They aren't smart in Texas

iannis

Chairman Meow
36d 2h 36m
I wonder what it's like to be on a jury like that. Why is the figure SO high?

There had to have been something in the case that convinced the people the company was worth a huge buttfuck. That's so far beyond restitution.

Reactions: McQueen

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
27d 15h 57m
Defendants in this case (rightly) took a "we did nothing wrong" stance since it was, after all, the plaintiffs pickup truck that crossed the median and struck the 18 wheeler, not the other way around.

This is an anomalous jury verdict and almost certainly will be overturned on appeal, since all of the negligent hiring, etc etc causes of action rely on some action of negligence (and proximate cause!) by the 18 wheeler. It is unbelievable to me that the district court judge did not direct the verdict in favor of the defendants, but he didn't. This is why elected judges suck.

Also, anytime you go to trial you are rolling the dice. This should have been a zero verdict, but it wasn't. Juries can be crazy.

Brad2770

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
31d 10h 9m
This will see an appeal. No way these people win. On top of that, if they did win, just because the jury awards 89 million, doesn’t mean that is what is paid. In all realism, if it appeals and they still win, they will be lucky to walk away with 5 million after 10 years of bullshit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
5d 14h 39m
You work at a hospital where the staff use private keyed elevators because the public ones are full of piss, shit, sleeping homeless, and people shooting up. Let's not point fingers too much.
We do? Most hospitals, staff have to use the exact same elevators as everyone else. Certain hospitals have specific elevators for when transporting patients (these elevators are large like freight elevators).

Last edited:

Araxen

Vyemm Raider
49d 9h 5m
I feel bad for the Semi driver. He was driving reposibile by being way under the speed limit. Yeah, he shouldn't been driving in icy conditions, but the driver in the 4-wheeler shouldn't have been either.

Gavinmad

Bronze Baron of the Realm
86d 13h 35m
I feel bad for the Semi driver. He was driving reposibile by being way under the speed limit. Yeah, he shouldn't been driving in icy conditions, but the driver in the 4-wheeler shouldn't have been either.
not only was evidence contradictory as to whether conditions were icy or just damp, but driver guidelines do not somehow create legally binding obligations to third parties or prove negligence that could not be shown otherwise.

Chanur

Not Soygen
<Gold Donor>
45d 19h 22m
He makes no money if he isn't driving and was a complete non factor in this incident. He was the only one involved that was driving responsibly.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos