying in Vietnam and the two of them sharing a kiss it just didn't work for me. Starting on the day of the assassination of MLK is fine but because almost every scene up until that point was about race it's just one more race thing. Dean is 12 and he doesn't know what is really going on in the world (as the narration tells us) but the audience is just clubbed with it over and over. Dean doesn't exist in the time we see him. He's very obviously a rear projection of today back to 1968.

I can actually see a decent show in here if they can just calm it down some.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Writers can't help but to try to scold their viewers though. Hollywood knows better than you, you need to check yourself when you watch!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Dean is 12 and he doesn't know what is really going on in the world (as the narration tells us) but the audience is just clubbed with it over and over. Dean doesn't exist in the time we see him. He's very obviously a rear projection of today back to 1968.

I can actually see a decent show in here if they can just calm it down some.

How could we ever foresee this happening.....

Oh,

Goddammit.

I love Dule Hill, but this just seems like it is going to be woke trash. This just screams "1960s style racism doesn't actually exist in the US anymore so let's just go back to the 60s to show it and make everyone think it directly correlates with today!"

I totally fucking called it.

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

Disney has cut ties with Fred Savage as the executive producer and director of The Wonder Years after an investigation into allegations of "inappropriate conduct" was launched.

In a statement to Fox News, 20th Television, which is a subsidiary of Disney Television Studios, said it has cut ties with Savage.

"Recently, we were made aware of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Fred Savage, and as is policy, an investigation was launched. Upon its completion, the decision was made to terminate his employment as an executive producer and director of The Wonder Years," the spokesperson said.

Innappropriate? For Disney?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

joz123

Potato del Grande
He was on the it's always sunny in Philadelphia podcast saying he would get hammered and do stupid shit. Must be related.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Innappropriate? For Disney?
these old ones?
maxresdefault.jpg

12673542-6956319-image-a-64_1556131709151.jpg

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Hard to find deets on this one that's not from previous stuff, and both network and his peeps are keeping it tight lipped for now.

42454.jpg

I think it's obvious by these similarities in appearances, the fact he's a straight white male, the fact it was Disney, firing him, and the fact that the only thing that matters in this world is the court of public opinion that the dude was Pappa'd!