This American Life podcast

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This post contains some language which we have unbeeped. If you prefer a beeped version, go fuck yourself.

Seriously though, that newest episode, "Three Miles", shit hit home. Still, to this day, I feel like those kids did. I have this constant feeling that I am a fraud, I don't belong, I will be found out. No matter how much I do or accomplish. I feel like that in school, at work, conferences, everywhere. This stuff is all for "them", not me. It was kind of shocking to hear that coming from those kids and realizing "oh wow... this is a thing, it isn't just me".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's already a podcast thread in general?

EDIT: Oh fuck amod bullshit.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The first part where the Puerto Rican girl who basically broke because she learned that her entire life was built to be a servant to other human beings for the rest of her life is poweful...and so fucking true. The entire podcast really puts into light the newest generations lack of social mobility through what out predecessors have built over the last century. These schools are shit. But programs like No child left behind did not make it better. Private school is fine...but not creating a baseline funding level across the board in our era is flabberghasting. That girl was brilliant and it broke her. And all these idiot teachers were celebrating this special thing that never happened.

What was she going to say? I actually never had a chance of winning the scholarship lottery and failed spectacularly?

Every fucking problem we have ties in with income disparity ...in my opinion. And nobody in any level of government has the audacity to even attempt to fix it.

Did you listen to 534: a not so simple majority? Or the two part " cops see it differently" series?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's a complicated problem and politicians don't like complicated problems. I was talking to my sister this weekend who is a social worker in Child Protective Services about intergenerational poverty, drug use, and general fuckedupedness and honestly if you made me dictator for a day and my number one goal was fixing that shit I have no idea what I would change.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The first part where the Puerto Rican girl who basically broke because she learned that her entire life was built to be a servant to other human beings for the rest of her life is poweful...and so fucking true. The entire podcast really puts into light the newest generations lack of social mobility through what out predecessors have built over the last century. These schools are shit. But programs like No child left behind did not make it better. Private school is fine...but not creating a baseline funding level across the board in our era is flabberghasting. That girl was brilliant and it broke her. And all these idiot teachers were celebrating this special thing that never happened.

What was she going to say? I actually never had a chance of winning the scholarship lottery and failed spectacularly?

Every fucking problem we have ties in with income disparity ...in my opinion. And nobody in any level of government has the audacity to even attempt to fix it.

Did you listen to 534: a not so simple majority? Or the two part " cops see it differently" series?
Yeah it was sad to listen to that, these teachers are oblivious thinking they are doing this great thing exposing kids to different cultures, instead they pulled back the curtain and showed this girl the reality of her situation and she just crumpled up and died.

Both of those episodes you mention are great. The jewish one is so frustrating, because really what side can you be on? Both sides are correct. With the cops though...

yeah man all of these problems are identified, but I have no idea what the right course of action is.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for posting this Chaos! I had never heard of this podcast I will definitely check it out.

Elsebet

Peasant
Listening to this now, have been a TAL podcast subscriber for years and really enjoy it. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is great too.