Timeline: The Legend of Zelda

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why not be a Zelda thread? Is anyone else just no longer interested? I'm at the second set of "collect three things" (I think) in Skyward Sword and, frankly, the game has been mostly tedium. I don't remember feeling that way in prior editions. I'm also realizing that I suck at wiimote-ing. Or maybe I just would rather sit down and smash buttons to relax

Also, this is not Legend of Zelda, its Legend of the Hand Holding Confirmation Menu. Jesus fuck I've never had to waggle confirm so much shit before. And all the "new" finds of old shit even like 20 rupees?!

Chris

Potato del Grande
"Hey Link, you have just been told that you have to do something by the actual characters in the game. I am going to explain it to you again with a non skippable animation and dialogue for absolutly no reason at all, creating an unnessesary pause in the game."

I CARED about Midna, I don't even remember fully what the new fairy was called (Fi?). It was one of the worst video game characters of all time until Diablo 3 happened pushed her out of the top 3.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Replaying the GC version of Twilight Princess on the Dolphin. I only played the Wii version initially when it first came out and man this is way the fuck better playing with a real controller again. Looks pretty good too, except for Hyrule field which is extremely sparse and barren. How much detail is in Link's model is fantastic though and dungeons look pretty good.

I want to play Skyward Sword, but unfortunately it requires a Wiiremote Plus or a Wiimotion Plus to play it, no way around it at all. I'm sure as fuck not paying the prices they want for one either, but if a good deal pops up on slickdeals or something I may pick one up. It's really gay that they forced the waggle garbage into this series, I really wish there was a controller option for it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There really should be an option for WiiMote-less play. Skyward Sword is pretty great, but some of the motion controls are horrendous - particularly flying. There are a couple items that make good use of the WiiMote, but not enough to make it superior to a regular controller.

I should give Twilight Princess another whirl using Dolphin. I only played it on Wii.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I should give Twilight Princess another whirl using Dolphin. I only played it on Wii.
The GC version is definitely an infinitely more enjoyable experience. Plus Link is properly left-handed in it. The Wii version's entire map and world was totally mirrored, so it's like playing a slightly different game with much better controls.

Caeden

I'm inching closer to finishing skyward sword. The dungeons are shorter but can be pretty brilliant. That said the overworld fetch questing feels tedious at best. I HATE the wii. It's interesting that the Wii U doesn't really have near the emphasis on motion controls. I think it's Zelda entry could be much more enjoyable.

I beat twilight princess, but ill be damned if I can't remember anything about it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I really enjoyed Twilight Princess. The dog portions were pretty annoying (as are the light vessel portions in Skyward Sword) but TP is a very good game overall. The Sky City is a great temple and the item you get in the desert temple is the shit. That boss is a lot of fun.

Caeden

I've considered going back to OoT to see if it could still grab me like ALttP still does on my 1 once every two year vaunt. I still remember nuances from link to the past and ocarina that I haven't remembered about any Zelda since.

Majora's Mask is awful though and frankly I haven't played the handheld Zelda's either. I have a copy of LttP on my old style DS..or I guess it was really GBA.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No, he's right. Majora's Mask is pretty bad. I like how extensive all the side quests are, but the actual core game is pretty bad. The mask concept had so much more potential.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I really enjoyed Twilight Princess. The dog portions were pretty annoying (as are the light vessel portions in Skyward Sword) but TP is a very good game overall. The Sky City is a great temple and the item you get in the desert temple is the shit. That boss is a lot of fun.
Plus it has the hottest Zelda

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, he's right. Majora's Mask is pretty bad. I like how extensive all the side quests are, but the actual core game is pretty bad. The mask concept had so much more potential.
Majora's Mask is not only a great Zelda game, it's one of the best games ever.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I liked Majora's Mask for what it was, but man I fucking hated the time-limit system in it. Time-restricted games like that are stupid and I hate the concept, especially in a series that has been about exploring. I'm dreading Lightning Returns since it has a similar system. It also sucks a ton of the fun out of the newer Atelier RPGs from Gust.

Chys - Sheryl > all.

Caeden

Fuck that time limit system.

I would be fully on board to play a 3-D re-interpretation of A Link to the Past using the design in that fake trailer though.

I think after oceans, the sky, and the waggle-ification of the series, I'm ready for a new overland exploration and straight dungeon Zelda. No hand holding or guiding mini quests. Just explore and discover while a basic Zelda plot keeps it moving. It seems each adventure gets way more structured with respect to overland exploration. Now it's basically light dungeoning and feels very streamlined in Skyward Sword.

I still think Majora's Mask is awful.

Caeden

Completed Skyward Sword finally. I gotta say it came together nicely toward the end, but fuck the motion controls particularly on last fight. Seemed so hard to get your sword vertical, but I think maybe this being my little cousin's Wii the accelerometers and such have been beat around by kids.

I could do without motion controls period. I'm over them. I could also do without the Silent Realm/Twilight Realm dog stuff. I'm ready for a gritty Zelda.

SPOILER:
I'm pretty sure this is the first one where Link and Zelda end up together at the end, or at least that's how I took the ending. The next Zelda should be interesting about where its based. I gotta figure at this point they've done Ganon and the Master Sword's origins, they've done the Imprisoning War, they've done the outcome of both timelines....I'm ready for a 3-D A Link to the Past with some twists. I'd rate Skyward as better than Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, but worse than Twilight Princess which is second to the Tie of OoT and LttP.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
You guys are crazy. Zelda CD-i is the best Zelda

http://youtu.be/Y4SLjLen7-c

HZcHKd8.jpg